yconic - Program vs class sizes
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Program vs class sizes

A photo of sarahq93 sarahq93
I applied to a couple of science programs around ontario. I was wondering what the class sizes would be for first year in the following schools for things like Bio, Chem, etc.

MacMaster
Queens
UWO
York
Uoft
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
First year gen chem and bio classes are about 300-400 at Mac, and there are a couple (1-3) core sections you can choose from. Health sci classes are 160-180 at the most (total # of students in the program in each year) though. I asked a UWO rep when I applied about their first year bio and chem class sizes and she had told me 500-600, though I'm sure a UWO student can confirm if that's true or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cheers2u cheers2u
Does anyone know about class sizes at UBC or Alberta? Alberta's are probably relatively smaller, but are the classes at UBC as massive as that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ladyish ladyish
I'm not sure if this helps, but from what I've heard from my friends in the biomed program at UWO, class sizes can go up pretty high. So I'd say mid to high hundreds to nearing a thousand. It is a rather competitive program and consists mainly of large lectures. I don't know if you'd consider this exactly a bio or chem program, but they take the courses.
As for UofT I believe the class sizes vary depending on the campus you go to. St. George tends to have the largest class sizes, and I believe Missisauga has the smallest.
Hope that helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@cheers2u wrote
Does anyone know about class sizes at UBC or Alberta? Alberta's are probably relatively smaller, but are the classes at UBC as massive as that?

I think lecture halls at UBC can fit up to a few hundred people..
So for a first year course that's very general and requires all first-year students to take it, it's going to be a full class.
I'm guessing at least 200-300.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
I heard 300-400 as a general average for first year at UBC
Was this helpful? Yes 0