yconic - post exam sadness?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

post exam sadness?

A photo of Cr?meGlac Cr?meGlac

Was this helpful? Yes 0
32 replies

A photo of cantkeepasecret cantkeepasecret
I am done my provincial examinations. I had two this session. I completed my re-write opportunity for Science 10 (after finishing Chemistry 11 with 96%). I think it went well. I already had an A in the course (92% blended mark originally), but I wanted to boost my percentage in the exam for the scholarship. I am very confident with my BC First Nations Studies 12 exam. I was only unfamiliar with a few multiple choice questions (out of 55--70% of the exam). The two essay questions were extremely easy for me to write about. I was actually excited to complete both.

When I have done badly on an exam, I just rewrite it (wonderful thing about provincial exams in BC!). When I wrote my Science 10 exam originally, I felt confident, but received a lower mark then expected. I was not confident in my English 10 exam whatsoever, but I achieved 88% on the provincial, bringing my mark to 97%. For a test in school, I just move on and focus on other courses to maintain higher average for university. Though, I would most likely be able to write the exam again in my new school...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Being in IB, your marks are a little more standardized than others. Your teachers should be following an IB marking scheme for tests and exams and IA's and such. The only inflation that there is room for is where they put you in a mark range. Eg. A 6 is about a 90%-95% depending on the course, so if you're getting a 6, you're going to be in that range, as prescribed by IB.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CrèmeGlacée wrote
Yes, but it is only standard in relation to other IB students... if that makes any sense. Also, we have to cover a lot of provincially required material that's not in the IB syllabus.

The way it works at my school is marks get converted from raw percentages to IB grades. On an IB exam, an 84/100 may be a 7, which translates to a 96-100%, but getting an 84% on a test/ exam right now would mean being predicted a 5, and there is no grade translation. Which is why my math portfolio brought my mark down last year. Although it was actually a 6, in raw percentage it was a 75%.

The worst are science labs, marked out of 6. Thankfully, our teachers don't include that in our grade.

But I'm not complaining... just wondering, does it work like this at every school?

That's true, but atleast universities recognize that they are standardized marks internationally, versus no standardization at all, if you know what I mean. I know what you mean about the provincial curricula not being covered. After my IB Chem exam in May, we spent all of June covering the material that Ontario would cover in order to gain credit for our Ontario grade.

The way it works at my school is almost the same I think...our raw percentages get converted to IB grades, but our IB grades are the ones that go on our report cards. For example, if I get a 77% on a chemistry test, that's a low level 7 which is a 97%. The test mark goes in as a 97% and if I keep my marks in that range, that's what I'm predicted at..a 7.

Your teachers shouldn't be putting raw percentages as your final mark, that makes no sense. The reason the grades are converted at all, is because that's how the difficulty of the IB course material compares to the regular Ontario course material. So if you're getting a 75% on an IB test, that isn't the same as getting a 75% on a regular Ontario test because the material is more difficult (usually). Atleast that's how we do it....

Our science labs go for a mark out of 48, as they should be (2 best in each category). Definitely not raw percentages.

I got an 18/20 on my math portfolio this year, which is a 7. It didn't go in as a 90%, it went in as 98%. Yours shouldn't have gone as a 75%, it should have gone as a 90 something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CrèmeGlacée wrote
Hmm, we covered all the Ontario material along with IB. It was fun carrying 3 textbooks for every class, haha.

Seriously? :!: Am I misunderstanding you? If not, I feel very disillusioned.
For us, a raw 77% is is 77%... a predicted 4 and a final grade of 77 as the final mark. So for me to be predicted a seven, I actually need 97 out of 100 questions correct.
Hence my sadness over this exam. If I end up with an 89.75% (raw), I'm going to be predicted a 5...
No grade conversion until final May exams. And it's always been like this at our school, and we've had the program for years.

What! That doesn't really seem fair. The difficulty of an IB exam is not the same as the difficulty of an Ontario exam, so how can you use a raw percentage like that.. The only time our grades aren't converted is when we aren't using IB questions.

Ok I still don't know if we're on the same page. Let's take one of my preparatory IOC's as an example.. I received a 23/30. The raw percentage is a 77%. However within IB's grade boundaries, a 23 out of 30 for the IOC specifically is a 6 (from the previous year). A 6 in turn is within the 90-95% range (I think, something close to that). At the teacher's discretion, seeing where I fell in the 6 range, she gave me a 92%.

Another example is a History in-class essay. I got a 10/20...a 50%. Based on last year's exam results, IB grade boundaries say that that is a level 4. A level 4 in history is an 82-86% (8-10/20), so I received an 86%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@CrèmeGlacée wrote

For us, a raw 77% is is 77%... a predicted 4 and a final grade of 77 as the final mark. So for me to be predicted a seven, I actually need 97 out of 100 questions correct.
Hence my sadness over this exam. If I end up with an 89.75% (raw), I'm going to be predicted a 5...
No grade conversion until final May exams. And it's always been like this at our school, and we've had the program for years.

Wow that's so harsh. Do your teacher's make their own test/exam questions, or do they use past IB exam questions? All of my teachers use past exam questions and mark according to the markscheme, so it's only fair that they do the conversion since the markschemes are pretty ridiculous.

It doesn't really make sense that you'd get a 77% raw score on an IB style test and you'd be predicted a 4, because if you got those exact same questions on the real exam then you'd be a 5 or 6 or 7 (depending on the subject, of course).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cherrypie725 wrote

@CrèmeGlacée wrote

Wow that's so harsh. Do your teacher's make their own test/exam questions, or do they use past IB exam questions? All of my teachers use past exam questions and mark according to the markscheme, so it's only fair that they do the conversion since the markschemes are pretty ridiculous.

It doesn't really make sense that you'd get a 77% raw score on an IB style test and you'd be predicted a 4, because if you got those exact same questions on the real exam then you'd be a 5 or 6 or 7 (depending on the subject, of course).

+1. This is how we do it. Our teachers use questions from the IB question bank for our tests, and mark accordingly. IB mark schemes are weird, no half marks, marks taken off for random things... It's only fair to convert, and anyways, IB dictates the conversions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Seriously, I would approach your IB co-ordinator about this. That's completely unfair.

So your final exam is an old IB exam? You should definitely be getting the conversions. I don't know the exact grade boundaries for this year, but something like an 86-100 would be a 7 or a high 90 (varies per course). They should not be using your raw percentages!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CrèmeGlacée wrote

No wonder why I've been told no one has ever been predicted a 7 in certain subjects.
Oh well, at least I'm gaining knowledge. -.-

LOL don't worry it just means that your final marks will be much higher than your predicted score. Of course this only applies if you actually do tests with IB questionbank questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Here, we were actually given a marking thing for History.

You can't even get a 50% converted...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Whoa okay that's REALLY inflated. Wow. I just got a 17/20 on my history midterm and that was a 91% OSSD.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cherrypie725 wrote
Whoa okay that's REALLY inflated. Wow. I just got a 17/20 on my history midterm and that was a 91% OSSD.

HL or SL?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

My history teacher always jokes that "you can't get lower than a 64%". I don't know what grade scale she's using since Paper 2 grade boundaries aren't the same since they're out of 40 and these are out of 20 :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
How is that even fair for BC people who DO NOT have mark conversion? I have all 7s and 6's in my IB predicted scores but they do not get translated into my transcript. I receive raw scores on my transcript, but I still get 90% above. No wonder it isnt as high as others wiuth like 98% average
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cliffhanger33 wrote
How is that even fair for BC people who DO NOT have mark conversion? I have all 7s and 6's in my IB predicted scores but they do not get translated into my transcript. I receive raw scores on my transcript, but I still get 90% above. No wonder it isnt as high as others wiuth like 98% average

For the most part that doesn't even matter, universities will look at your IB scores consider those for admission. If they look at your percentage grades then they'll know that your school doesn't do conversions because of the discrepancies.

I don't really see the logic in not doing conversions (and by doing conversions I mean within reason, of course). My school ONLY converts IB assignments and tests... IAs, IOCs, exam question tests, etc, since the marking by IB standards is MUCH harder than OSSD standards. It's really unfair that you would be punished for being in a more challenging program.

@ninetyfour wrote
HL or SL?

SL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cherrypie725 wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote

For the most part that doesn't even matter, universities will look at your IB scores consider those for admission. If they look at your percentage grades then they'll know that your school doesn't do conversions because of the discrepancies.

I don't really see the logic in not doing conversions (and by doing conversions I mean within reason, of course). My school ONLY converts IB assignments and tests... IAs, IOCs, exam question tests, etc, since the marking by IB standards is MUCH harder than OSSD standards. It's really unfair that you would be punished for being in a more challenging program.

Yes, but it is unfair for schools like McGill that do NOT consider your IB predicted scores if u are doing a provincial system concurrently with IB diploma. It is extremely unfair for a lot of ppl who are punished for simply taking a harder course load.

Also, for many scholarship purposes, such as Western, etc, they look at final IB scores to receive top scholarships, and chances of attaining the highest average after an IB exam that is worth like 80% of your marks is tough. For example, western wants a 41 for 10k or a 95% average in high school. a 95% average in high school after scaling is much easier than getting a 41/45

Also for Queen's, Queen's gives scholarships based on scores without bonus (39+), so a person with 38/42 can still have the option to attaining the top scholarship with their scaled provincial grades from IB conversions.

Sorry, just had to vent. Unfair for us IB-ers who are not from Ontario.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CrèmeGlacée wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote

Yeah, I don't understand why there's so much discrepancy between schools/ provinces.
But since you have 6s and 7s, I think universities will look at those marks instead. So don't worry. I asked and they say they take whichever mark makes you look better :)
For me to be predicted a 7, and have a 97 show up on my transcript I need a raw score of 97%.
I'm upset, but learning isn't all just about numbers. Whatever.

EXACTLY. For IB chem, my teacher will not give 7's unless you are a 95%+ RAW score. And ALL of his tests are from Paper 1 and Paper 2, as well as those design labs. ALL unscaled. I hit a 92% raw score and he was like" ya thats a 6, sorry. I only give 7s for 95+"

It's rough for us.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cliffhanger33 wrote

@CrèmeGlacée wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote

Yeah, I don't understand why there's so much discrepancy between schools/ provinces.
But since you have 6s and 7s, I think universities will look at those marks instead. So don't worry. I asked and they say they take whichever mark makes you look better :)
For me to be predicted a 7, and have a 97 show up on my transcript I need a raw score of 97%.

EXACTLY. For IB chem, my teacher will not give 7's unless you are a 95%+ RAW score. And ALL of his tests are from Paper 1 and Paper 2, as well as those design labs. ALL unscaled. I hit a 92% raw score and he was like" ya thats a 6, sorry. I only give 7s for 95+"

It's rough for us.

That doesn't even make sense though. If you were to get the same thing on the real IB exam, it would be a 7 ...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ninetyfour wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote

@CrèmeGlacée wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote

It's rough for us.

That doesn't even make sense though. If you were to get the same thing on the real IB exam, it would be a 7 ...

My school doesnt see it that way
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted