yconic - QComm vs. UW FARM vs. UW CFM
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

QComm vs. UW FARM vs. UW CFM

A photo of Haru Haru
I want to go into Finance in the long run, but I also want to keep my options open. Currently debating between 3 programs. Each with their adv/disadv:

QC: Hands down one of the best business schools. My only concern is the environment. I can't see myself there.

FARM: Very specific path that leads you to your CFA/PRM (I would choose CFA though). Only concern is how well it prepares you for CFA exams as well as career flexibility. How easy is it to get Co-op placements for FARM?

CFM: Great program that combines waterloo's safm and cs. Gives you 2 paths to choose, making it flexible. Currently there's demand for knowledge of both fields. Only concern is that I'll basically be competing with afm/cs majors and whether i will be in a disadvantage since the program's cut right down the middle between the two fields.

So there it is. Any advice/thoughts/suggestions would be nice. Thanks a lot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of CityBoy CityBoy
I applied to FARM as well just three weeks ago and after applying I asked my finance teacher what he thinks of it. He thinks its too specific of a degree to get for an undergrad, he says risk management is something you learn after an undergrad when you specialize in it. It's better if you get a more generalized degree and then pursue a CFA.

Don't know that's what he said, and I would agree to an extent. I would choose between QC and CFM if I were you.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of axiom2true axiom2true
What are your concerns with the environment at Queen's?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Try Schulich. you can persue any accounting dream there, with a fair chance of anything else involving business. Queens is almost the same except not focused as much on accounting, but very expensive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ocrossman ocrossman
Actually, over 1/3 Queen's Commerce students pursue accounting, so it's a very supportive environment for those who are interested in that. And if you haven't visited Queen's campus yet, you definitely should before deciding the environment isn't for you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
Sorry guys. Wrong use of words. I didn't mean that the environment of Queens is bad because I really do love the campus, it's beautiful in every way (been there many times). I meant more as a personal feel--Just can't imagine myself there.

@CityBoy: I agree with you completely about FARM being too specific. That's kind of why I'm hesitant about going for it. Then again, wouldn't it be okay to pursue an MBA after? (i guess to make up for the broader view of business)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QueensHSL2011 QueensHSL2011

@Haru wrote
Sorry guys. Wrong use of words. I didn't mean that the environment of Queens is bad because I really do love the campus, it's beautiful in every way (been there many times). I meant more as a personal feel--Just can't imagine myself there.

@CityBoy: I agree with you completely about FARM being too specific. That's kind of why I'm hesitant about going for it. Then again, wouldn't it be okay to pursue an MBA after? (i guess to make up for the broader view of business)

Hey,

Just wanted to tell you from a Commerce students perspective that he environment of QC is unparalleled. Take a look at comsoc.queensu.ca under the getting involved tab. You can see all of the just commerce things you can get involved in, many of them for first years as well. Then look at myams.org and see all the Queen's wide things you can get involved in. QC has a family atmosphere, you get to know a large portion of your class, and everybody finds their niche.

ALSO

If you got into Queen's Commerce or want to ask more questions, 1st-4th year commerce students are ready to answer your questions Officially! If we don't know the answer we will contact the right people. http://www.facebook.com/...e-2015/162152840510200. CHECK IT OUT
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mundane12321 mundane12321

@axiom2true wrote

I'm not the OP, but...
I'm an asian living in GTA area with s*** load of asian people in my surroundings.
i've visited queen's campus.. and it seems like pretty much everyone is white
not being racist or anything like that, but iunno, just can't really picture myself there nor queen's environment exactly feels like "home" to me...
where as laurier, although majority of population were caucasian it felt more welcoming
than queen's. But that could be just me.

but queen's is still one of my top choices since i wish to go into marketing/HR/consulting...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@mundane12321 wrote

@axiom2true wrote

I'm not the OP, but...
I'm an asian living in GTA area with s*** load of asian people in my surroundings.
not being racist or anything like that, but iunno, just can't really picture myself there nor queen's environment exactly feels like "home" to me...
where as laurier, although majority of population were caucasian it felt more welcoming

but queen's is still one of my top choices since i wish to go into marketing/HR/consulting...

It's the same with Caucasians not "fitting in" at Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

@mundane12321 wrote

@axiom2true wrote

I'm not the OP, but...

It's the same with Caucasians not "fitting in" at Waterloo.

that wasn't the point of my post.
i'll be spending 4/5 years of my life there
i'd rather go to some place i feel comfortable
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ You said "it seems like...everyone is white not being racist or anything like that..."

My point was that some Caucasians feel they don't "fit in" at Waterloo because Waterloo has a huge Asian population, not to mention the fact that Waterloo is know as a party-pooper school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote
^ You said "it seems like...everyone is white not being racist or anything like that..."

My point was that some Caucasians feel they don't "fit in" at Waterloo because Waterloo has a huge Asian population, not to mention the fact that Waterloo is know as a party-pooper school

... so are you saying that there's a causal link between overload of asian population and poor partying scene at universities?

I know that there was an article about queen's university discriminating students based on their last names .. not sure what it was called, but whiter the better? or something like that. So i wouldn't be surprised if i don't get in (non-chancellor), although my average is 93, had very good ECs and good PSE.

I'm not going to university for partying or any of that. I like conservative, studious environment.

Waterloo is a good school, but I hated the campus.. plus they don't have a business faculty.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mundane12321 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

... so are you saying that there's a causal link between overload of asian population and poor partying scene at universities?

I know that there was an article about queen's university discriminating students based on their last names .. not sure what it was called, but whiter the better? or something like that. So i wouldn't be surprised if i don't get in (non-chancellor), although my average is 93, had very good ECs and good PSE.

I'm not going to university for partying or any of that. I like conservative, studious environment.

Waterloo is a good school, but I hated the campus.. plus they don't have a business faculty.

I don't know if there is a link. Maybe they should conduct a study?

I've never heard of that. I do hope you get in though.

I don't really care about a university's party scene either.

But Waterloo is known for being dull and boring, with Cold War-era buildings, kinda lifeless (outside the (non) partying btw)

And the lack of a business faculty kind of turns me off too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0