yconic - Queens & Ivey, Which is Better for MBA Afterwards?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queens & Ivey, Which is Better for MBA Afterwards?

A photo of noble11 noble11
Hi everyone, does anyone know if which business program, either Queens or Ivey, better prepares one for pursuing an MBA afterwards, either at a Canadian University or a more well known U.S. university, such as Harvard or Wharton?

I am specifically interested in knowning which program better prepares one, content wise, to succeed while taking an MBA, and which program it would be "easier" to get good grades, in order to get into a good MBA program afterwards.

When I was at my Queen's campus tour, my tour guide, a 2nd year commerce student, said that the Queens program very much pushes people in trying to obtain an MBA afterwards, as some of the content taught in QC is repeated during an MBA degree.

So, if one were to choose Ivey or Queens, which would be better for pursuing an MBA afterwards? I know a lot has to do with how hard one works and whatnot, but generally speaking, is there a preference?

Thanks for reading.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of canton0983 canton0983

@noble11 wrote
Hi everyone, does anyone know if which business program, either Queens or Ivey, better prepares one for pursuing an MBA afterwards, either at a Canadian University or a more well known U.S. university, such as Harvard or Wharton?

I am specifically interested in knowning which program better prepares one, content wise, to succeed while taking an MBA, and which program it would be "easier" to get good grades, in order to get into a good MBA program afterwards.

When I was at my Queen's campus tour, my tour guide, a 2nd year commerce student, said that the Queens program very much pushes people in trying to obtain an MBA afterwards, as some of the content taught in QC is repeated during an MBA degree.

So, if one were to choose Ivey or Queens, which would be better for pursuing an MBA afterwards? I know a lot has to do with how hard one works and whatnot, but generally speaking, is there a preference?

Thanks for reading.

Basically, no difference. People on this forum tend to overrate undergraduate marks/school in MBA admissions. In truth, what they look for is - work experience, GMAT, volunteer/extra-curricular/leadership experience. Undergrad marks, and institution are most definitely not as important factors - and the difference between Queen's and Ivey, two schools that are well-known in Canada and the States, will end up being negligible.

The average entering age of Harvard Business School is 27, so on average you will have 5 or 6 years worth of work experience, which will count more than your undergraduate marks/institution.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@BSchoolMaster wrote

@noble11 wrote

Thanks for reading.

Of course an undergraduate business program overlaps with an MBA... MBA was designed to accompany people with ZERO business knowledge.

There is no "preference". Also, Ivey is curved to 81, while QC's average tends to be around 75~78.

QC, or any other undergraduate program for that matter, does not "push" its students into an MBA....

BTW, McGill by far has the highest Canadian enrolment at Wharton.

Your inbox is full. I didn't know anywhere else to put this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BSchoolMaster BSchoolMaster
ok i cleared some messages
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
In terms of an MBA/graduate school itself, is Queen's better than Ivey...?
Was this helpful? Yes 0