yconic - Psychology in Toronto
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Psychology in Toronto

A photo of IAmMe IAmMe
I'm a high school student looking to apply to a psychology program at an University in Toronto (Ryerson, UofT, York, etc). I have a couple of questions to either professors, current students, or alumni of psych. programs. I'm also open to anyone that has insight on the psychology programs!

1. What are the general high school prerequisites for psych? Is calc. one of them?
My current courses: EngU *taken in summer school
ChemU
Adv. Functions
BioU
PhysicsU
MusicU
2. UofT Scarborough has co-op. Can I go to a different Uni. for about a year and then jump right into the UofT co-op program?
3. Child psych. is ultimately my main goal. What minors do you recommend?
4. Any comment/suggestions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of AdriannaCote AdriannaCote
I'm doing a Bachelor of Science Honors specialization in Psychology, and you will want that calculus if you plan on doing a Bachelor of Science. A minor can be useful only if you plan on adding a field of interest(like a minor in leisure studies to work with community centers). If you want to be a child psychologist(I do too)plan on going to grad school. I would ask UoT about their coop as many schools run them differently. Hope that helps, feel free to message me with any other questions!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IAmMe IAmMe
^^ thank you so much!
Is Calculus required, or is it just a recommend course? (will it give me an upper hand?) Also is grad school something that I have to apply to AFTER completing my bachelor at uni?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AdriannaCote AdriannaCote
It was required for my program, and as a result of not having it I needed to do a make up course, putting me a course behind on my schedule. You generally need the Bachelors degree in order to apply to grad school, but it's good to think about now, especially if you already know what you plan on doing in grad school. (My top picks are Waterloo, Toronto and Victoria for grad school right now)
Was this helpful? Yes 0