yconic - Possible to get a single room as an Engineering freshman in UofT?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Possible to get a single room as an Engineering freshman in UofT?

A photo of jasonty9 jasonty9
Just wondering...

I know that most(all?) engineering students in UofT are living in either New College or Chestnut, but since Chestnut forces freshmen to take double-room, and I didn't select New College as my residence interest because it looks bad... I don't know if I can still find a single room to live in one of the UofT colleges.................

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also I wonder do Engineering applicants get to rank the colleges according to our preference? I don't remember if I did it or not... and I couldn't find my ranking again in OUAC...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of LindaS LindaS
For engineering students, the only way to guarantee a single room is if you apply to Innis.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LindaS wrote
For engineering students, the only way to guarantee a single room is if you apply to Innis.

oh how do you apply to innis then.....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
You indicate your interest in Innis on your residence preference form, which is part of your SPF.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote
You indicate your interest in Innis on your residence preference form, which is part of your SPF.

but i don't get to rank them.. so how does UofT know which one I want to go the most? Or they just randomly assign one for me?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote

but i don't get to rank them.. so how does UofT know which one I want to go the most? Or they just randomly assign one for me?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jasonty9 wrote

@iliketurtles wrote

I think maybe you get to rank them once you're accepted. I really have no clue, juts indicate your interest in Innis and hope for the best I guess, lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote

@jasonty9 wrote

@iliketurtles wrote

I think maybe you get to rank them once you're accepted. I really have no clue, juts indicate your interest in Innis and hope for the best I guess, lol

lol... Innis doesn't look very cool either :( I wish I could live in Chestnut but they discriminate our first year students!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well from what I hear Innis is pretty boring too, but that's just what friends tell me. I wouldn't say it's discrimination haha, just you'd have to pay twice as much for a single room, and Chestnut is already one of the more expensive res's to begin with so..
Just out of curiosity, why do you want a single room so bad?
I was pretty against the idea of having a roommate, but I spent a month living in a dorm for some exchange thing with a roommate and it actually wasn't that bad. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was a lot better than if I had had a single room. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote
Well from what I hear Innis is pretty boring too, but that's just what friends tell me. I wouldn't say it's discrimination haha, just you'd have to pay twice as much for a single room, and Chestnut is already one of the more expensive res's to begin with so..
Just out of curiosity, why do you want a single room so bad?
I was pretty against the idea of having a roommate, but I spent a month living in a dorm for some exchange thing with a roommate and it actually wasn't that bad. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was a lot better than if I had had a single room. :P

I just want to have more privacy on my own...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WaterfallOfDestiny WaterfallOfDestiny
University College (UC) has some single rooms.

Keep in mind, though, it might get lonely when you're holed up in a tiny bedroom.

About Innis, it's the most competitive to get into - presumably because it's the cheapest and has the best study spaces. It's quiet, but you know it's because a large percentage of residents are academically-focused. =D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

crap just checked the application deadlines for most of other colleges and they are all on the beginning of Feburary.....

or it doesnt matter to me because i am an engineering applicant?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It doesn't matter because you're an engineering applicant :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
Have you gone to the Residence Preference Form (or whatever it's called)? Because that's where you fill out which residences you are most interested in staying at, indicate your preference for single/double room, etc.

Now, as for the single vs. double debate, let me throw my two cents in. I was like you initially, thinking "I definitely don't want a roommate, what if they're terrible, how will I study/sleep with another person in the room, etc." For this reason I asked for a single room when I applied. I got put in Chestnut in about April, and my heart sank. But then I went on residence tours. Chestnut is the only res where you get your own bathroom (instead of shared for the floor), where you get a double bed, where the food is actually pretty good, and where you're 15 minutes closer to everything amazing about downtown Toronto (Eaton's centre, AGO, Nathan Phillips Square, Young & Dundas Square, etc.) than everyone else on campus is. Plus, the place is basically 40% engineering students, which means you'll have no trouble making friends.

Oh, and the roommate I was worried about? He's totally normal, respectful of my space and stuff, overall nice guy.

All I'm saying is don't get caught up in the single-room tunnel vision, consider the benefits and drawbacks of all your options. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@steele wrote
Have you gone to the Residence Preference Form (or whatever it's called)? Because that's where you fill out which residences you are most interested in staying at, indicate your preference for single/double room, etc.)

what.... where can you fill out that form? In my Portal you can only select the ones you want to go(can't rank them). I couldn't even tell them I want a single room...

but thanks you for sharing your experience! It takes away a lot of my fear towards Chestnut!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele

@jasonty9 wrote

@steele wrote
Have you gone to the Residence Preference Form (or whatever it's called)? Because that's where you fill out which residences you are most interested in staying at, indicate your preference for single/double room, etc.)

what.... where can you fill out that form? In my Portal you can only select the ones you want to go(can't rank them). I couldn't even tell them I want a single room...

but thanks you for sharing your experience! It takes away a lot of my fear towards Chestnut!

Yeah, that sounds like the one...the one I had just let me put checkmarks next to the residences I was interested in. I think it also let me indicate room-style preferences too though....

Don't worry about those preference forms too much though, they seem to base acceptance to Innis and New for engineering students on marks rather than preference :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@steele wrote

@jasonty9 wrote

@steele wrote

Yeah, that sounds like the one...the one I had just let me put checkmarks next to the residences I was interested in. I think it also let me indicate room-style preferences too though....

Don't worry about those preference forms too much though, they seem to base acceptance to Innis and New for engineering students on marks rather than preference :(

ok thanks! so you are currently in your first year Track One? What do you think of it? Is it hard to get a GPA over 3.5? Also, how do you find the programming course in Track One? I took some programming courses in high school but I got very poor grades... We were learning Python, I know it is a relatively easy language but I just couldn't get it.... :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0