yconic - Psych Walkthrough?
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Psych Walkthrough?

A photo of Cloud Cloud
Hey, decided to make my first post here ;D

Well, currently I started my first year of university at UVic, and will be starting 2nd semester soon. Quite an amazing school during these months.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has some ideas, like a walkthrough, a step of courses need to major in psychology, and that will best lead me, or anyone else interested in the same path to a graduate school.

I was thinking of going into the path of neuropsych.. and hope that would work out.
So, like some courses needed to pursue in that direction over the next 4 - 5 years to graduate school.

Anything would be helpful, and would love any advice or comment!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of femdawg femdawg
yeah i have been thinking of going into psych too! sound pretty interesting! im planning to take a psych course next semester. im in ubco taking general science in my first year. in ubco, u need to take psych 270& 271 before u can major in it. im also planning to get some volunteer experience in a hospital to see how that goes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
The UVic site should have the required/recommended courses for a psychology major. Just follow that and throw in the electives that you think will help (i.e. philosophy, linguistics, statistics).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of eedensp eedensp
i'm really interested about going into neuropsych as well, i was just wondering though, do you think its possible to do though by starting as a psych arts student?? and also which schools are good for psychology? i've applied to waterloo, brock, and guelph
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Neuropsych is definitely awesome. I'd highly suggest it, and neuropsychologists are in the upper echelon of psychologists for income.

It is a somewhat obscure field because it's in the middle of the overlap area of biology and psychology, so I'd suggest looking at the academic calendars of the schools you're interested in to see if many neuropsych courses are offered. I have an inkling that Brock and Waterloo may not offer many, and it wouldn't surprise me if Guelph didn't offer many either. Nevertheless, I don't think neuropsych grad programs are overly picky with what courses are required to be taken in undergrad: an intro neuropsych/neurosci course (which should be offered at any school that has a psych program) should suffice as far as neuropsych courses go.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alexisnoelle alexisnoelle
I like the idea of a pathway - it would definitely help to guide a student in the right direction, whether he or she is confused or just needs a little guidance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cloud Cloud
Sorry for the late reply.. got sucked back into school, etc.

Anyways, yeah, I have checked the UVic site, and they have this template, with certain courses you need to graduate with a degree ( BA, BSc, Majors, and Honours).

But I'm wondering, to further in neuropsyc.. would a BA in psyc suffice that?
Since, the BA includes more art courses than sciences.. >>

Any ideas, or clarifications would be appreciated please. =3
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
BA is fine. You should maybe just check to see if a lot of neuropsych grad programs require any biology courses. If so, then they'd probably just require first-year bio, but you'd definitely be able to fit that into your BA. You don't need much bio to be a neuropsychologist or to take neuropsych courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of neuropsy neuropsy

@Cloud wrote

Anyways, yeah, I have checked the UVic site, and they have this template, with certain courses you need to graduate with a degree ( BA, BSc, Majors, and Honours).

From the information I've come across, I believe you'd be fine with an BA in psych.

This fantastic professor I had this semester is actually a clinical neuropsychologist, so I've tried doing a bit of research on the profession. He went to York and completed a BA, went on to an MA, and continued on to a PhD... after which he
completed various clinical internships in Psychology, Neuropsychology and Cognitive Neurology programs within hospital settings.

With neuropsychology (at least clinical NP), from what I understand, you complete your MA/PhD in 'standard' clinical psychology and are then further required to take courses in neurology/the biological basis of behaviour and assessment/etc etc to become a neuropsychologist
Are you guys interested in the academic/research stream or the clinical stream?

If you can, I'd recommend taking at least a few bio/neuropsychology courses if your school offers them.
Just quickly looking at the requirements for the York psych grad program, it requires one credit (two half-year courses) in biological bases of behaviour (e.g. physiological psychology, comparative psychology, neuropsychology, sensation, psychopharmacology, health psychology).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cloud Cloud

@neuropsy wrote

@Cloud wrote

From the information I've come across, I believe you'd be fine with an BA in psych.

This fantastic professor I had this semester is actually a clinical neuropsychologist, so I've tried doing a bit of research on the profession. He went to York and completed a BA, went on to an MA, and continued on to a PhD... after which he
completed various clinical internships in Psychology, Neuropsychology and Cognitive Neurology programs within hospital settings.

With neuropsychology (at least clinical NP), from what I understand, you complete your MA/PhD in 'standard' clinical psychology and are then further required to take courses in neurology/the biological basis of behaviour and assessment/etc etc to become a neuropsychologist

If you can, I'd recommend taking at least a few bio/neuropsychology courses if your school offers them.
Just quickly looking at the requirements for the York psych grad program, it requires one credit (two half-year courses) in biological bases of behaviour (e.g. physiological psychology, comparative psychology, neuropsychology, sensation, psychopharmacology, health psychology).

What a professor! =3
As a matter in fact, I was planning my way like that, since I'm also interested in clincal neuropsyc and a bit in cognitive too!

However, I'm just in first year, and those courses about bio/neuropsychology won't be available til third year, I suppose. But currently I'm taking first year bio, and hopefully that will be enough for the first 2 years, before third.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of neuropsy neuropsy

@Cloud wrote

@neuropsy wrote

@Cloud wrote

What a professor! =3
As a matter in fact, I was planning my way like that, since I'm also interested in clincal neuropsyc and a bit in cognitive too!

However, I'm just in first year, and those courses about bio/neuropsychology won't be available til third year, I suppose. But currently I'm taking first year bio, and hopefully that will be enough for the first 2 years, before third.

You seem to be on the right track :) GL!
Was this helpful? Yes 0