yconic - PowerPoint vs Prezi
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

PowerPoint vs Prezi

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Which do you prefer: PowerPoint or Prezi? Why?

Discuss.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Personally, as a person watching a presentation, Prezis are neat, organized, and just really really cool if the person created it well. However, I tried making a Prezi but it was epic fail. It's hard to create one in comparison to a powerpoint.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@heesoup wrote
Personally, as a person watching a presentation, Prezis are neat, organized, and just really really cool if the person created it well. However, I tried making a Prezi but it was epic fail. It's hard to create one in comparison to a powerpoint.

I agree with this. I can rip off a PowerPoint in 5-10 minutes easy. It takes at least a few hours to throw together a decent Prezi.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
PPT. I'm old school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Wow I've never heard of Prezi before ... and I'm impressed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of NerdmobileDriver NerdmobileDriver
Prezi is by far my favourite. I love how easy it is, there is no need for custom animation between points (it's also got great timing from object to object, not too slow like some ppt animations are). I love how you can arrange your points into flow charts and shapes, which you can't do with ppt. I wish they had more designs and there was more flexibility with colours and fonts, but overall, it's much better to watch. I find it easy to make one, as well. I used to be a huge ppt fan until prezi came along. However, I have seen prezis get butchered before, specifically when people forget to make PATHS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of axiom2true axiom2true
I find Prezis difficult to watch, and I have only seen one good one, of about 10 I've seen.

I find both are somewhat lacking. However I prefer PPT, as I feel as though I'm pretty good at making PPT presentations now, after years of training : )
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@NerdmobileDriver wrote
Prezi is by far my favourite. I love how easy it is, there is no need for custom animation between points (it's also got great timing from object to object, not too slow like some ppt animations are). I love how you can arrange your points into flow charts and shapes, which you can't do with ppt. I wish they had more designs and there was more flexibility with colours and fonts, but overall, it's much better to watch. I find it easy to make one, as well. I used to be a huge ppt fan until prezi came along. However, I have seen prezis get butchered before, specifically when people forget to make PATHS.

Yeah, I really wish their were more designs too. And not being able to change fonts or bold them sucks. I think they should sell it as software, more people would probably buy it and want it on their desktops versus just the free version or buying online.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Ppt.
Way too old school to keep up with all these new creations.
@_____@
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ecabby ecabby
I prefer prezi, I don't find that it takes much longer than power point to make as long as you know what your doing. Prezi is new enough that it is still more eyecatching and more unexpected than PP. As long as you ensure that your Prezi is neat, if not done carefully it can turn into a confusing mess
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I actually prefer Keynote. I like it better than powerpoint but prezi seems interesting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of applekid applekid
Prezi's only work out well for students because they are forced to not put all the information on the screen, thus they don't read their presentation. Teachers usually rather see a crappy presentation then one with good information where the student reads.

However, if you have good presentation skills and know your information well enough, a keynote presentation is more effective.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of theboydetective theboydetective
Surprised that everyone knows about Prezi.
I think it depends on the kind of presentation you're doing. If you're going with straight facts and successful transmission, I think Powerpoint is probably best in that Powerpoint was created as a software analogue to actual slideshow presentations, which were created using the standard papers/books model of teaching. Prezi, I think, is better for presenting new ideas because it better allows one to show the relations between certain subtopics by using spatial qualities' abstracted connotations, which are found in pretty much every language (ie. the size, shape, and the space between ideas to illustrate their relationships (also things like colour may contribute)). Powerpoint is sort of like revealing a body by moving the field of view slowly from the head down, whereas Prezi is like revealing body parts individually and showing how they form a body.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@theboydetective wrote
Surprised that everyone knows about Prezi.
I think it depends on the kind of presentation you're doing. If you're going with straight facts and successful transmission, I think Powerpoint is probably best in that Powerpoint was created as a software analogue to actual slideshow presentations, which were created using the standard papers/books model of teaching. Prezi, I think, is better for presenting new ideas because it better allows one to show the relations between certain subtopics by using spatial qualities' abstracted connotations, which are found in pretty much every language (ie. the size, shape, and the space between ideas to illustrate their relationships (also things like colour may contribute)). Powerpoint is sort of like revealing a body by moving the field of view slowly from the head down, whereas Prezi is like revealing body parts individually and showing how they form a body.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorLawyerDentist DoctorLawyerDentist
PowerPoint.

I've seen two Prezi presentations, and even the one on their homepage was dizzying to watch. In the two other presentations, the other objects flying by the edge of the screen was distracting and the constant motion did not add anything to the presentation. The big picture was nice, but everything in between was just painful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
Powerpoint, considering I've never heard of prezi
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yesterday, I learned to make a simple Prezi so yay! :) Hopefully I will further learn how to create advanced, professional Prezis!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
I prefer powerpoint because I'm a staunch traditionalist. Actually, I just find Prezi distracting to a point that the visuals interfere with the information conveyed rather than aid it. I've found Prezi to only have a particular "wow" factor to people who have never encountered it before.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deathangel deathangel
I use Open Office Impress.
Prezi is interesting but I find the visuals a little bit too distracting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of athrunxo athrunxo
Powerpoint cause I'm used to using it, although Prezi is really good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
a GOOD Prezi is hard to do
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It seems to me like many teachers prefer assigning Prezis now, if they know what it is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0