yconic - Q & A with g93
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Q & A with g93

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
Hello good people of Student Awards Forums

I have taken the luxury of creating this thread without g93's permission. ia m sure he will be okay with it.

During his extended absence, it became painfully obvious how helpful he truly is. A wealth of knowledge, one might say. He answers questions for people in multiple threads, and by PM. Why don't we have a thread where you can ask him questions? He is (was?) an active user, so it would make sense.

I toiled with the thread tile of "g93's Thread" and the one you see currently, tell me what you think is better. And g93, please tell me what you think ;)

So ask away. I guarantee you he will answer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
92 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Ha ha, way to show initiative. I guess I will answer questions here, if anyone has anything to ask.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of currymasta currymasta
where do you plan to go next year? and do you know if it is difficult to get co-op at Laurier BBA
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@currymasta wrote
where do you plan to go next year? and do you know if it is difficult to get co-op at Laurier BBA

From what I understand about (or a little above) 30% of people get coop from all of the SBE
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mikey12y mikey12y
Laurier Honors econ & accounting or Guelph Bcomm Accounting

Not a big fan of econ, heard its difficult.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of king0fkings king0fkings
Quick question for you, I plan on becoming a CA and was wondering which school is better, Brock Co-Op Accounting or Rotman Commerce. I'm thinking Brock might be better as it is more focused on becoming a CA and I should have decent opportunities seeing as I could get co-op placement at the Big 4. I'm still not sure. Help is appreciated. Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@king0fkings wrote
Quick question for you, I plan on becoming a CA and was wondering which school is better, Brock Co-Op Accounting or Rotman Commerce. I'm thinking Brock might be better as it is more focused on becoming a CA and I should have decent opportunities seeing as I could get co-op placement at the Big 4. I'm still not sure. Help is appreciated. Thanks

Keep in mind you may change your mind and not want to become a CA. In that case Rotman wins hands down. You'd be surprised how many people realize that they're not actually that interested in what they thought they were interested in at the beginning.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
Why did you only apply to three programs? Do you ever regret it? I mean like, do you feel you should have applied more places just in case?

What are your future goals and how are you planning on achieving them?

What is the ratio on each of your Uni choices? Like what's the percentage of you going to UW, WLU, etc?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@smarty1 wrote
Why did you only apply to three programs? Do you ever regret it? I mean like, do you feel you should have applied more places just in case?

Although this wasn't addressed to me I still want to answer it.

Yes I regret only apply to 4 big time. Could've gotten into McGill (and would have gone), and Schulich (wouldn't have gone anyways but still).

Woulda, coulda, shoulda though lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@smarty1 wrote

What are your future goals and how are you planning on achieving them?

What is the ratio on each of your Uni choices? Like what's the percentage of you going to UW, WLU, etc?

I would have only applied to two, but there was a minimum of 3. I do not regret it, as I was confident that I would get into the two programs I wanted most, and did. I essentially had 4 programs as I would have received an alt. offer to Honours Economics at Laurier had my marks dropped, and it if fully accredited and a decent program.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@currymasta wrote

Deciding between Waterloo and Laurier, with Waterloo being the front-runner but something is holding me back.

Yes, it is fairly difficult. As username81 said, only ~30% of people get co-op.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@mikey12y wrote

If you don't like economics, majoring in it would not be that smart.

I would say Guelph as a result of this, and apply to transfer to Laurier (and other schools) after first year. Guelph is decent and the students all like the program, you'll probably have some fun.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@mikey12y wrote

If you don't like economics, majoring in it would not be that smart.

I would say Guelph as a result of this

+ 1

Don't take something that doesn't fully interest you
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@king0fkings wrote

If you are confident that you want to become a CA, and aren't one to change your mind easily, I would recommend Brock. It is a good program, fully-accredited, and has a well-structured co-op program. It is focused on accounting, and they do ge tsome big 4 jobs, just not a ton.

Rotman is still an excellent school. Some people don't like it (high drop out rates, poor atmosphere, etc) but it has an excellent reputation nonetheless. Plus it is a full business program.

They are not so far apart from each other, so consider campus, atmosphere, social life, rez, cost, etc.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1

@Username81 wrote

@smarty1 wrote

Although this wasn't addressed to me I still want to answer it.

Yes I regret only apply to 4 big time. Could've gotten into McGill (and would have gone), and Schulich (wouldn't have gone anyways but still).

Woulda, coulda, shoulda though lol

Lol I understand you totally bud. :)

You still got Laurier in your sleeves though, so no worries. xD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Told ya lol

You didn't answer all of smarty1's questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
1) Whats your favourite flavour ice cream?

2) What is your thought on Michael Scott leaving the Office?
b) Who do you think will replace Michael Scott as manager of Dunder Mifflin Scranton?

3) What measures have you taken in order to prepare yourself for the upcoming rapture?

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@thecookiemonster wrote
Told ya lol

You didn't answer all of smarty1's questions.

Oops.

Future plans: I want to be a billionaire, running my own company. I will settle for wildly successful business man at a top company. I will achieve this by going to Waterloo or Laurier, becoming a CA, working at one of the Big 4 for a few years, then entering industry and gaining some experience. My friend(s) and I (smart engineers) may start the greatest company yet.

I have started already by getting into the programs I want, and landed an internship in the accounting department of a large, manufacturing facility.

Ratio: 75% UW, 25% WLU maybe, I don't know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@noxx98 wrote
b) Who do you think will replace Michael Scott as manager of Dunder Mifflin Scranton?

3) What measures have you taken in order to prepare yourself for the upcoming rapture?

2a) I was absolutely devasted
b) Jim Carrey/guy from Everybody loves Raymond would be an obvious guess so probably neither of those 2
c) I've been repenting since Y2K
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@noxx98 wrote
1) Whats your favourite flavour ice cream?

1) Vanilla, multi-functional and tastes good at any time

2) I think it is very sad.
b) I have applied, we'll see how it goes.

3) In a few minutes, I will be leaving for my hidden bunker in Northern Ontario, where I will hopefully be able to avoid most of the damage.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Auditing, tax, ...?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@thecookiemonster wrote
Auditing, tax, ...?

Insolvency
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@thecookiemonster wrote
Auditing, tax, ...?

What is fun, exciting, sexy?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream
LMAO
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sadly sadly
is Queens commerce really the best?
I didn't apply, it just seems like everyone's going crazy over the rejections.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@sadly wrote
is Queens commerce really the best?
I didn't apply, it just seems like everyone's going crazy over the rejections.

IMO Ivey is better for most things.

But yeah.
Was this helpful? Yes 0