yconic - Pls help, SFU vs WLU
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Pls help, SFU vs WLU

A photo of wuyifan17 wuyifan17
Hello,everyone. Is SFU or WLU better for business and economics? Which one should I choose? Glad to collect your advice!! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of g93 g93
I'm really not sure, SFU isn't really ever compared to eastern schools, and I don't know too much about SFU specifically.

If I had to guess, Laurier would be better. I would think everything out of Queen's/Ivey/Sculich/McGill/Rotman/Laurier would be better than SFU, with UBC somewhere in the middle.

Mind you if you want an accounting designation, you wouldn't have to worry about provincial branches and stuff if you went to SFU.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
I'm really not sure, SFU isn't really ever compared to eastern schools, and I don't know too much about SFU specifically.

If I had to guess, Laurier would be better. I would think everything out of Queen's/Ivey/Sculich/McGill/Rotman/Laurier would be better than SFU, with UBC somewhere in the middle.

Mind you if you want an accounting designation, you wouldn't have to worry about provincial branches and stuff if you went to SFU.

Thanks for your reply. Do you mind asking which university you prefer to go? It seems that many people like to choose Laurier. I heard that the Co-op programme in Laurier was quite good. But I have no idea how good is it compared to Co-op in SFU? And do you know any other pros of going Laurier in terms of class sizes, teachers and job opportunities??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
I'm going to spoil it to you: no one here is going to give you the perfect answer.

The people from Ontario are going to tell you to pick Ivey/Laurier/York/Mcgill/Queens and how they are all MUCH better than UBC

People in BC are going to tell you to go to SFU and will question you: "what's Laurier"?

To be honest I didn't even know what Laurier and Ivey were until I came to this forum and they seem to be the "norm".

Which is the "better" or "best" school is going to be different depending on who you talk to, since there is no straight answer because different schools suit different people. It's illogical to jump to an automatic conclusion that one is above all. For example, some prodigy A+ student will probably find Rotman best because of the oppertunities that exist for top students, while the regular B student probably will find WLU or Ivey better due to more student support and a livelier student life (co-op, parties, better career center, etc.)

In terms of rankings, Mclean's ranked SFU the #1 Comprehensive University in Canada, just right above Waterloo. Now this is an overall ranking, so I don't know what the ranking for Business is.

But to answer your question, I don't think you could go wrong with either. I don't think you will be denied a job just because you picked WLU over SFU, or vice versa.

SFU will be less expensive and perhaps even easier and has excellent co-op, while WLU will cost more but the program is good as well. Browse the sites a bit more of each website. See which one gives you a better feel. Or, even look up employment statistics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@forthewinwin wrote
I'm going to spoil it to you: no one here is going to give you the perfect answer.

The people from Ontario are going to tell you to pick Ivey/Laurier/York/Mcgill/Queens and how they are all MUCH better than UBC

People in BC are going to tell you to go to SFU and will question you: "what's Laurier"?

To be honest I didn't even know what Laurier and Ivey were until I came to this forum and they seem to be the "norm".

Which is the "better" or "best" school is going to be different depending on who you talk to, since there is no straight answer because different schools suit different people. It's illogical to jump to an automatic conclusion that one is above all. For example, some prodigy A+ student will probably find Rotman best because of the oppertunities that exist for top students, while the regular B student probably will find WLU or Ivey better due to more student support and a livelier student life (co-op, parties, better career center, etc.)

In terms of rankings, Mclean's ranked SFU the #1 Comprehensive University in Canada, just right above Waterloo. Now this is an overall ranking, so I don't know what the ranking for Business is.

But to answer your question, I don't think you could go wrong with either. I don't think you will be denied a job just because you picked WLU over SFU, or vice versa.

SFU will be less expensive and perhaps even easier and has excellent co-op, while WLU will cost more but the program is good as well. Browse the sites a bit more of each website. See which one gives you a better feel. Or, even look up employment statistics.

haha,you are right!! I'm just asking for any information about these two universities . No matter what other people say, we have to collect and analyse these information by ourselves,not just completely follow others' words. I hope that everyone can share any information they knew and that's all. And I found that the tuition fee in both SFU and Laurier were similar. But the living cost in vancovour is higher than that in Waterloo. If I get it wrong, please correct me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Buzz Buzz
It was a long time ago (early 80's) but two of my uncles got their undergrad. HBA degrees from Wilfrid Laurier, went on to do MBAs at McGill/UBC (one yr each) and York, and are hugely successful. -one has been an investment banker in Paris for more than twenty years, and one a world director with Coca-cola, having lived in several different countries. -and another of my uncles, their brother, did Waterloo engineering, MBA at Queen's and is a successful financial officer in a big international company and said the most successful top 40 under 40 guys that he knows did his underg. at Trent.........so lots of choice
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Buzz wrote
It was a long time ago (early 80's) but two of my uncles got their undergrad. HBA degrees from Wilfrid Laurier, went on to do MBAs at McGill/UBC (one yr each) and York, and are hugely successful. -one has been an investment banker in Paris for more than twenty years, and one a world director with Coca-cola, having lived in several different countries. -and another of my uncles, their brother, did Waterloo engineering, MBA at Queen's and is a successful financial officer in a big international company and said the most successful top 40 under 40 guys that he knows did his underg. at Trent.........so lots of choice

wow, that's awesome!!! It's true that as long as you work hard and smart enough, you can achieve success from any other universities. Thanks,bro. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@forthewinwin wrote

Most students choose Ivey over Rotman.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slowwy Slowwy
I would have to say that their admissions are pretty similar and they both offer coop program. Notes that WLU's coop is not guranteed and that only a certain percentage of them make it. If SFU gurantees you coop, i'll go to SFU.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@wuyifan17 wrote
Thanks for your reply. Do you mind asking which university you prefer to go? It seems that many people like to choose Laurier. I heard that the Co-op programme in Laurier was quite good. But I have no idea how good is it compared to Co-op in SFU? And do you know any other pros of going Laurier in terms of class sizes, teachers and job opportunities??

Class sizes are fairly typical, the two Business classes and economic in first year are huge and in lecture halls, but you do have the labs which are smaller. Some of the later years classes are really small and much more personal.

The professors from what I hear are quite good.

There are many great job opportunities. A fair number of Big 4 positions, a number of CATO jobs, a 96% post graduation job rate (after 6 months), and for a university not known for finance, they get some good jobs (even some in NY/US). Most UFE Gold Medal Winners, high UFE pass rates.

I do not know a ton about SFU, so I can't say for sure how it compares. But I know many Laurier graduates who are successful.

If I were in your situation, I would probably pick SFU as it would likely be cheaper and is fairly similar to Laurier, and then you don't have to worry about designations province-to-province (not 100% sure how it works).
Was this helpful? Yes 0