yconic - Problem with Cost of University Books
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Problem with Cost of University Books

A photo of albud289 albud289
Something I noticed about the cost for the books is that it is greater (can be MUCH greater) than the cost of 1 laptop. With this knowledge, and internet access, it to me makes sense to buy an extra laptop for the sole purpose of textbooks as pdf documents.

It not only saves money, but saves room, and since it is a pdf document on a laptop, you can use technology to help, such as control+F to search, or copy+paste, ect.

Lastly, if the laptop gets a virus/malware from downloading pdf documents from the internet, it is an EXTRA laptop that is bought instead of buying books. The cost of this laptop and technical service would probably be less than the cost of textbooks, for an undergraduate degree program.

Also, if my assumptions (will follow) are correct, it's still cheaper to buy a new laptop every year than buy new textbooks every year.

Assumptions:

1a-The extra laptop will be a new cheap laptop.

1b-You will have the extra laptop for pdf textbooks and another laptop for whatever you want/"general purpose"

2-Each school year's worth of new textbooks is at least $500

3a-All university text books you will need are available on the internet as pdf, or an alternate pdf document can be used as a resource for the same course/educational material.

3b-Professors will not assign homework questions, instead will tell the class the topic and it is up to students to study it on their own, with their own methods. Essentially, professors will not teach by the textbook, instead using it as a resource.

4-You will have internet access

Summary (TLDR version):

1 year's worth of books is more expensive than a laptop. Extra laptop + downloading pdf text books + anti malware/virus is better than buying new textbooks each year. It is easier to carry, saves money and you can use technology to help.

Comments? Problems with this idea?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of kraken kraken
Just put linux on your main laptop and use it for books/everything. Then you won't get viruses and you will only have to carry/buy one laptop. Or why not get an e-reader instead of a laptop?

I'm not so sure about the availability of pdfs though, at least not free ones... but you could look into it I guess.

Also, you can often sell your textbooks the next year, though sometimes they change the edition so it depends.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel
Why would you buy a second laptop just for textbooks? What if you want your textbook on your other laptop? This sounds like a terrible idea. What if you download the wrong version of the textbook and all the questions are wrong?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
The cost and delivery of University course info by text books is archaic. Everything else is moving online and for most of today's Uni students, that might be the only actual books they touch.

Just need a way that the authors and textbook publishers can still ensure some profit from creating the material and a reliable way to prevent rampant piracy.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
Why would you buy a second laptop just for textbooks? What if you want your textbook on your other laptop? This sounds like a terrible idea. What if you download the wrong version of the textbook and all the questions are wrong?

1- I would buy a 2nd laptop just for books because its less money than buying the physical book.

2- I can copy and paste it onto a usb or if it's not too big, I can e-mail it.

3- If I download the wrong textbook, I messed up. This idea has the assumption that the proper, or sufficient books are available to download from the internet. Without the assumptions I stated being true, this idea will not work. The book does not have to be exact 100%. As long as I understand the material I'm fine.

@Meridian wrote
The cost and delivery of University course info by text books is archaic. Everything else is moving online and for most of today's Uni students, that might be the only actual books they touch.

Just need a way that the authors and textbook publishers can still ensure some profit from creating the material and a reliable way to prevent rampant piracy.

If I'm interpreting this right, your reasons as to why I should buy textbooks are

1-Cost and delivery of course info by textbook is old, but authors still need to make money and prevent piracy.

2-textbooks might be the only books used by university students.

For #1, reducing personal debt and saving money while being practical (using reasonable/little additional effort) is more important to me than the author's profit.

For #2, I don't see how this makes a difference as to why I should buy the physical book instead of downloading. I like pdf documents better, I can use technology, and I am still learning the same thing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
I think meridian was agreeing with you but ok...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@albud289 wrote

@ktel wrote

1- I would buy a 2nd laptop just for books because its less money than buying the physical book.

2- I can copy and paste it onto a usb or if it's not too big, I can e-mail it.

3- If I download the wrong textbook, I messed up. This idea has the assumption that the proper, or sufficient books are available to download from the internet. Without the assumptions I stated being true, this idea will not work. The book does not have to be exact 100%. As long as I understand the material I'm fine.

Yeah I download textbooks sometimes too, but there is no need to have a second laptop solely for that purpose. You only need one laptop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
JUST DO LINUX BRO.

...or scan stuff for viruses before downloading? lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
Paper books are superior for learning. Downloading books of the internet is a violation of the author's intellectual property rights, and is quite illegal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kraken wrote
JUST DO LINUX BRO.

...or scan stuff for viruses before downloading? lol

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but how would Linux help?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
^ no one bothers making viruses for it. also it's free. and better than windows. so yeah. (if you're rich get a Mac instead)

LRooke, ebooks can be sold legally through publishers lol... but that's probably not much cheaper than getting actual textbooks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke

@kraken wrote
^ no one bothers making viruses for it. also it's free. and better than windows. so yeah. (if you're rich get a Mac instead)

LRooke, ebooks can be sold legally through publishers lol... but that's probably not much cheaper than getting actual textbooks.

You don't get viruses through legit ebooks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
You also don't get viruses if you know what you're doing. But this guy obviously doesn't, so whatever... let him waste his money and break his back with an extra laptop I guess
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted