yconic - Queen's
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's

A photo of Zion Zion
Has anyone else applied for residence at Queen's next year?

I applied today and got a confirmation number. But I didn't get an e-mail and I didn't have to pay, so I'm wondering if it even worked now...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of Nyx Nyx
? you're going to Queens ??

or am i being stupid and you have to fill out the res form regardless of whether or not you go?

I is confused.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
No, I just filled it out cause there's a chance I will be going there. I thought it was best to get in early, since schools like UBC urge you to apply for res in like October.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
I don't know how Queen's does their residence applications, but here at Trent we do first come first serve for residence. If Queen's is similar it's better you do it now (especially if you're trying to avoid Victoria Hall, which is advisable unless you're a partier-type person).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of treecows treecows
Once you accept you get the res application. Last year it was due like first week of June, along with a residence deposit.
And it's a lottery system, so it doesn't matter when you fill it out, as long as you do it by the deadline.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Oh, alright. Thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Do the theme floors actually have benefits?
Commerce in particular.
Which building are the theme floors in anyway?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
commerce floor is in gordon, i dont know if they are having one again. I loved it here i would recommend it, and its really useful for work and studying. All guys in a floor in leonard. i dont know about other themes like the quite floor, eng floor is in morris. there are nicer buildings then gord brock but honestly you start to love where you live.

queens is a lottery system so when you do the app doesn't matter, dont make any payments until you actually get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Are major entrance scholarship recipients guaranteed the type of single room :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
This is a possible insiders tip, based on a trend i saw but i cant confirm. If on your res app you only select one options ( your top option) and leave the other 3 preferences blank, you are almost guaranteed a spot in the res of your choice. But as far as i know, you are not guaranteed the type of room single room. There is also Watts residence which is just like leggett , in previous years it was only upper years and this year it was first and upper years res. there were plans to make it an upper years res for next year but i dont know if that will happen.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of treecows treecows

@Alizarin wrote
Are major entrance scholarship recipients guaranteed the type of single room :bounce:

From personal experience, most big scholarship winners that I've met got Leggett or Watts. (the aesthetically "nicest" residences). Although my friend got a large scholarship (not sure what organization is funding her though) and she has a single in an all girls residence.

As for theme floors, I THINK the artsci floor is in Wally, or it was last year. But nearly every floor is an artsci floor.

But yeah QCman is right, everyone who was unhappy with their room assignment likes it now (except for some girls stuck in all girl residences) - I got west campus and now am thankful I got that instead of like Leggett or Watts which was my original first choice!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@treecows wrote

@Alizarin wrote

From personal experience, most big scholarship winners that I've met got Leggett or Watts. (the aesthetically "nicest" residences). Although my friend got a large scholarship (not sure what organization is funding her though) and she has a single in an all girls residence.

As for theme floors, I THINK the artsci floor is in Wally, or it was last year. But nearly every floor is an artsci floor.

But yeah QCman is right, everyone who was unhappy with their room assignment likes it now (except for some girls stuck in all girl residences) - I got west campus and now am thankful I got that instead of like Leggett or Watts which was my original first choice!

Thanks. Queen's Rez told me that I wouldn't be guaranteed my choice of rez, but I guess they just didn't want to make any promises. I would think the computer runs through the recipients first (since they need to be guaranteed singles), so I hope I get my first preference!
Was this helpful? Yes 0