yconic - PoliSci/Economics VS PoliSci/Int'l Relations
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

PoliSci/Economics VS PoliSci/Int'l Relations

A photo of EgyCanadian EgyCanadian
Hey Guys,

I wanted to know, which is a more useful/valuable degree to have, double Major in : a)Political Science and Economics or b) Political Science and Int'l Relations?

I'm in Grade 12 right now and I know want to do Political Science with another major for my Undergrad (With the intention of going into Law School for post-grad). But there is a problem, here are my averages in my 1st semester courses so far:

Politics: 95%
Law : 86%
Geomatics:98%
Advanced Functions: 68% :(

And I'm planning to take the following courses next semester: Economics, English, Calculus and Vectors.

That's the problem! I'm applying to Western, and they require both Advanced Functions and Calculus as prerequisites for their Economics program! Math is not my strong point as you all can tell, it's the only course I have a problem in, HOWEVER I think if I really try I can get my average to at least 80% by the end of the semester, but even that seems challenging right now (In MCR3U last year I finished with 80%) I really hate maths.

So my question to you is this...is a degree in Economics that much more useful to have than one in International Relations? or any other similar program?

Because if it isn't, I'm thinking of dropping my Calculus next semester and taking something else which I can do better in and then go into PoliSci/Int'l Relations at Uni.

I thought about dropping Advanced Functions this semester too BUT I think I should continue the course in order to keep my options open for the future. For example, Western offers a dual degree program with the Richard Ivey School of Business where you can do any program of your choice at Western for the first 2 years (such as Poli Sci), then earn an Ivey HBA in the last 2 years. That requires at least one math, so taking Advanced Functions would keep my options open.

Help and advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
International relations is a field in political science, you don't need to take it separately. Keep calculus, just don't include it in your top 6. You only apply to one program, double majoring doesn't happen until after first year. Keep calculus so you can take Econ courses in university. Pol Sci is useless.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Respects wrote
International relations is a field in political science, you don't need to take it separately. Keep calculus, just don't include it in your top 6. You only apply to one program, double majoring doesn't happen until after first year. Keep calculus so you can take Econ courses in university. Pol Sci is useless.

Yeah, I just learned that I declare a second major after first year, so I will just apply for PoliSci (therfore Advanced Functions and Calc won't be counted in top 6), and declare an Economics major later.

And if Poli Sci is useless, why are you taking it? :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@Respects wrote
Read signature.

Yeah a JD is my goal as well. So we basically have the exact same plans.

Politics is my passion and that's why I want to study it. I know it is a degree you can't do much, but like I said, that doesn't matter because I will be getting a JD after it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0