yconic - Public schools vs. Private schools
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Public schools vs. Private schools

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Carry on discussion from this thread on the old forums.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
35 replies

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah

I have wanted to go to boarding school for years, bu that would never happen in a million years.

I thought that I received excellent schooling for grades p-9. If I had a choice, I would be at a private school now. I know that my friends in private school are being held to much higher academic standards. However, at 10 k/ year to go to high school, that is not a viable option.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leviaidan leviaidan
Alternative school FTW.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@leviaidan wrote
Alternative school FTW.

Do you go to one?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kaloolah wrote

@leviaidan wrote
Alternative school FTW.

Do you go to one?

Yup.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of xXxUfacStorAxXx xXxUfacStorAxXx
I want to go to UCC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moodeline moodeline
I go to a private school and I love it, not because of the fact that it's independent, but because of the school itself. I'm an IB diploma candidate which is an opportunity I wouldn't have otherwise. I've been given a lot of opportunities I know I wouldn't have had otherwise such as going on a three month academic exchange for three months in grade nine to Australia, and participating in a wide range of extra curriculars. It also makes me happy to know that I have to work really, really hard to get my 88-90% average whereas I know many people in other schools who get 95+ averages with half of the work I do. And it's frustrating but I hope I'll be a better student down the line because of it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of slader23 slader23
I agree with Moodline..I go to a private Boarding school and you get pushed much harder...I am lucky enough to have experienced both systems as I was in public school until the 8th grade and during that time in the public system I can tell you that I wasn't pushed academically but that depends on the area...Once I got into private school the amount of work and difficulty of the subjects was quite the shock but once you get used to it and are doing well you really understand why your parents made this decision. To put this into perspective my first year in private school I had an average of 69% and now in my final year winter term mark update I have 90.6% average and I am the Residential Prefect (Student Head of both male and female residences) ....and getting there was extremely hard. So in my opinion Private school wins strictly on academics but also in future business opportunities.....Public school gives you one hell of a social life though..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I'd like to go to private school, but public school is a lot lulzier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote
I'd like to go to private school, but public school is a lot lulzier.

I agree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@slader23 wrote
I agree with Moodline..I go to a private Boarding school and you get pushed much harder...I am lucky enough to have experienced both systems as I was in public school until the 8th grade and during that time in the public system I can tell you that I wasn't pushed academically but that depends on the area...Once I got into private school the amount of work and difficulty of the subjects was quite the shock but once you get used to it and are doing well you really understand why your parents made this decision. To put this into perspective my first year in private school I had an average of 69% and now in my final year winter term mark update I have 90.6% average and I am the Residential Prefect (Student Head of both male and female residences) ....and getting there was extremely hard. So in my opinion Private school wins strictly on academics but also in future business opportunities.....Public school gives you one hell of a social life though..

I would love to be at a boarding school, or even a regular private school. I agree with what you've said.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ilhan ilhan
I think that in public school you get more freedom
if your not going to show up in class then thats good for you whereas in private school teachers actually care about their students and want them to do good.
private school also gives you more opportunities, but you have to work harder which prepares you for university or college because if you don't work hard you dont go no where so you might as well get used to it when you have it easier in high school
im not against public schools ive been to both and imn inm a private school now, but i guess public schools have more live sports games
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of slader23 slader23
Yea in Public school you can definitely skip class easily because they don't care and that is a big difference as in private school you are directly paying for your education so if your not willing to work than its just a waste of your time and your parents money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@ilhan wrote

im not against public schools ive been to both and imn inm a private school now, but i guess public schools have more live sports games

Well, that's a deal breaker right there then, isn't it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
In private school you're not a loner if you're the only one working hard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of steele steele
Publicly-funded Catholic schools are where it's at! :thumleft:

Lol, I guess I only go to one because it's close and less sketchy than the public schools in the area. Kinda hate mandatory religion class though...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of timcommandeur14 timcommandeur14
I've gone to both and I do not like private school. At all. Uniforms suck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ederoo ederoo
I went to an all boys private school. Ask me anything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted