yconic - Prerequisites: Physics for Life Science?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Prerequisites: Physics for Life Science?

A photo of hunt3rshadow hunt3rshadow
I'm in my junior year of high school and I'm almost done, but my Advanced Functions mark is not as good as I want it to be,(77%)(MHF4U1). So I was planning on taking summer school to boost it up to 85-90% to use next year when applying. The problem is I haven't taken Grade 11 Physics and I was planning to take it this summer so that I could take Gr 12 Physics during the year. Now that I have to take MHF4U1, I cannot take physics.

My dilemma is I planned on applying to UTSG/UTM life science, York life science and Waterloo life science. It seems they all put Gr 12 physics as a prerequisite or reccomended. So now I'm wondering as to whether take gr11 physics so that I can take gr12 physics or just take advanced functions?

So how would I fair without ANY physics background in life science (mostly biology).

Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
You'd be fine. I recommend taking Physics 11 eventually so you can atleast take the Physics 12 equivalent in uni if necessary. (Although technically you could take it without physics 11....)
I believe only UBC requires physics as a prereq for its general/lifesci science program, and that would be physics 11.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
Don't even need Phys 11 for UBC.
Just Chem 11.
You only need Phys 11 if you want to do the Pre-Pharm program.

Unless you plan on majoring in something that requires physics, most programs only ask for 1 year of physics, so you'd be fine without it. It would be a good idea though. Phys 12 covers quite a few first year physics topics, but there are some phys classes in university for students who have never taken Phys 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hunt3rshadow hunt3rshadow
I was planning on taking Gr12 physics in my senior year without gr11 physics if it's doable. I don't really plan on taking it for the mark or credit, just for the knowledge, is this a good idea? or bad?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of particle particle
If you wanted to take it for the knowledge, you could probably just buy/borrow a book and get as much out of it. Of course in class you get lab experience and teacher help. It's only a good idea if you say it is, but just consider some things, like maybe you're interested in another course and it might be more fun to take that one instead or you could enjoy a spare instead.

In your original post, you say pre-req / recommended. You should note these two things mean different things. If its a pre-req, then you have to take it, so it's a good idea to plan for that, even if you're adv. fun. mark isn't too great for you, you don't have a chance if you don't have all the pre-req. On the other hand, if you're willing to give up grade 12 physics credit (and so give up a program you can apply for) for a higher mark in adv. fun. you might have a better chance of getting in. I know at McMaster life science you don't need grade 12 physics to get in, so that's an option. In first year you have to take physics for mac life sci, so you take the lowest level one and it's not big deal.

So basically, it depends on what you want to apply for next year and of course that's a whole other discussion. And I just wanted to say great job thinking about this stuff now! It will really help later on.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512

@cyynthiia wrote
^
Don't even need Phys 11 for UBC.
Just Chem 11.
You only need Phys 11 if you want to do the Pre-Pharm program.

You do need Physics 11 for UBC Vancouver BSc as well as several other programs.
I had actually checked the program requirements before applying. ;)

Ontario: https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/vancouver/on.ezc
BC: https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/vancouver/bcyt.ezc
Was this helpful? Yes 0