yconic - QEII Scholarship is not NEW money >o
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

QEII Scholarship is not NEW money >o

A photo of Konn2011 Konn2011
So, my original OSAP entitlement was $12,000, with $10,000 in the loan portion.

On the Monday that the QEII result first came out, I got a $3000 scholarhip. I clearly remember the OSAP total had become $15,000 (OSAP plus QEII). I remember because I couldn't believe my good fortune and just kept staring at the screen.

Well, that was not to last. I logged in the next day, only to find that the total has now gone back to $12,000! After the initial shock, I found out that they have reduced the loan portion by the exact amount of the scholarship. So now, it's $7,000 in loan, $2,000 in grant, and $3,000 in scholarship.

Huh? What's up with that? I have always assumed the scholarship is new money, i.e. it's on top of the OSAP amount. I have to admit, though, that the OSAP website never said it's new money, but then it doesn't say it's NOT either.

The stupid thing is, there is absolutely no net benefit to me. This is because the government will cap the loan that you need to repay to $7,000 anyway. I DON'T SEE NO NEW MONEY :batman:. WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH...

Is anyone in the same situation? Or, are you guys lucky enough to see an ACTUAL increase in the OSAP total?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
26 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Reported for spam. Please use the search function. See http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=179&p=7

Topic closed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is that so? Why don't you point me to the EXACT post that talks about whether the QEII money is ADDITIONAL to the original OSAP entitlement? The reason why I created this topic two weeks after the result came out is because I have been waiting for people to post the same observation. I have been following all QEII posts closely, and not one talks about this. But thank you for keeping this topic alive!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kjp8908 kjp8908
So from what I understood of this post, basically your still only being provided
$12000 in financial aid in total, but before it was $10000 loan, now it's $7000 loan, and $5000 grant/scholarship.

So you have $3000 less money to worry about repaying..
how are you not benefitting?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel
They're not going to give you any more free money than you need, and you really shouldn't expect them to. You're already getting the maximum financial aid before QEII
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dyd dyd
debt reduction is always good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
They're not going to give you any more free money than you need, and you really shouldn't expect them to.

Free money, eh? I thought that's all taxpayers' money, courtesy of our parents and, in a few years' time, ourselves. And, how much money do you think one will spend in the first year besides tuition and living expenses? And I am not even thinking about entertainment or social-related spending. Hint: Add up everything you and your parents have bought in the past few weeks just for your first year.

@ktel wrote
You're already getting the maximum financial aid before QEII

That may well be, but you miss the point here. The OSAP website never said whether QEII involves new money or not. While some like you assumed it's all within the OSAP max, others like me interpreted that as new money on top of OSAP.

I assume most of the QEII recipients have received the government's congratulations letter by now. I quote from the Minister's cover letter, "QEII was created to ensure... students who earn top marks... receive special recognition and support." Won't you expect something extra with that kind of sales pitch? Also, the Information for Winners only said, "Your actual scholarship may not exceed your actual tuition costs plus recognized compulsory fees.." There is no reference to not exceeding one's OSAP max.

And that's why I started this thread - to find out if all recipients are in the same position as I am. If it turns out that most will actually have a net benefit, then I will just take it as bad luck that whoever created QEII didn't work out all scenarios. (That is, OSOG and QEII can have the same end result, and people like me are not getting anything extra.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kjp8908 wrote
So from what I understood of this post, basically your still only being provided
$12000 in financial aid in total, but before it was $10000 loan, now it's $7000 loan, and $5000 grant/scholarship.

So you have $3000 less money to worry about repaying..
how are you not benefitting?

I am not benefitting because OSOG would have done the same debt reduction thing. But it looks like OSOG and QEII are mutually exclusive. In my case, I would truly benefit from QEII only if I can have both.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lms lms
Agreed about the capping part and that you could not be benefitting, but ranting here won't help you either. If you want to get your original loan amount and could justify why you need back the $10 000, you should go through the OSAP appeals process now, before the deadline strikes:bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@lms wrote
Agreed about the capping part and that you could not be benefitting, but ranting here won't help you either. If you want to get your original loan amount and could justify why you need back the $10 000, you should go through the OSAP appeals process now, before the deadline strikes:bounce:

I guess I appear to be ranting because I feel the need to clarify to those who don't seem to get the point. I am posting here primarily to share the possibility that QEII may not result in new money and see how others fare. FYI, I have asked the FA office of my uni, and all they did was to mumble-jumble something like, 'Oh yeah, that's how it works'. Mind you, I can accept this outcome - it's just not what I expected. Thank you for 'getting' it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@Konn2011 wrote

@ktel wrote
They're not going to give you any more free money than you need, and you really shouldn't expect them to.

Free money, eh? I thought that's all taxpayers' money, courtesy of our parents and, in a few years' time, ourselves. And, how much money do you think one will spend in the first year besides tuition and living expenses? And I am not even thinking about entertainment or social-related spending. Hint: Add up everything you and your parents have bought in the past few weeks just for your first year.

It's free to you (the grants and scholarships). Your parents paid into this system, you got some loan money. Lucky you. My parents also paid in, yet I wouldn't have qualified for loans.

I graduated already, so I have a pretty good idea of the costs of university. I received a substantial amount of scholarship money and also chose to live at home to lessen the costs. So luckily I didn't need any loans.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kavvyr93 kavvyr93
hey, im in the same situation. got 12000 from osap, and recently found out i received 3500 from the qeii scholarship.. so basically i'm not actually receiving anything... SIGHHHHH
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kavvyr93 wrote
hey, im in the same situation. got 12000 from osap, and recently found out i received 3500 from the qeii scholarship.. so basically i'm not actually receiving anything... SIGHHHHH

Answered you in the other thread. You are just not receiving anything...new.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
stop whining kids and be glad you're getting that much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kraken wrote
stop whining kids and be glad you're getting that much.

Be glad to have a hefty loan and not have wealthy parents? Be glad to have a scholarship that doesn't do anything to the bottom line?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
Be glad you're getting a loan and grants that are paying such a significant portion of your education/expenses. Some of us can't say that much. Also, get a job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kraken wrote
Be glad you're getting a loan and grants that are paying such a significant portion of your education/expenses. Some of us can't say that much.

Irrelevant. We are talking about a very specifc issue here. If I take your thought to the extreme, then we should all be glad that we have fresh air to breathe and clean water to drink.

I have a specific purpose in starting this thread, and that is to make everyone aware that QEII may NOT be something they can rely on to fund their education. In the best case, when one doesn't need OSAP money *after* the first year, then one will enjoy all the QEII money. In the worst case, it won't even reduce the loan portion below $7300. Of course, there's a whole range between these two extremes. This thread will have served its purpose if everyone has this awareness when applying for it.

@kraken wrote
Also, get a job.

Umm, I have a full 40 to 45 years of working life ahead of me, so no need to rush into it. Not if I can help it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
well, lucky you. have fun with your free money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of lashes lashes

@Konn2011 wrote

@kraken wrote
Be glad you're getting a loan and grants that are paying such a significant portion of your education/expenses. Some of us can't say that much.

Irrelevant. We are talking about a very specifc issue here. If I take your thought to the extreme, then we should all be glad that we have fresh air to breathe and clean water to drink.

Then don't take her thought to the extreme, cause that would be an idiotic thing to do.

@Konn2011 wrote
I have a specific purpose in starting this thread, and that is to make everyone aware that QEII may NOT be something they can rely on to fund their education. In the best case, when one doesn't need OSAP money *after* the first year, then one will enjoy all the QEII money. In the worst case, it won't even reduce the loan portion below $7300. Of course, there's a whole range between these two extremes. This thread will have served its purpose if everyone has this awareness when applying for it.

My goodness, you are a persistent one. Contact OSAP. Whine to them. Maybe they'll apply your QEII award against your loan amount. Good luck with that and let us know how it turns out! Also, congrats on getting the QEII. :)

@Konn2011 wrote

@kraken wrote
Also, get a job.

Umm, I have a full 40 to 45 years of working life ahead of me, so no need to rush into it. Not if I can help it.

Yeah krak. Not everyone is built for walking the streets of Toronto like you! Also, the last guy I met on my 'job' extinguished his menthol cigarette on my left tit right after he carved a big "Y" on my right buttcheek... It felt like a cool burn. I don't think I'll be forgetting that lil' azn thug from New Haven anytime soon. :(

What were we talking about again?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken

@lashes wrote

@Konn2011 wrote

@kraken wrote
Also, get a job.

Yeah krak. Not everyone is built for walking the streets of Toronto like you! Also, the last guy I met on my 'job' extinguished his menthol cigarette on my left tit right after he carved a big "Y" on my left buttcheek... It felt like a cool burn. I don't think I'll be forgetting that lil' azn thug from New Haven anytime soon. :(

ooh, how titillating ;)

hmm, wonder what he'd say if I showed this to him!
Was this helpful? Yes 0