yconic - Program vs Reputation
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Program vs Reputation

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
With very, very few exceptions, relevant work/volunteer experience (and the professional references that come with it) is much more important than university/program prestige. Your interest in Carleton, that you can easily get relevant work experience there (and pay off some bills), and would likely get a higher average there all suggest to me that Carleton would be the better fit for you.

When program/university prestige is important, it is so because having attended a prestigious program/university suggests that you're a knowledgeable, intelligent person. Employers want knowledgeable, intelligent people, but they also usually want people who are strong communicators, who work well individually and as a team, and who are committed to continuously staying at the top of their field. Relevant work/volunteer experience and professional references affirm your knowledge, skills, and interests with a potential employer much more so than what program/university you list on your resume.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
With very, very few exceptions, relevant work/volunteer experience (and the professional references that come with it) is much more important than university/program prestige. Your interest in Carleton, that you can easily get relevant work experience there (and pay off some bills), and would likely get a higher average there all suggest to me that Carleton would be the better fit for you.

When program/university prestige is important, it is so because having attended a prestigious program/university suggests that you're a knowledgeable, intelligent person. Employers want knowledgeable, intelligent people, but they also usually want people who are strong communicators, who work well individually and as a team, and who are committed to continuously staying at the top of their field. Relevant work/volunteer experience and professional references affirm your knowledge, skills, and interests with a potential employer much more so than what program/university you list on your resume.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote

hey there,
thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nag26 nag26
It obviously depends on what you're planning on going into. For example, if you want to get into medical school, I would advise you to worry more about the program and not reputation. Medical schools do not discriminate based on what university you came from for undergrad, so you might as well go to an "easier" university that will allow you to get a higher GPA.

On the contrary, if you plan to get a job or do something that puts importance on your undergrad, reputation definitely matters. The U.S. definitely looks at reputation, if you were planning to apply for graduate school there.

Most of the time though, program is waay more important than repuation!
Was this helpful? Yes 0