yconic - Pros and Cons of suite residences
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Pros and Cons of suite residences

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
So here's the situation:

I want to live in a suite rez, but my parents think that I'm being "spoiled" and that it's too expensive.

However, here are my reasons for why I want to live in a rez where I can have my own room.

1. More privacy
2. I'm a neat freak so I can't stand other people's messes
3. I don't want to share one bathroom with the entire floor
4. If I do traditional double, I don't know who my roommate may bring into the room
5. Because of above, I want to minimize the chances of my possessions being stolen
6. I can concentrate better when there isn't anyone distracting me
7. Kitchen right outside so I can save time by cooking my own food

Are there any other pros you guys can think of that would help me convince my parents that I can live in a suite rez?

Btw, I also don't mind at all paying for my own accommodations because I'm already planning on working in the summer and during school...so don't think that I'm being "spoiled" or whatever.

Thanks a lot!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of kraken kraken
Actually sometimes suite reses are cheaper, since they don't include meal plan etc. (for example, at U of T suite styles Innis and Woodsworth are around $6-7K, whereas traditionals are around $10-12k including meal plan). Also, traditional singles are not bad at all. But I guess options depend on what schools you're looking at.

I wouldn't necessarily say cooking your own food will save time though, unless you plan to live off frozen dinners and packaged crap.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm planning on living in a suite in September as well. A suite is actually a good idea, as kraken said it is cheaper. It would be quieter in terms of studying as well. I would advise you get a meal plan for dinner (unless the res has a stove). I hope to have breakfast and lunch in the suite so I would just be paying for dinner on campus (which is better than anything prepackaged) so money is saved also (meal plans can be pretty expensive). You still have a room mate or more than one room mate so it is not lonely but there is privacy as well. Therefore, friendships can still be made even though a suite is not like a traditional res. The pros you listed are great, hopefully you can convince your parents!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rita Rita
For me, the deciding factors were cost (as mentioned above, no meal plan, or a lesser meal plan makes suites cheaper than traditional residences) and also the layout of the room seemed more functional and more desirable. I'm a people person, but I'm also a messy person and suites have more room, but still have other people in them, so I felt I'd get the best of everything.
On another point though, with bathrooms, I don't know where you've applied, but at Carleton, for example, you don't share a bathroom with the whole floor. Not even in traditional residences. You share a bathroom with your roommate and the room right next door, but that's it. Whereas at U of T, you share a co-ed bathroom with the whole floor, which is kind of gross.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a huge scholarship that I was really hoping for ($70,000 from TD) so I'm not sure if I'll be able to pay for any kind of residence though. I'm still hoping.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I totally I want to live in a suite as well and agree with you! Do you know if Mac or western allow you to live in a suite your first year or how does it work?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking

@atrapp wrote
I totally I want to live in a suite as well and agree with you! Do you know if Mac or western allow you to live in a suite your first year or how does it work?

Yeah there's a bunch of suite style res' at Western but only one at Mac (Keyes). I lived in Keyes in first year. Don't know how UWO does it but it's a lottery system at Mac, but they can guarantee you a single room if you have a 95%+ admission average (and Keyes is considered single rooms since you have your own bedroom).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kathleenMARIE kathleenMARIE
You're not being spoiled. I'm the same way. Besides, who would walk in on their roommate and their romantic interest. Not I!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quaider24 Quaider24
I thought I wanted to live in rez and when I didn't get in, I was glad. You have such limited space to do anything or to keep anything, you have to share a tiny bathroom and a tiny kitchen and a tiny laundry room with too many people. Nieghbours are loud and rules can be strict. Living off campus is the way to go for me!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
Ive been living in a suite residence for almost 6 months. there are very little cons, at least in my view.

PROS
-get your own room
-bathroom ratio: 2 girls per washroom (i live in a 4person suite)
-kitchen rite outside
-usually more quiet than traditional style
-mite be cheaper in the long run since no need for meal plan

Neutral
-you get roommates - you might end up hating them or loving them. i love my roommates, we did not know each other from before, we actually found each other online through the UW residence forum
-cooking: mite be less convenient since cooking can take awhile, depends on your diet. but at least you can watch what youre eating a little better.

CONS
-a little more cleaning required (not bad unless you host parties)
-ppl prefer to socialize less with other floormates, so you may or may not get to know your floormates very well

i actually thought i was gonna eat out every day but all my roommates cook. so i got used to it and learned how to cook too : 3
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Entropy Entropy
I live in suite style (Keyes at Mac) and I have definitely noticed a downside to them...
Its really not sociable. Especially since most of the people in the building are people who had 95% and like to study. I only know a few people on my floor and I'm not realllly friends with any of them, we dont hang out. And our common room is often empty, which is really different from traditional res (my friends who live there are quite close with their floors). Also the not-open-door policy makes it really hard to just go next door and meet people. Also, suite styles tend to have a lot more upper years in them, I think Keyes is something like 50% upper years - which again makes it harder to socialize and get to know people.
On the plus side, its quiet and I can cook when I want to :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of chatmike chatmike

@Respects wrote
What are the chances of getting a single room in a traditional residence if your average isn't a 95.

The same odds as every other style of residence...

It's lottery, if you're chosen first, you'd get your first pick no matter what it was. (assuming all of the guaranteed people dont buy out a type of res)

Was this helpful? Yes 0