yconic - Q & A with Dr. Nazarus
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Q & A with Dr. Nazarus

A photo of nazarus nazarus
I am sure you have many questions about choosing and attending an undergraduate business program.
If you have any questions, please post them here, and I will do my best to answer them.

Best,

Dr. Nazarus
Was this helpful? Yes 0
113 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
What route must I follow to obtain the "Dr." title?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@i300 wrote
What route must I follow to obtain the "Dr." title?

After you complete your undergraduate education, the quickest route to Dr. title is to complete a Juris Doctor (JD) degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apark17 apark17
UW/WLU bmath/bba vs QC which is better? why?

what is your PhD in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

no, but DD does offer great co-op opportunities. First co-op term for WLU based students begin the summer after first year - i know many students who have legit jobs now at financial institutions (big 5), accounting firms (big 4), and other types of organizations doing work that are often given to 2nd/3rd year students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@nazarus wrote
no, but DD does offer great co-op opportunities. First co-op term for WLU based students begin the summer after first year - i know many students who have legit jobs now at financial institutions (big 5), accounting firms (big 4), and other types of organizations doing work that are often given to 2nd/3rd year students.

how about the students from waterloo? (for co-op placements) can they get the ones you mentioned above?

would it provide me with a better opportunity than queens comm?

program really that hard?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@apark17 wrote

@nazarus wrote

how about the students from waterloo?

would it provide me with a better opportunity than queens comm?

program really that hard?

Opps my apoogies - what i meant was UW not WLU.. WLU co-op does not begin until 2nd year. UW students get legit co-op jobs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Blue12345 Blue12345
Waterloo AFM-fm or Schulich?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hairykangaroo hairykangaroo
What are your thoughts on rotman commerce? Where would it rank.overall amomgst other canadian univs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mercenary mercenary
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHA the title of this thread made me rofl...
I'll just join in for some fun...
I have no idea what I want to do yet. Entrepreneurship, IB, CA....
Which of my options Is best for above Schulich, Telfer or UTSc?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
I'm torn between entering the fields of business or science. My prospective programs are Queen's for Commerce and McMaster for Health Science. I don't particularly like biology, but I've been gunning for a career in science my entire life up until this past year. I've found moderate success in both areas, and I have a aptitude to a certain extent in both fields.

Looking at the future of both industries, the economy and overall job prospects... Do you think the pursuing the chance of becoming a doctor is worth it? Or do you think entering the field of business is a better (overall safer) choice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@onlymatthew wrote
I'm torn between entering the fields of business or science. My prospective programs are Queen's for Commerce and McMaster for Health Science. I don't particularly like biology, but I've been gunning for a career in science my entire life up until this past year. I've found moderate success in both areas, and I have a aptitude to a certain extent in both fields.

Looking at the future of both industries, the economy and overall job prospects... Do you think the pursuing the chance of becoming a doctor is worth it? Or do you think entering the field of business is a better (overall safer) choice?

No Biotech/CA? :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@johnnycanuck wrote

No Biotech/CA? :P

I only heard of this program after I applied to university. In any case, it never really appealed to me because it: is a program at Waterloo, is notoriously difficult (at least to get into), doesn't seem awfully practical. I may not be completely informed about it, but regardless, it is not one of my options :cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mercenary wrote

schulich for sure.

i thought you were set on schulich man?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Hey Dr. N,

I'm deciding (as my signature suggests) between Ivey and Math/CA. I think I got the pros/cons nailed in but I really just can't pick which ones for me.

I think it comes a lot to Prestige and uncertainty vs. substance and security. I've always wanted to break into ibank but I'm pretty sure it's going to be very difficult in Ivey even if it's target based on 1) it's expanding to 600 kids and 2) Being smart is one thing but you may not necessarily be in the top percentage using the case study method.

RE: iBank, I think I'm bias to it because well, what kind of business-aspiring teenager doesn't want to live the "banker" life? I don't think there's any really way to know what you want to do at 18.

Also, I think I have a lot of bias into the CA degree ... bad bias - too many stereotypes out there. Can you give me realistic paths from Math/CA with specific numbers (As in salary).

Side note: As someone coming from a semi-traditional Asian family, I'm getting a lot of influence for Math/CA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Blue12345 wrote
Waterloo AFM-fm or Schulich?

If you are set on finance, and do not mind having no shot at the very top firms, then go with AFM. Although many top firms recruit at Schulich for finance, they rarely take anybody from Schulich anyways. You won't miss out much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@hairykangaroo wrote
What are your thoughts on rotman commerce? Where would it rank.overall amomgst other canadian univs?

Rotman Commerce has a reputation for accepting a ton load of international students. This is mostly done to raise money to fund their graduate programs and its facility (Rotman MBA building expansion while Rotman commerce students take their courses in basement of Woodsworth residence).

I am personally not a fan of Rotman Commerce, but one thing I will tell you is that they have a fantastic curriculum and top-class professors.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mercenary wrote

Schulich will open the most doors for you. Many Schulich grads become successful down the road, and having that network would be beneficial to you when you're doing your own business. Same cannot be said about Telfer or UTSC simply because the quality of students graduating from those 2 institutions are not the same.

As for IB or CA, Schulich does receive more recruiting than Telfer or UTSC.

Schulich is the clear winner here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Dr. Nazarus,

I am deciding between Waterloo AFM-PA and Queen's Commerce (prospective CA).

Any recommendations? I have been accepted to both, just waiting on Fellowship program and other scholarships.

Best,

Johnny
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
Hey Dr.Naz, maybe i was wrong about you =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@onlymatthew wrote

Matthew, for me personally, if I was in your situation, I would take McMaster. While you are completing your health sciences degree, take some courses in economics and business as electives. Moving forward, MBA is always an option, and you will find that with both science and business background, you will have much more opportunities than somebody with a BComm.

Especially with biotechnology becoming a popular (and profitable) industry, you will find that your earning potential will be much greater with a health sciences degree and a business education later down the road.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
Hey Dr. N,

I'm deciding (as my signature suggests) between Ivey and Math/CA. I think I got the pros/cons nailed in but I really just can't pick which ones for me.

I think it comes a lot to Prestige and uncertainty vs. substance and security. I've always wanted to break into ibank but I'm pretty sure it's going to be very difficult in Ivey even if it's target based on 1) it's expanding to 600 kids and 2) Being smart is one thing but you may not necessarily be in the top percentage using the case study method.

RE: iBank, I think I'm bias to it because well, what kind of business-aspiring teenager doesn't want to live the "banker" life? I don't think there's any really way to know what you want to do at 18.

Also, I think I have a lot of bias into the CA degree ... bad bias - too many stereotypes out there. Can you give me realistic paths from Math/CA with specific numbers (As in salary).

Side note: As someone coming from a semi-traditional Asian family, I'm getting a lot of influence for Math/CA.

immaculatedx,

Contrary to your expectations, there are many students who like investment banking for what it is, not for its lifestyle, prestige, or culture. I have seen 1st year students at Schulich, Queen's and UofT who started to invest in the stock market/commodities since they were 13 or so. Also, I have seen many 1st year students who can create financial (M&A, DCF, LBO) models on excel - these are often skills used in actual investment banking, and are not usually taught until 3rd year in many schools.

These are the kids who will actually make into banking and ultimately be successful in that field. Of course, there are plenty of exceptions, but the norm is still the norm.

As far as Ivey expansion is concerned, remember that with 2x the student, Ivey will receive 2x the money they can spend on career services. Although I suspect the competition to be tougher, there will be more jobs (although "less prestigious") to mitigate the increased demand. That being said, as long as you at the top of your class, whether your school is 1000 students or 50000 students does not matter. All that matters is that you work hard to achieve your goals.

As for CA, you will start as a "staff accountant", and make $45k/year (with x% yearly increase) out of graduation until you successfully complete all your requirements for the designation. At that point, you can choose to stay with Big 4, or move into the industry. To put it bluntly, you will have no issue reaching $100k/year salary goal before you're 30.

Furthermore, with recent increase in demand for CAs but lack of CATO firms, industry and government firms are now able to provide CA hours. This path is often more lucrative than the traditional Big 4 + BDO + RSM route, where CA trainees are underpaid or overworked.
Was this helpful? Yes 0