yconic - Psychology
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Psychology

A photo of stephaniie stephaniie
I applied for the first year Psychology program at Guelph University! I have been told by lots of people who haven taken Psychology in general at different universities and they all say its hard! Does anyone know how the program is like??
Was this helpful? Yes 0
22 replies

A photo of kaylamarie kaylamarie
I intend to take first year psychology in September 2011, I know quite a few people who have taken first year psych and then some. From what I can gather it really is not as bad as it sounds, as long as your a pretty dedicated student you will do just fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Valentina Valentina
I'm from another country, but a psychologist can be in here as can be in China...
i'm gonna tell u what i know: my friend's sister is studying psychology and she repeated 4th year (i think, i don't remember which exactly). i don't think it's difficult if u really like it but something is true: u'r gonna read a lot of books..thousands of them!! and huge books, not the little tiny ones... but if u want to be a psychologist is going to be a ride! trust me ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vanjoy vanjoy
I've also applied at various universities/colleges in the Psychology program and I have no idea what life will be like during my first year..... but in BC, you start off by registering in the Science or Art faculty so since the psychology I'm doing is more towards Arts, I think psychology would only be one of the courses amongst my others.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of campom campom
hey!

I'm transferring into the psychology program at McMaster and let me tell you, Psychology is fun if you really really enjoy it. On that note, it's a lot of work and, if it's anything like the courses we have here at Mac, you're going to spend hours going over the material if you want to do well on the midterms/exams. A general trend in psychology is that students who are in the program do well because it's something they wholeheartedly enjoy! I know a lot of people who took first year psychology and absolutely hated it, but if you enjoy it, you'll love it and will do good.

Even if you find that maybe psychology isn't for you, don't be alarmed! Lots of students finish a degree that most likely isn't the one they started off with!

Honestly, find what interests you, and find something that makes you happy because when you're writing or studying into the wee hours of the morning, this will be the one thing to motivate you and keep you going.

I'm sure you'll do great and remember, have fun along the way;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PurpleMustang PurpleMustang
I'm studying Psychology at the University of Western Ontario. There is a LOT of reading, but I love it. I do, however, know many people who completely hate the course. Our class averages on exams are not that high because multiple-choice exams can be very tricky. So far, I'm getting ~87% in first year Psychology, which is one of my highest courses. Like I said, though, keep in mind that I have a genuine interest in the field so I'm willing to work hard to achieve the grades that I do.

To be accepted into the Honours Specialization in Psychology for year two (at Western), a minimum of 78% is required (or so). So as you can see, it's quite competitive to get into an Honours program in Psychology - likely because there are a lot of people studying Psychology in university.

Have any more questions? Check out my blog:
http://thepurplepages.wordpress.com/

or email me at thepurplepagesmail@gmail.com
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of simpson18 simpson18

@stephaniie wrote
I applied for the first year Psychology program at Guelph University! I have been told by lots of people who haven taken Psychology in general at different universities and they all say its hard! Does anyone know how the program is like??

I'm a first year Child Psych major at Windsor, so obvs not the same profs or anything, but I just want you to know--it's not that the psych programs are extremely hard, there's just a tonnnn of information. I learned last semester that you really need to take lecture notes, read the assigned chapters (before the lecture) and constantly review your notes and the profs slides. My midterm exam was killer, because I didn't really study til like the weekend before, and I tried to cram all the info into a couple days, and it just didn't work. I ended up getting a 60, and for my final, I made sure to read the chapters, and constantly review my notes, as well as study and quiz my friends, and I improved almost 10%.
If you're disciplined and diligent, you should be fine!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi! I'm a first year, soon to be pysch major at St. Francis Xavier University in Nova Scotia.
Personally, I found my first-year pysch course to be a tedious and boring course, and it nearly broke my interest in pysch! However, I had many 2nd year friends who encouraged me to stick it out because the upper-level psych courses are very cool and very interesting. What I love most about pysch is all the opportunities it leads to after graduation, dozens of grad programs and plenty of ways to create a career!
Good luck, and good choice!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of kevinlei8 kevinlei8
My brother took a phychology class last year at Western (although he wasn't studying it specifically)and he seemed to learn a lot. In the summer, he was doing these weird "analysis" of everyone in the family! Anyway, I think he had one textbook and I don't recall him mentioning any grand assessments; he didn't complain about the exam either.

Hope that gives you some insight!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of garnet garnet
Well, I can't speak for all universities, but I've enjoyed my time so far taking Intro level Psychology. I've already done the first semester and I'm now on my second and it's been good so far. So long as you're interested in the field of study, read your textbook, and do the assignments, you should be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lostanna lostanna
I don't have any personal experience, but I am applying to UBC Okanagan for a psych/english double major so I've been asking around. A friend of mine is taking psych at UofR and says that she's having the time of her life. She is registered in this one math class, though, that is ridiculously easy. A few days ago they learned how to add and subtract three digit numbers! If that class is one of the requirements it can't be that hard, right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of annikadenhollander777 annikadenhollander777
It is almost always easier to remember something if you find it really interesting. I personally have a pretty bad memory (I couldn't even tell you what I did last weekend), but I noticed that even though I graduated high school six and a half months ago, I can still remember interesting facts from my Challenge & Change class (psychology mostly). Thats how I know psychology is right for me. I am not in university yet (I took a year off to travel around Europe) but I just got accepted last week into McMaster University for Psychology, Neuroscience, and Behaviour. I know it will be a lot of work, but I am looking forward to it because I love learning about psychology.

A book you might try reading is Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell. I read it over a year ago, but I can still bring up facts from the book in discussions, because I found it truly interesting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stevie Stevie
Thanks! This has helped me a lot. I just applied to Western University where I hope to get accepted, and have been wondering what the first year psych program is like as I hope to become a psychologist one day.

@PurpleMustang wrote
I'm studying Psychology at the University of Western Ontario. There is a LOT of reading, but I love it. I do, however, know many people who completely hate the course. Our class averages on exams are not that high because multiple-choice exams can be very tricky. So far, I'm getting ~87% in first year Psychology, which is one of my highest courses. Like I said, though, keep in mind that I have a genuine interest in the field so I'm willing to work hard to achieve the grades that I do.

To be accepted into the Honours Specialization in Psychology for year two (at Western), a minimum of 78% is required (or so). So as you can see, it's quite competitive to get into an Honours program in Psychology - likely because there are a lot of people studying Psychology in university.

Have any more questions? Check out my blog:
http://thepurplepages.wordpress.com/

or email me at thepurplepagesmail@gmail.com

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DakotaJade DakotaJade
I'm in my second year of a psychology program and am taking a number of upper year courses as well. Psych isn't hard so long as you enjoy what you're taking. If at all possible focus on courses that might interest you; you should be able to gear your classes more towards an interest (ie, social, abnormal, or child psych, etc.) If you plan to go to graduate school in psychology be prepared for several years of research!! It's a good idea to volunteer in some kind of lab if possible to get an idea of whether or not research is even interesting to you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FM1 FM1
As long as you are into it and dedicated you will enjoy it a lot even the hard stuff. :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mer1616 mer1616
I can't tell you from personal experience (since i'm only applying at the moment) but i've heard that yes it is tough, but its rewarding..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Don't be concerned about how hard it is, its only a small price to pay for doing something that you truly enjoy
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vampyro Vampyro
I'm working on an honours in psychology at the University of Winnipeg and the first year psych course is difficult because it's such an array of information. Once you get to second year, you get to select specified courses to study in depth.
If psychology is something that interests you, go for it. It is a bit of reading, but it isn't much of a chore if you enjoy it.
Hope this helps people who don't know if psychology is right for them!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Harby Harby

This sounds like me haha, I've also applied to Psych at Guelph. Hope to see you there. :)

Also, it sounds like psychology is a lot of reading, which is good for me. Are there very many essays? And: has anyone ever taken a sports psychology course? That's what I wish to specialize in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jhazz jhazz
I'm not a major in psych and I dont go to Guelph but I have taken lots of psych courses (intro psych, psychopathology, social psychology, developmental psychology, educational psychology) and I do find them a bit challenging-some more than others. It really depends on your prof and how they structure the course (and how you learn!). Definitely keep up with your readings though, it makes understanding lectures a lot easier!
Good luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dearjasminee dearjasminee
what jobs can i get with a degree in psych? because i know its reallly really hard finding a job with a psych degree so im not sure if thats what i want D: and most jobs you need to have a graduate degree
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ShelbyK ShelbyK

@dearjasminee wrote
what jobs can i get with a degree in psych? because i know its reallly really hard finding a job with a psych degree so im not sure if thats what i want D: and most jobs you need to have a graduate degree

http://psychology.about.com/od/careersinpsychology/a/careersbach.htm

Maybe a little Google searching will do :study:; hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ceara21 Ceara21
I have not been able to find info on whether Criminology programs cover all social sciences.. anyone have any extra info on this!? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0