yconic - Pro's and Cons of B-Schools
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Pro's and Cons of B-Schools

A photo of asian123 asian123
Wat are the pros and cons of the following B-Schools:

- McGill
- Schulich
- Ivey
- Rotman
- Laurier
- Queens

also, which are gud for future opportuinites
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of 123abcuwo 123abcuwo
Depends on what you want to go into. Generally, the "top 3" are Ivey, Queen's & Schulich.
Majority of students who want to go into finance, consulting, i-banking tend to go for Ivey & Queen's. Accounting is well-known at Schulich.
All three have amazing career management services, are well-known, and have a tight-knit community within their respective b-schools.
Ivey is different in that they teach using the case method, so if you don't like to talk in class, if you like lecture-based teaching, or you like to study theories or from a textbook, it might not be the program for you.
If you consider the universities as a whole, campus life at UWO, Queen's & Laurier are amazing (and it kinda helps not being a "commuter" school).
Pick the program & the university that's right for you (you might fall in love with Laurier when you visit it but that feeling's just not there when you visit Schulich, etc. regardless of school rankings)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@123abcuwo wrote
Depends on what you want to go into. Generally, the "top 3" are Ivey, Queen's & Schulich.
Majority of students who want to go into finance, consulting, i-banking tend to go for Ivey & Queen's. Accounting is well-known at Schulich.
All three have amazing career management services, are well-known, and have a tight-knit community within their respective b-schools.
Ivey is different in that they teach using the case method, so if you don't like to talk in class, if you like lecture-based teaching, or you like to study theories or from a textbook, it might not be the program for you.
If you consider the universities as a whole, campus life at UWO, Queen's & Laurier are amazing (and it kinda helps not being a "commuter" school).
Pick the program & the university that's right for you (you might fall in love with Laurier when you visit it but that feeling's just not there when you visit Schulich, etc. regardless of school rankings)

ok thanks, but im more interested in going to mcgill. this is because i want to keep my options open for law or business for my masters and i think that ivey is too focused on business, plus i dnt like the structure.

for schulich, i personally dont like how people describe the atmosphere there plus its too close to home.

so how would mcgill compare to these schools even though there business program isnt as gud.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of illuminati illuminati

@asian123 wrote

@123abcuwo wrote

ok thanks, but im more interested in going to mcgill. this is because i want to keep my options open for law or business for my masters and i think that ivey is too focused on business, plus i dnt like the structure.

for schulich, i personally dont like how people describe the atmosphere there plus its too close to home.

so how would mcgill compare to these schools even though there business program isnt as gud.

Your suggestion that a McGill BCom degree would be better suited for a law degree than an Ivey or Schulich degree doesn’t make sense. All you need is to score a high GPA, do well on the LSAT and have glowing references. For an MBA, it’s all that in addition to work experience and personal essays.

For me, McGill doesn't live up to my expectations if it's to be my rop choice. I personally think McGill's reputation on this forum is way overrated. As far as their growth and innovation goes, McGill’s business school is stagnant. In terms of their curriculum and teaching, the school has yet to be accredited by AACSB and their finance program is not certified by the CFA Institute. Also, I think the Bronfman building is the one thing that's holding the business school back from being as good as it should be because the classrooms and the hallways reminds me of a High School. As far as their career placements goes, McGill isn't as good as you may think. Since you've mentioned your interests in consulting several times before, consider this:

% of Grads in Consulting and Salary (by Functional Area):
- Queen’s (9%) $68,800
- Ivey (10%) $66,047
- Sauder (6%) $61,500
- Schulich (7%) $58,200
- Desautels (6%) $53,700

But isn’t McGill thought to be a good school for consulting? Here’s something you didn’t know: I’ve talked with several McGill alumnus about this and they’ve said that a greater share of the McGill graduates going to management consulting is from engineering and not business. It’s the same case over at UofT. So if you’re deciding to go to McGill for consulting, take up engineering.

Still, I’m a fair and objective guy and so I've decided to apply to McGill because there are a few things I like about McGill such as the types of students there and the school’s overall reputation. I’m also a bigger fan of Montreal compared to Toronto, which is why I’m not applying to either Schulich or Rotman. I’ll respect your decision to go there for those reasons but you should also take a closer look at some of the other options as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
+1 to everything above for the most part.

If you want to get into law, you just need a good GPA, along with LSAT scores, and refs. You can get a BA and still be a strong candidate for law school.

For your MBA, you need the ability to do well on GMATs, work experience and essays. Not to toot my own horn here or anything, but DD can be a good undergrad for this, as you learn a lot of analytical skills through the math side of DD, and you should basically score perfect on the math side of it, along with co-op to help get work placements in advance, to (hopefully) get solid work experience.

I will caution you though, many people who are going to get their BBA are choosing not to go on to get their MBA, simply because the 2 years that they spend getting their MBA can be better spent staying with your current company, and advancing through the company. Traditionally an MBA was for engineers, CS grads, etc who wanted to get a business knowledge to advance in their company, not BBA grads.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@illuminati wrote

@asian123 wrote

@123abcuwo wrote

Your suggestion that a McGill BCom degree would be better suited for a law degree than an Ivey or Schulich degree doesn’t make sense. All you need is to score a high GPA, do well on the LSAT and have glowing references. For an MBA, it’s all that in addition to work experience and personal essays.

For me, McGill doesn't live up to my expectations if it's to be my rop choice. I personally think McGill's reputation on this forum is way overrated. As far as their growth and innovation goes, McGill’s business school is stagnant. In terms of their curriculum and teaching, the school has yet to be accredited by AACSB and their finance program is not certified by the CFA Institute. Also, I think the Bronfman building is the one thing that's holding the business school back from being as good as it should be because the classrooms and the hallways reminds me of a High School. As far as their career placements goes, McGill isn't as good as you may think. Since you've mentioned your interests in consulting several times before, consider this:

% of Grads in Consulting and Salary (by Functional Area):
- Queen’s (9%) $68,800
- Ivey (10%) $66,047
- Sauder (6%) $61,500
- Schulich (7%) $58,200
- Desautels (6%) $53,700

But isn’t McGill thought to be a good school for consulting? Here’s something you didn’t know: I’ve talked with several McGill alumnus about this and they’ve said that a greater share of the McGill graduates going to management consulting is from engineering and not business. It’s the same case over at UofT. So if you’re deciding to go to McGill for consulting, take up engineering.

Still, I’m a fair and objective guy and so I've decided to apply to McGill because there are a few things I like about McGill such as the types of students there and the school’s overall reputation. I’m also a bigger fan of Montreal compared to Toronto, which is why I’m not applying to either Schulich or Rotman. I’ll respect your decision to go there for those reasons but you should also take a closer look at some of the other options as well.

youve clearly done a lot of research.

its just that i thought that it would be difficult to get a high GPA from Ivey and Schlich mainly because ive heard how hard there programs are.

yea but ill listen to ur advice and take queens into consideration as well.

btw, im also applying to a couple schools in the UK, although i dont plan to go there (dont like the country and its reaaaally expensive compared to canada (i have canadian citizenship)

1) kings - management
2) lse - managemnt
3) warwick - law and business
4) warwick - international management
5) manchester - bus and econ
Was this helpful? Yes 0