yconic - pure science or engineering?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

pure science or engineering?

A photo of RonaldWeasley RonaldWeasley
Your reasoning is pretty valid. I'm in grad school in engineering and the pay is pretty low and getting an academic job is really really competitive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Your reasoning is pretty valid. I'm in grad school in engineering and the pay is pretty low and getting an academic job is really really competitive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waterfall waterfall
Follow your heart.

But of course one has to make a compromise with reality. That is, money. I am in the same boat as you so I have been researching possible careers for maths/physics majors. Given that you attain a doctorate degree in a quantitative field (Applied Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Computer Sciences, Operations Research, Electrical Engineering, Pure Mathematics) apparently you can work in finance, making $200k per year, but work hours is long. (Search for 'quants') I am not in the field so I can say for certain, this is just a piece of advice from PhysicsForums.
Was this helpful? Yes 0