yconic - Prospects for Corporate Lawyer in Canada?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Prospects for Corporate Lawyer in Canada?

A photo of Saberwing Saberwing
Hello guys....I need a little bit of advice...

But First of: Happy new Year to all you SA members. WIsh you and your families the best in 2011 :cheers:

Now, to get to my Questions...

What are the Job Prospects for a corporate lawyer in Canada, more specifically Ontario<but anywhere will really do and if I study in Ontario, will I still be qualified for a position in another province?>? Can anyone who has any knowledge enlighten me on how demanded this skill is, and will I be able to get a Job soon after graduation <after law school that is> (any salary information such as entry salary would be a great help as well)

As you could probably tell I am interested in studying corporate law. I am great at law, along with having a keen business sense (although I know that isn't a MAJOR requirement of the job) so I'm interested in this field. Does anyone know any good programs/pathways that can lead/prepare me in this field, going from Uni all the way to law school? Preferably programs with Uni's and Law schools in the Toronto/GTA area would be great...but anything within Ontario is accepted.

What area of cooperate law should I specialize in..I was thinking industrial....any suggestions? I know for criminal law and similar types of law, you have to do articling and such during law school and maybe even at the beginning of your career. I would just like to know if it is the same with cooperate law?

Last but not least, any suggestions, recommendations or knowledge (such as work environment when compared to regular law or anything of the sort) would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you SOOO much!

-Saber
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of HeroOfCanton HeroOfCanton
I'm pretty sure as long as you pass the bar exam, you're qualified to practice in the province.

From what I hear, you should enter law school with an open mind - take electives, then decide what area of law you're interested in. If you're interested in corporate law, I think economics or commerce would be good majors for preparation, although I would recommend majoring in whatever you are interested in.

All law graduates need to complete an articling clerkship to be able to practice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey Saberwing,

I am also interested in Corporate Law. I suggest you check out the forum: http://www.lawstudents.ca/forums/index.php
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Noval Noval

@HeroOfCanton wrote
I'm pretty sure as long as you pass the bar exam, you're qualified to practice in the province.

From what I hear, you should enter law school with an open mind - take electives, then decide what area of law you're interested in. If you're interested in corporate law, I think economics or commerce would be good majors for preparation, although I would recommend majoring in whatever you are interested in.

All law graduates need to complete an articling clerkship to be able to practice.

The more you focus on a single specialty in Law School, the less chances you have to find a job out of school.

Law is a gamble, and the market is crap since the CBA recently started copying the ABA's Approach and Law Firms started to outsource jobs to India.

Seriously, if you didn't get accepted to McGill, UofT or Oz, Law School is a waste of time and money, go do something else with your life...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kaitx kaitx

@Saberwing wrote
Hello guys....I need a little bit of advice...

But First of: Happy new Year to all you SA members. WIsh you and your families the best in 2011 :cheers:

Now, to get to my Questions...

What are the Job Prospects for a corporate lawyer in Canada, more specifically Ontario<but anywhere will really do and if I study in Ontario, will I still be qualified for a position in another province?>? Can anyone who has any knowledge enlighten me on how demanded this skill is, and will I be able to get a Job soon after graduation <after law school that is> (any salary information such as entry salary would be a great help as well)

As you could probably tell I am interested in studying corporate law. I am great at law, along with having a keen business sense (although I know that isn't a MAJOR requirement of the job) so I'm interested in this field. Does anyone know any good programs/pathways that can lead/prepare me in this field, going from Uni all the way to law school? Preferably programs with Uni's and Law schools in the Toronto/GTA area would be great...but anything within Ontario is accepted.

What area of cooperate law should I specialize in..I was thinking industrial....any suggestions? I know for criminal law and similar types of law, you have to do articling and such during law school and maybe even at the beginning of your career. I would just like to know if it is the same with cooperate law?

Last but not least, any suggestions, recommendations or knowledge (such as work environment when compared to regular law or anything of the sort) would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you SOOO much!

-Saber

Hi Saber, I'm also interested in practicing corporate law one day. You might want to try what im doing. I'm currently in an undergrad program of Bachelor of Commerce and i will be applying to both York and Queens soon. York and Queens both offer a dual degree program where you obtain your MBA and LLB (law degree) in just four years. It seems like a pretty intense program, but it's a great path into corporate law. :)
Also with articiling it is the same with corporate law. After you graduate from the LLB program, you article for a year before you can aply for the bar and become a lawyer/associate.
Best of luck to you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0