yconic - Potential Waterloo Co-op students: Co-op Statistics So Far
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Potential Waterloo Co-op students: Co-op Statistics So Far

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
So the first round of co-op for the 8-stream (Most of the first year Math/Eng students) is over and Waterloo co-op has published its employment percentages so far. I thought these intermediate results might help some of you make any decisions you may have.

Note: I could link you but you need a username and password to access it.

ENGINEERING

Nanotech: 21 employed out of 115
Mech Eng: 25 employed out of 120
Management: 6 employed out of 61
Electrical: 16 employed out of 69
Comp: 26 employed out of 57
Software: 63 employed out of 114

Total Eng: 142 employed out of 653 (software is not a part of this calculation - I left out a few eng disciples)

Note: Some Engineering students were on 4-stream thus are already on coop. I'm not 100% sure but some of these programs have options for 4 stream or 8 stream (Comp Eng, Mech Eng) so the numbers may not reflect the entire program *EDIT: I just checked and there were quite a few electrical/computer/mech students on 4stream.

*The majority of Systems Design and Mechtron students are on 4stream.

MATH/CS

Math/Bus DD: 13 employed out of 69
Math/Bus SD: 1 employed out of 15
Honours Math: 23 employed out of 101
Math/FARM: 3 employed out of 25

CS/Bus DD: 26 employed out of 58
Honours CS: 44 employed out of 113
CFM: 9 employed out of 33

All of Math: 110 employed out of 384

I'll post an update at the end of the term to give a more complete co-op picture.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of Mig Mig
Just a note about the employment rate of SYDE and Mechatronics students which are currently in co-op:

Before the work-term started:
SYDE 82/92 by Jan 26
MECTR 110/128 by Jan 26

Most up-to-date:
SYDE 86/92 by Feb 23
MECTR 119/128 by Feb 23
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Mig wrote
Just a note about the employment rate of SYDE and Mechatronics students which are currently in co-op:

SYDE 97/97 by October 6
MECTR 130/131 by October 6

Most of these programs will reach reach near full percentages by the end of the term. I was hoping to convey to employ-ability of the students in each program in the first round as it usually shows the priority that these first year students have when it comes to the job search. Do you have any statistics on SYDE/Tron right after the first round?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mig Mig
unfortunately no I don't.
I'm pretty sure we are getting our statistics from the same place.
i.e. the waterloo co-op stats found here: https://info.uwaterloo.ca/infocecs/students/statistics/index.php

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cg1234 cg1234
How do we find Stats about Software Engg students? Would appreciate if you put them up to!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cg1234 wrote
How do we find Stats about Software Engg students? Would appreciate if you put them up to!

It's there. You probably missed it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
This is probably hard to answer, but what would the salary range be for an SE co-op student first term without previous relevant work experience?

How difficult is it to get a co-op job in the first place? Should I prepare myself to the possibility of not finding a placement for first term? D:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@ninetyfour wrote
This is probably hard to answer, but what would the salary range be for an SE co-op student first term without previous relevant work experience?

How difficult is it to get a co-op job in the first place? Should I prepare myself to the possibility of not finding a placement for first term? D:

http://www.cecs.uwaterloo.ca/pdfs/weekly_earnings_information_2011.pdf for job earnings information.

On average, ~80% of students find a job their first term. The 20% that don't usually make some grave mistake in their job hunt (not applying to enough jobs, having a terrible resume, not trying very hard to find employment, etc.). Remember, there are people that don't apply to any jobs at all until round 2, or only apply to jobs that they have 100% of the qualifications for (which is impossible for a 1A student with no work experience...)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AgriGen AgriGen
Software engineers... can you think of a hotter commodity at waterloo :| I would not worry about a thing my friend lol. Brb upper range $1,300 excluding the top 10%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well if you look at the stats above, 1B Software Engineers have the highest employment percentages out of the first round (Which shows the priority). They also as mentioned bring in a ton of dough.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Solontus Solontus
There are tons of SE jobs for co-op at UW. The salary depends on many things including: work experience, extra-cirriculars, the position and the company.
A few companies actually have tables that determine your salary based on just the number of academic and work terms you have completed. Needless to say, another thing is the level of the position; intermediate/senior positions pay more than junior positions most of the time.
It's fine to be without work experience for your first work term as long as you have well developed skills that suit the requirements of the position.
The average is around $16/hour from the UW CECS website.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A lot of them are making 100k plus starting after graduation. I should of stayed an extra year in high school and applied hoped for SE!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@AgriGen wrote
A lot of them are making 100k plus starting after graduation. I should of stayed an extra year in high school and applied hoped for SE!

I don't know anyone good in CS that didn't graduate starting with the same salary.

I also distinctly beating out a bunch of SE people my first round of co-op... :P People overexaggerate how valuable/employable SE is, particularly over CS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@greygoose wrote

@AgriGen wrote

I don't know anyone good in CS that didn't graduate starting with the same salary.

I also distinctly beating out a bunch of SE people my first round of co-op... :P People overexaggerate how valuable/employable SE is, particularly over CS.

Employers generally don't care if youre in SE or CS. They view it as the same really IMO.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
I don't know if these stats should be posted so openly to the public. But SoftEng has a pretty high employment rate due to the number of jobs posted for the discipline. Same with CS. So unless you have absolutely no interpersonal skills, you will probably find a job in your first coop work term. maybe not the most ideal job that you want, but better than no job amirite?

The min salary is $12 for 1st coop term Engineers, and the average is $15. Unfortunately SE got placed under Engineering in order to bring up the engineering salary (lol). SE used to have their own salary range : P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think they should be public. Helps people make decisions.. but your right the statistics have been manipulated to make them look better. Bottom and top 10% have been removed. AFM salaries are included in arts.. which bring them up a lot. A lot of people dont find jobs and end up leaving coop or people get kicked out from low marks. They changed the rules but a lot of people were volunteering as well before or only receiving stipends.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If I were to not get employed in the first round, will it affect my graduation?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@AgriGen wrote
I think they should be public. Helps people make decisions.. but your right the statistics have been manipulated to make them look better. Bottom and top 10% have been removed. AFM salaries are included in arts.. which bring them up a lot. A lot of people dont find jobs and end up leaving coop or people get kicked out from low marks. They changed the rules but a lot of people were volunteering as well before or only receiving stipends.

The stats require a waterloo ID for access for a reason. I agree that people should know that Waterloo exaggerates when they say 95% coop rates for all engineers (or something big and high in the brochures..), but this should not affect a prospective student's decision. There's always going to be a difficult time for first years finding their first coop job or internship. After that it gets much easier. That's all there is to know, and the statistics don't even show student satisfaction, so it's not like everyone who actually found a first job is happy with their first job. And also, you should try not rely on Jobmine (Waterloo's job system) to find your jobs. Use LinkedIn, BranchOut, your networks, whatever website to apply outside of the system, and have a better chance. You cannot expect Waterloo to give you a job, you must earn it.

And no, it won't affect your graduation if you don't get a first job, it's only bad if you still don't get a job the 2nd time. You are given 6 coop work terms, you must complete 5 of them (this is for Engineering).
Was this helpful? Yes 0