yconic - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, SOMEONE HELP ME....
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, SOMEONE HELP ME....

A photo of BrunoMars BrunoMars
Okay so Im really stressed thanks to chemistry...
I have 3 courses this sem, and 3 the next.

Chemistry, my firt quiz wasnt so swell: 65%
And my first unit test, 2 days ago... Idk yet... but i didnt feel to confident...

I need an 85 in chem, and I can balance that out with my other courses to get the 87-89 average I need, but if its like a 60, I cant do much...

WHAT DO I DO? DROP CHEM? IS THERE A CHANCE FOR ME TO EVER GET THAT 85 OR IS IT FULLY JEAPORDIZED?

TAKE NEXT SEMESTER? AND IF THEY DONT LET ME TAKE NEXT SEMESTER, CAN I TAKE IT IN NIGHT SCHOOL?

ANYTHING?

PLEASE!!!!!!! HELP?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of bubblepenguin bubblepenguin
see what you get on the chem test first. if its bad, talk to your teacher about it and then decide
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZKevin AZKevin
First of all, calm down. Dropping chemistry would be a ridiculous idea at this point. An 85+ in chemistry is still very possible. Quizzes aren't worth that much, so you could slack off a bit, but unit tests are very big, especially in science.
It's only been a month and 2 weeks since the start of school. It is way too early to project any type of mark for any course at this time. My advice to you is to keep studying, and if you're struggling then talk with your teacher after school or find a tutor. Usually both are free depending on your school.
Dropping chemistry is the very last option, and I highly disregard it unless you truly know you're going to fail the course or get a very low mark.

I hope this helped =).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BrunoMars BrunoMars
I'm not too sure...
Like, what if I do really bad on my unit test...? Then what do I do? Should i redo it next semester or do it in night/online school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheReid TheReid
Do wait until you know what you know your latest mark for sure. Even if it's in the 60's range you can still get your mark up if you work at it. If you work hard and you still don't seem to be able to get over these two things (which I highly doubt) and you still want a higher mark, then it should be possible for you to go into summer school. You're allowed to go into any subject just as long as you took it in school and just wanted to do better at it (as far as I know, it might work different where you live). Thus, dropping Chem in that respect is ill-thought out. Go through the course, get used to what you have to know, and do it again IF the need comes, but, again, I doubt you'll have to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sinkeepumpkin sinkeepumpkin
I highly suggest seeking out an advisor, or some other form of academic counselling, you can pose these questions, too. They're there for this reason. Your professor might also be able to offer some suggestions to help you figure out the best course of action.

Being a student isn't easy. It downright sucks sometimes, especially when it comes to exams. But, if your finding the course is just too much, I would suggest asking for some advice from a person at your institution, before dropping the course. They might be able to understand your situation better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
There's always McDonald's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Here's some solid advice. What are you going into? If you're bad at the subjects that are required for your program, do you think it's a good idea going into that program? I'm just being realistic. Chemistry becomes much more harder and advanced in university. Follow your strengths. Now if it's a matter of you not trying hard enough, then I say to try harder. On the other hand, if you're trying really hard and doing poorly in chem. then I think you should go into a program that does not require it. No point stressing over subjects. Been there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
^that is very good advice.

Okay you have a few options, three in my opinion...

1) stick with the course until the very end. the chemistry exams are worth a lot and so are the projects near the end so in the last month and a half ish of the semester you will have like 30-40% of your mark still undecided, and that is a lot of room to improve.

2) take it at one of the sketchy private schools which practically let you take your exams home. if you can get the credit there and still enroll in oct then drop it at day school.

3) What the previous poster said....probably the best piece of advice here....do you really enjoy chemistry? it does not seem you are enjoying it now...and even if you do get the mark you need, then what?...university chem is much harder..and for the next four years you will be stressed like you are now? Why not pursue a program you actually like? In grade 11 i also did bad in chemistry, dropped it, and took different courses in grade 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hard07 hard07
just give up on it. if you cant do grade 12 chem, you cant do uni chem. unless there was a real reason behind it, drop it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Sorry to sound negative but if you cannot handle highschool chem, what makes you think you will survive the rigors of hard sciences in university? Even the best students in high school experience drops of 15-25% in their grade when transitioning to uni. An ambition that cannot be fulfilled is no different than wishful thinking.
Was this helpful? Yes 0