yconic - Previous Winners of Major Scholarships
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Previous Winners of Major Scholarships

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
Have any of you won any major scholarships already? By major, I any large renewable scholarships for individual schools, and external things such as Loran, TD and etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

Has no one on this entire forum about scholarships won any major awards?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of XTC XTC
There were a few more in the old forum, I think they're slowly transferring in. I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding the Loran!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@XTC wrote
There were a few more in the old forum, I think they're slowly transferring in. I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding the Loran!

Awesome, thanks!

What EC's did you do, and what was your average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mark Alan Wilson Mark Alan Wilson
Unfortunately, I just feel like so many major scholarships are aimed at such minuscule attributes of a person (their race or even far out there activities that they may do). In my case however, I wish there were more scholarships based on grade averages only and so much about essays all the time! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of XTC XTC

@Mark Alan Wilson wrote
Unfortunately, I just feel like so many major scholarships are aimed at such minuscule attributes of a person (their race or even far out there activities that they may do). In my case however, I wish there were more scholarships based on grade averages only and so much about essays all the time! :D

I would respectfully disagree and say that I don't think race is a big issue at all anymore - what I will agree is that unfortunately scholarships (and not winning them) will discourage a lot of people about their extracurriculars and what they do, when the differences between the finalists and the winners are in fact very small details.

As for scholarships on grade averages only, well they do exist in every university out there, but their scholarship amounts aren't as high because in today's world everyone gets relatively good marks, and its having both good marks and extracurriculars that stand out!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@XTC wrote
the differences between the finalists and the winners are in fact very small details.

I`m quite curious; what differences are you referring to?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of XTC XTC

@kaloolah wrote

@XTC wrote

Awesome, thanks!

What EC's did you do, and what was your average?

I had around 91% IB, which isn't bad but isn't fantastic. For Loran and TD, academics are just a "checkmark" and once you're above 85%, it doesn't matter whether you have 86% or 98%, it plays no role in your application. The judges don't even get to see your averages in fact, its the staff that check your marks, and once you have an 85% or up its fine.

As for my extracurriculars, I don't like to give out my own ECs (copying + identity), so I encourage you to go to the Loran Award website to read the biographies of past winners, to see how many ECs they'd be looking for. The general rule is you need leadership positions and not just hours (ex. 1000 hours of sweeping floors doesn't mean much), and you should have a variety of activities (music, athletics, volunteer, leadership, student government - you don't need all of them, but have a variety).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of XTC XTC

@kaloolah wrote

@XTC wrote
the differences between the finalists and the winners are in fact very small details.

I'm not particularly referring to a concrete difference, as much as when you're there with the rest of the finalists of the Loran, you realize any one of them could win the Loran, and its up to the judges to decide who they think is better - but as far as leadership, community involvement and extracurriculars go, nearly everyone is on par. So what I mean is finalists and winners are just as involved, just as deserving, and its the judge's call on who wins and who doesn't.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@XTC wrote

@kaloolah wrote

@XTC wrote

I'm not particularly referring to a concrete difference, as much as when you're there with the rest of the finalists of the Loran, you realize any one of them could win the Loran, and its up to the judges to decide who they think is better - but as far as leadership, community involvement and extracurriculars go, nearly everyone is on par. So what I mean is finalists and winners are just as involved, just as deserving, and its the judge's call on who wins and who doesn't.

Wow. Yeah, I`ve read then Loran scholar bios on their website, and everyone seems so accomplished. You must be really accomplished yourself, to have won such an award.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cjt cjt

@Mark Alan Wilson wrote

I'm definitely in the same boat! GPA scholarships are my favourite because they require so little additional work. Essay scholarships take longer, but even so, I would rather write essays about random subjects than try to convince the judges what a stellar person I am. I always feel like there are people more deserving out there...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mianguyen mianguyen

@cjt wrote

@Mark Alan Wilson wrote

I'm definitely in the same boat! GPA scholarships are my favourite because they require so little additional work. Essay scholarships take longer, but even so, I would rather write essays about random subjects than try to convince the judges what a stellar person I am. I always feel like there are people more deserving out there...

Yea like some people out there have a lot of EC, but if they can't write essays, they're not going to be able to win anything..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of username101 username101
The essays stuff really discourages me.

I usually take a really really long time to write any kind of essay, and what ever scholar ships I see have to do with essay writing.. :pale:

If only I could get a scholarship by just putting in my average + ec's

I have applied to 0 scholarships so far :(

Going to do one today
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JogaBonito JogaBonito
Don't know if this is your idea of major but my main scholarship is a $3000 one from the QEII Aiming for the Top Scholarship. Purely based on your GPA from high school and with the opportunity to sustain it for multiple years.

Was this helpful? Yes 0