yconic - Public Heath Policy
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Public Heath Policy

A photo of IronMan IronMan
Hi there,

I am really interested to know if there is any Top Canadian school that offers Public Health Policy as an Undergraduate Program ? thanks in advance.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey,

York University has an undergraduate degree offering a Bachelor of Health Studies with a specialization in Health Policy, Health Management or Health Informatics.

Here's a link: [url]http://www.yorku.ca/health/shpm/about.html[/url]

Brock Uniersity has a undergraduate program offering a degree through their Faculty of Applied Health Sciences called Bachelor of Public Health.

Here's a link: [url]http://brocku.ca/applied-health-sciences/academic-departments/comm-health-sciences/academic-programs/bachelor-public-health[/url]

If you have any further questions please ask me!

I was interested in getting a degree in Public Health before but now I think I'll just consider that for a Masters instead depending what I do in the future in terms of grad or professional schooling.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Medic93 wrote
Hey,

York University has an undergraduate degree offering a Bachelor of Health Studies with a specialization in Health Policy, Health Management or Health Informatics.

Here's a link: [url]http://www.yorku.ca/health/shpm/about.html[/url]

Brock Uniersity has a undergraduate program offering a degree through their Faculty of Applied Health Sciences called Bachelor of Public Health.

Here's a link: [url]http://brocku.ca/applied-health-sciences/academic-departments/comm-health-sciences/academic-programs/bachelor-public-health[/url]

If you have any further questions please ask me!

I was interested in getting a degree in Public Health before but now I think I'll just consider that for a Masters instead depending what I do in the future in terms of grad or professional schooling.

I am really thankful for your response, I would love to know why do you consider it now for graduate studies instead ? Because I am thinking to take this major as pre-med ! What's your opinion about that ? Because, I am really interested in the MD / Master of Public policy offered at many top US Medical schools and I don't think Brock U or York U have strong programs to get me in those top schools nor would be a great back up in case rejected from med school wish I hope not ! Any thoughts would be appreciated !
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Try looking at the University of Westerns Ontario's Bachelor of Health Science program, you can specialize in the area you're interested in. If Western isn't good enough as far as reputation goes, take a look at Queens for their Bachelor of Arts in Health Studies program.

Main reason why I'm not going into it now and reserving it for the possibility of graduate studies is because I have a big interest for Psychology & Neuroscience and already have some research interests that I'd like to do for a possible thesis in my 4th year of University. Kinesiology is another field which I'm possibly going into but right now I'm definitely leaning more towards the Psych/Neuro field.

Considering you are interested in Public Health Policy, then go for any of my suggestions because you can have this degree as a solid backup working in Health Care management, planning, coordination, administration, and research. Plus if you don't make it to Medical School you won't be stuck with a generic Life Sciences degree.

If you have any other questions, just ask:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I heard about the McMaster Health sciences program which have a high graduates rate going to medical school so I am quite interested, I read that they have a Global Health major within their program which involves Public Health policy but enrollment is limited, do you have any idea about that program ? Also heard it is competitive to get into !
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well do you have a 90% average and are you ready to write a meaningful supplementary application?

McMaster's Health Science program is indeed competitive to gain entry into but I think it's such a well rounded program. Cause all the hardcore science classes are pretty much offered at any University, but what McMaster's Health Science program offers is really unique.

Global Health is a specialization within the Bachelor of Health Science program, it's good if you'd like to get involved with health care in foreign countries. You'd cover topics ranging from issues within the delivery of health care, funding, availability of care, ethics, research, etc.

In terms of answering specific questions about Mac's Health Science program, I'm in no position to do that because I'm not even in University yet Haha. There are a couple people on this forum who are graduates or currently in the program which can better answer your questions.

What I said above is me doing my best to give you some over sight of what I know:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You know, I am just so confused about what would be the best pre-med program in Canada that would help me get in a Top US/Canadian med school and be at the same time a good back in case rejected ! I don't know why it is so hard to find such program ! I know there are pre-med programs in the U.S but I just think that it would be really stupid to spend so much money in the undergrad while you can have an undergrad education in Canada as good as in the U.S, I just would like to save some money for medical school cause it requires a lot and at least at then if I get into a top one in US such as Yale or Harvard med school it is worth every penny of it ! can somebody just tell me if there is any such program in Canada ? because I am dying to know ! I also I don't why Canadian universities don't neither pre-med committees that are supposed to write the letter of recommendations and report for med school nor important pre-med societies ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0