yconic - Private School Credit = Public School Credit?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Private School Credit = Public School Credit?

A photo of Super Super
I'm fast tracking a 12 U math course at the moment in private school and the teacher told my parents and I that just recently, OUAC or Universities cannot differentiate or label private school courses with a "P" at the end (ie.MHF4UP).

Was this just a marketing technique or is this legitimately true? I'm tempted to encourage my friends to take private school courses to raise their averages to meet acceptance cut-offs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of erudite erudite
Don't tell your friends to take it just to raise their mark. It's kinda unfair in a way for other people and they aren't really that smart and they make it into a hard program, they might get kicked out for not doing so well. :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
Well I asked my guidance counselors about this and they said the universities look at where you took the course. So for instance u have a P at the end of ur course code which means you took it outside of school (and as u mentioned private school) some universities will accept the mark and reduce ur final top 6 average. Also I've heard that sometimes you won't qualify for entrance scholarships. But it is also true that some private schools have higher rankings (maybe even tougher than normal academic) these schools I think are exceptions to the rule.

I can say for certain though that your teacher lied...you should ask him/her about this...also talk to your guidance counselors or email some universities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super

@Viking21 wrote
Well I asked my guidance counselors about this and they said the universities look at where you took the course. So for instance u have a P at the end of ur course code which means you took it outside of school (and as u mentioned private school) some universities will accept the mark and reduce ur final top 6 average. Also I've heard that sometimes you won't qualify for entrance scholarships. But it is also true that some private schools have higher rankings (maybe even tougher than normal academic) these schools I think are exceptions to the rule.

I can say for certain though that your teacher lied...you should ask him/her about this...also talk to your guidance counselors or email some universities.

What I'm saying is that universities will no longer see the "P" at the end of the course code. I think my private school teacher said that the ministry of education recently made this change.

Obviously, any public school TDSB guidance would discourage taking courses outside of day school. And it's true that it's not the same. I just want to know if universities can see where I take fast tracked courses since my day school is a public school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@Super wrote

@Viking21 wrote

What I'm saying is that universities will no longer see the "P" at the end of the course code. I think my private school teacher said that the ministry of education recently made this change.

Obviously, any public school TDSB guidance would discourage taking courses outside of day school. And it's true that it's not the same. I just want to know if universities can see where I take fast tracked courses since my day school is a public school.

I haven't heard that ANYWHERE. You should ask when the ministry of education made the change, then. I know that at least as of April this year, they were able to see the last digit. I hope your teacher isn't encouraging you to fall for it if it isn't true. The universities in the past were not given the last digit, but OUAC started giving them out not that many years ago.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of erudite erudite
Well I go to a public school and they told me that universities only get to see the first 5 digits of the course code. Also, i'm going to be taking post-colonial english (same credit as ENG4U1 but with different reading material) also in PUBLIC school and the course code is ENG4UP...which is obviously not a private school credit. But i read somewhere on the forum that they just list the private school P beside the credit or something like that to indicate that it's a private school credit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0