yconic - Prospective Architecture Students - Where Will You Be?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Prospective Architecture Students - Where Will You Be?

A photo of dinosaurbones dinosaurbones
Where have you guys applied and what's your first choice?

For me, I've applied to Waterloo, Carleton and Ryerson, preference in order from first to third. I don't know about you, but I'm nervous and excited at the same time about my portfolio. I'm nervous because it's sort of scary to have people judge my work and ideas. And just comparing myself to other people's portfolios is very intimidating.

But I'm also excited because I think of all university applicants, we get to have the most fun! Well, this applies to any program that requires a portfolio because we get to do what (I assume) we're all passionate about: art/design. So good luck to you all and I hope you guys are all having fun. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
64 replies

A photo of Beejeong Beejeong
I've applied to Waterloo and McGill.

Architecture has always been a passion of mine, and I plan on sticking with that for the rest of my life.

BTW, have you been to the School of Architecture? The building is 30 mins away from the main campus in Waterloo, and there's no residence, only housing..
The building itself is really boring too. Seems like nothing ever goes on in there.
Does/Will that affect your decision to accept your offer of admission to Waterloo?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dinosaurbones dinosaurbones

@Beejeong wrote
I've applied to Waterloo and McGill.

Architecture has always been a passion of mine, and I plan on sticking with that for the rest of my life.

BTW, have you been to the School of Architecture? The building is 30 mins away from the main campus in Waterloo, and there's no residence, only housing..
The building itself is really boring too. Seems like nothing ever goes on in there.
Does/Will that affect your decision to accept your offer of admission to Waterloo?

I haven't visited the School of Architecture yet, but I can tell you what I feel about it from what I know. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the Architecture building being so far away but I don't think it'll be a big problem. I used to think of it as a big hindrance to my decision to go to Waterloo, but I decided the quality of education is, and should be, the biggest factor in deciding. Recently my friend gave me her orientation handbook from when she first entered WA and it shows a map of the community . From what I gather, Cambridge seems very quaint and charming. So that cleared up a lot of doubts for me.

If it's a huge issue for you, you can always get housing in first year. Most people move out of residence after first year anyways so you'll just be doing it a year sooner.

By the way, looking at your forum signature, you seem to have some impressive plans! Good luck with those! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Shahida Shahida
I haven't gotten accepted anywhere! Which is all my fault because I didn't apply to any backup programs. I LOVE architecture, its my life. I REALREALRELRELRELLRREAALLLY hope that i get called for an interview at Waterloo =[ . As for now, I got an interview with Ryerson coming up. And i also applied to UofT Architecture BA (Humanities stream)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Roygbiver Roygbiver
You're blowing your head off before acceptances and invites have even gone out. lol. GL throughout the next month!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of guripop guripop

@Shahida wrote
I haven't gotten accepted anywhere! Which is all my fault because I didn't apply to any backup programs. I LOVE architecture, its my life. I REALREALRELRELRELLRREAALLLY hope that i get called for an interview at Waterloo =[ . As for now, I got an interview with Ryerson coming up. And i also applied to UofT Architecture BA (Humanities stream)

Take a breath, relax. If you do get invited for an interview at Waterloo you need to be confident. Don't stress. Keep in mind that only 4% of applicants actually get in, so you need to get your game straight. A lot of people don't get in from the first try, but remember that there's always next year.

As for Mr.Party Boy up there who says Cambridge is boring, newsflash - it is. Cambridge on its own is unimpressive. However, since you're surrounded by architecture students, we make do. We have parties, we hang out... it's not that bad. Actually, it's not bad at all - dare I say fun? A blast even?

The architecture program at Waterloo is different from all others because of the coop and because of the fact that it isn't on main campus. When I first got here that was a big concern of mine, not being on main campus, but to be honest, I prefer it here. The program is structured in such a way that you will benefit from the fact that you're shafted.

As for residence, it's true that we don't have one. BUT - there is grand house (look it up). It is a student built mansion which houses 14 people. Party house? Yes. Awesome? Most definitely. They have a website, check it out - it's too fantastic for words alone to describe.

On a different note, I have to get back to work - studio awaits.
Yes, you'll be living in studio, you'll learn to deal.

Good luck to all of you guys and thanks for the chance to prolong my procrastination.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Beejeong Beejeong
Thank you Based God.

You've given me the will to succeed and think twice of going to Waterloo Architecture.

If only 14 people can live in the "mansion" house, that's like a 0 - 5% chance I'll be able to get a room there.

Daamn, studio awaits at 1:20 AM? On a scale of 1-10, how much harder is your program compared to high school?

.. Do you guys ever use that pingpong table in the lobby..? I'd own all you. jaakes

Thanks for the info.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Beejeong wrote
Thank you Based God.

You've given me the will to succeed and think twice of going to Waterloo Architecture.

If only 14 people can live in the "mansion" house, that's like a 0 - 5% chance I'll be able to get a room there.

Daamn, studio awaits at 1:20 AM? On a scale of 1-10, how much harder is your program compared to high school?

.. Do you guys ever use that pingpong table in the lobby..? I'd phucking own all you bittiesss. jaakes

Thanks for the info.

Actually the chances that you'll get a spot at the house are really high. Just apply for it - unless you wrote something along the lines of your favourite pastime being walking around the house and leaving your smelly socks and underwear all over the place, you're pretty much guaranteed a spot. There's actually only 8 people there at the moment because a few moved out.

The workload is significantly greater in university. Architecture especially. It's a lot, but you learn to deal.

As for the ping pong table, you don't stand a chance my friend. You're going down!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of juicetan juicetan
Waterloo's my first choice, then McGill. I'm not set on what's next: Carleton, Ryerson, Queen's Eng, Waterloo Civil, McGill Civil. I also applied to architecture at U of T, but I'm not really considering it. Man, I applied to so many schools.

Preparing the portfolio's made me think harder about what I've done and what I haven't. I'm also excited and a bit nervous for interviews.

I think having to find and choose our own housing at Waterloo and living on our own/with a few friends is an interesting opportunity for architecture students, might better than res where everything is laid out. I like being able to take electives without being restricted because of being off main campus though, +1 McGill.

Good luck to all of you as well.
Ping pong isn't really my game haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@juicetan wrote
Waterloo's my first choice, then McGill. I'm not set on what's next: Carleton, Ryerson, Queen's Eng, Waterloo Civil, McGill Civil. I also applied to architecture at U of T, but I'm not really considering it. Man, I applied to so many schools.

Preparing the portfolio's made me think harder about what I've done and what I haven't. I'm also excited and a bit nervous for interviews.

I think having to find and choose our own housing at Waterloo and living on our own/with a few friends is an interesting opportunity for architecture students, might better than res where everything is laid out. I like being able to take electives without being restricted because of being off main campus though, +1 McGill.

Good luck to all of you as well.
Ping pong isn't really my game haha

We also have pool and foosball. ;)
As for electives, to be honest, no one has yet to complain. You have your essential courses and it's what you need to get out of an architecture degree. You do get some choice later on but that isn't until 2B (second term of second year).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of youstoppedmakingsense youstoppedmakingsense
I've applied to McGill, Ryerson, and Carleton for architecture, but not Waterloo since I was initially held back by their 'nerdy' reputation (and needless to say I feel incredibly, incredibly stupid now). /Egg on my face. Either way I'd much rather stay in big cities, so I have all my hopes set on McGill.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any idea how many offers Waterloo sends out each year? I only know McGill accepts like 20 people into their 4-year program every year. It sounds a bit crazy, but that's what I heard from multiple accounts, so I guess the numbers are pretty credible. :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

youstoppedmakingsense, I talked to a first year McGill arch. student the other day and he told me that 56 students got accepted into his year. Out of the 56, around 20 are from Quebec. Being from Quebec, that's somewhat comforting. How reputable are YOUR sources? haha.

Concerning Waterloo... I know their program can accommodate more people. From the 500-600 they call to the interview, they accept roughly 70.

Where are you from?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Roygbiver wrote
youstoppedmakingsense, I talked to a first year McGill arch. student the other day and he told me that 56 students got accepted into his year. Out of the 56, around 20 are from Quebec. Being from Quebec, that's somewhat comforting. How reputable are YOUR sources? haha.

Concerning Waterloo... I know their program can accommodate more people. From the 500-600 they call to the interview, they accept roughly 70.

Where are you from?

I don't know about McGill architecture, but at Waterloo, there are 1600 applicants each year for about 70-75 spots.

To put it in perspective:
1 in 20 get accepted
or
4% of applicants get accepted
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Roygbiver wrote

Where are you from?

Funny, I got those numbers from another first-year arch at McGill. 50-60 seems to be the total number of first year students, but according to what I've heard, only around 20 people were accepted into the 4-year program last year (who were all from provinces other than Quebec, since those who got in through CEGEPs would go into the 3-year program instead). I'm from BC, so you can imagine my initial reaction to those figures and the sleepless nights that follow after, haha.

@guripop wrote

I don't know about McGill architecture, but at Waterloo, there are 1600 applicants each year for about 70-75 spots.

Then I'm just gonna assume those who applied to Waterloo have also applied to McGill. Great. I never knew they get that many applicants each year......Guise, what kind of major are we applying for?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh man...
It really is terrifying when I weigh my odds.
I can reason it down a bit though.
The way I see it, of the 1600 applicants, a bunch just put Architecture down as a second or third choice on their application thinking they might or might not end up actually assembling a portfolio.
Of that subset who did assemble one, a bunch of them applied to at least 3 different schools. This spreads the numbers a little more.
Also, the waterloo interviews invites just went out... so that cuts the total remaining applicants down significantly.
How many people out of the 500 being interviewed at Waterloo are actually solid competition? I dunno. I just hope I'm not being too optimistic..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kavvyr93 kavvyr93
http://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Certification=Member_of_the_Ontario_Association_of_Architects_%28OAA%29/Salary

i found this link interesting.. if you scroll down, you can see the average salary for graduates of various schools. Waterloo's range is C$67,257 - C$107,442, while carleton's range is C$53,827 - C$69,411.. I wonder if it's based on the undergrad or graduate program. anyone else find this interesting?

has anyone else considered doing a bachelors in carleton, and then doing their masters at waterloo?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kavvyr93 wrote
http://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Certification=Member_of_the_Ontario_Association_of_Architects_%28OAA%29/Salary

i found this link interesting.. if you scroll down, you can see the average salary for graduates of various schools. Waterloo's range is C$67,257 - C$107,442, while carleton's range is C$53,827 - C$69,411.. I wonder if it's based on the undergrad or graduate program. anyone else find this interesting?

has anyone else considered doing a bachelors in carleton, and then doing their masters at waterloo?

Anyone taking undergrad at waterloo gets automatic admission into their grad program. You'll need a portfolio if you're applying from other schools
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Urnehpets Urnehpets

@guripop wrote
Anyone taking undergrad at waterloo gets automatic admission into their grad program.

That is the one greatest sentence I've heard all day :D:D:D:D:D:D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
just got into ut architecture :) anyone else?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zegirl zegirl

@garyluk wrote

Congrats! I thought they start accepting in April. Whats your average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@zegirl wrote

@garyluk wrote

Congrats! I thought they start accepting in April. Whats your average?

My average is 90.1% . It's under Humanities stream so it wasn't particularly hard to get into.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zegirl zegirl
I always see posts about Ryerson, Carleton, and Waterloo architecture. Almost no one speaks about UofT. Is it cause you begin your major 2nd year?

Has anyone applied to UofT? And is interested in it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@zegirl wrote
I always see posts about Ryerson, Carleton, and Waterloo architecture. Almost no one speaks about UofT. Is it cause you begin your major 2nd year?

Has anyone applied to UofT? And is interested in it?

The fact is the U of T's Architecture program is under it's Humanities stream which means that you will graduate with a Humanities degree as opposed to a degree of Architectural Science. You don't even need a portfolio to apply there - that kind of says something about the program - it's not very art based, and architecture should be somewhat. I don't know much about their program, since I kind of ignored it after I found out that you don't even need a portfolio to apply...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zegirl zegirl
I got accepted to UofT. I checked a few minutes ago. Is anyone thinking of attending there?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Zegirl, it's just as Maya (guripop) said, it's really just a backup :P I only applied to it as a last resort, if I can't get into any architecture programs, but don't want to go into engineering..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

kicking this up again.

So if some people were accepted into McGill back in late march, I just want to know if anyone has been accepted between now and then? Mine's still 'ready for review' and that makes me more and more nervous each day. :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0