yconic - Program switch at uWaterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Program switch at uWaterloo

A photo of jsim93 jsim93
Next year I'm going to be attending Waterloo for electrical engineering, but I've recently had some doubts about this program. I have a new-found passion for computers and have been thinking quite a bit lately about the possibility of taking computer sciences. I was just wondering, if I do decide I want to switch programs, if it is even a possibility? I'm very unsure as it is so late to be switching.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of x711Li x711Li

@jsim93 wrote
Next year I'm going to be attending Waterloo for electrical engineering, but I've recently had some doubts about this program. I have a new-found passion for computers and have been thinking quite a bit lately about the possibility of taking computer sciences. I was just wondering, if I do decide I want to switch programs, if it is even a possibility? I'm very unsure as it is so late to be switching.

Did you apply for Computer Science? If you got into that program as well, you may have the option to. Otherwise, call the Admissions Office and see what they're willing to do.

A fellow SAer, "immaculatedx", was admitted into the Math/CA program and wanted to transfer into the Math/Business double degree program. He was able to, but probably partially due to him also being admitted into Math/Business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jsim93 jsim93
I didn't apply for computer science, but I suppose I should give calling the Admissions Office a try. I really hope I have the option to switch because the more I research the computer science program, the more I feel the urge to switch.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
It's always possible to switch programs, but you will need a very good first year GPA and will probably have to accept that many of your courses won't transfer to your new degree
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jmartinez jmartinez
If its any help, I switched from Electrical Engineering to Chemical Engineering in June. I e-mailed the engineering admissions people (after being instructed to do so by the admissions office) regarding the desired switch and in a couple of weeks of being on a waitlist they gave me the offer for Chemical Engineering. I put Chemical Engineering as an alternative on my AIF, if that makes a difference. So maybe you still have a chance to switch... good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@ktel wrote
It's always possible to switch programs, but you will need a very good first year GPA and will probably have to accept that many of your courses won't transfer to your new degree

What ktel said. It is possible to do it, but plan beforehand. Ask what courses you'll need to take for CS and try to knock some of them off while you're in EE. In this way, you won't be too far behind when you finally do transfer eventually. If that doesn't work out, you always have the option of minoring in CS while in EE. However, this may involve a lot of extra work on your time and will definitely require you to commit wholeheartedly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
It's very possible, I know a guy who did that actually, and hes graduating with CS degree this year. Originally he was doing CompEng degree @ Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ I would imagine the switch from Computer Engineering to Computer Science would be very easy, given their similarities
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner
The only way to find out if you can switch is to contact the university and ask. If you can't switch now, try to take as many of the courses that would be required of the new program in your first year, and try to get a GPA that is as high as possible. That will make switching after first year easier.

It is certainly possible to switch, even if it isn't easy. I personally know people who:

- switched from aerospace engineering at Carleton to biological engineering at Guelph
- switched from applied human nutrition at Guelph to biomedical engineering at Guelph
- switched from biological engineering at Guelph to nutrition and dietetics at U of Alberta

(yes, I have very indecisive friends, but that's okay - lots of people don't know what they want when they finish high school)
Was this helpful? Yes 0