yconic - Queen's Bcomm vs Laurier BBA vs McMaster Bcomm / Queen's Tuition
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's Bcomm vs Laurier BBA vs McMaster Bcomm / Queen's Tuition

A photo of HamzaM HamzaM
Hey,

I am currently a grade 12 student. I want to become a lawyer but I would like to do my undergrad in business so that I have a good back-up plan in case I don't get into law school. I am trying to decide between Queen's, Laurier and McMaster.

Queen's and Laurier are my top two choices and McMaster is the back up plan.

I'm wondering which university will be easier to have a high GPA for law school? And also, is the 13k/year tuition for Queen's really worth it (especially considering i might have to come up with money for law school as well?)

Lastly, my marks so far are:
Adv Functions: 90
Eng: 87
Law: 90
French: 96

Next semester I have Calculus (which i expect around 87), Accounting (around 92-94) and Economics (89-91). Which programs would be realistic for me to apply to?

Thanks in advanced
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of aeryn aeryn
All three are realistic choices. At this point, your admission into Queen's Commerce is based heavily on your PSE. Whether the tuition is worth it or not depends on how heavily you value school spirit/atmosphere/residence life.

If you're looking for a great solid business background that's very affordable, might I suggest Schulich? :p

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HamzaM HamzaM
What's the PSE usually about? Extra-curricular activities?
I actually went to Queen's to visit the university and I loved it, especially the business building and the main library. However, I still don't understand why it's worth 13k.

I thought about Schulich, but i believe my marks aren't good enough?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of scollyhunter scollyhunter
Laurier BBA, handsdown, best business school around and it costs half the money! It really makes no sense to pay double for Queen's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs

@scollyhunter wrote
It really makes no sense to pay double for Queen's.

It does make sense because you get double the opportunities...

Queen's also has really good financial aid, since every one here is rich and doesn't need assistance they can provide it to those who do.

Btw you Laurier kids need to stop thinking your programs so great lol, recruiters still joke about it
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gymmonkey Gymmonkey

@goldmansachs wrote

@scollyhunter wrote
It really makes no sense to pay double for Queen's.

It does make sense because you get double the opportunities...

Queen's also has really good financial aid, since every one here is rich and doesn't need assistance they can provide it to those who do.

Btw you Laurier kids need to stop thinking your programs so great lol, recruiters still joke about it

You mean all of the recruiters that show up for Laurier's co-op program? If you get co-op at Laurier there is no way that you get "double" the opportunities out of Queens. The first semeseter is just finishing up and I already have an internship at a Big 4 firm and I know a ton people who are already breaking into IB.

Take a quick read at some of the resumes from QC kids, two thirds of them make me laugh.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

LOL Big 4......................
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote
LOL Big 4......................

I think we should continue the conversation once you've actually completed a year of school. Having the name goldmansachs doesnt mean you're a banker. Let me know where you are employed on your 20th birthday, I'm interested.

It was a tough decision to turn QC down honestly, but having great work experience before graduation was important to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Actually you're right, Laurier is a pretty strong accounting school. Although you would get a guaranteed placement at a Big 4 with Queen's, the ROI is probably greater at Schulich and Laurier.

I'll give credit where its due. But other than that...

You say IB placements? I think those are the kids that are doing a double degree at Waterloo in Math/CS...not just Laurier BBA students. How many Laurier BBA students actually get IBD placements in the Big 5 banks? Bulge brackets?

Congratulations on your job offer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote
Actually you're right, Laurier is a pretty strong accounting school. Although you would get a guaranteed placement at a Big 4 with Queen's, the ROI is probably greater at Schulich and Laurier.

I'll give credit where its due. But other than that...

You say IB placements? I think those are the kids that are doing a double degree at Waterloo in Math/CS...not just Laurier BBA students. How many Laurier BBA students actually get IBD placements in the Big 5 banks? Bulge brackets?

Congratulations on your job offer.

From what I have seen, BBA students can land placements in the Big 5 Banks, but BB is pretty much locked up with double degree students. Which is fair since their workload is crazy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Buzz Buzz
Not all Queen's students have that same attitude. I was accepted at the 3 schools I applied at and chose Queen's due to the size and feel. I think the Laurier co-op program is awesome for experience and jobs but it just wasn't where I wanted to go. I have two relatives however that went there years ago and went on to fabulous jobs: international investment banking, and international marketing, both living in Europe. I think there are several good business schools in Canada, each providing different opportunities and in the end it should be the size and location that you are happy with, and then it is the person you are that will brand your success.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jamison Jamison
I have to admit, CA firms love laurier. I worked as an Accounts Payable Associate and the CA intern coming to the company where all from laurier. I'm a western student loving it but Laurier is top notch. Queens is a strong school for science , biology, chemistry etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@goldmansachs wrote
Although you would get a guaranteed placement at a Big 4 with Queen's

Come on goldman, you're better than that. Complete BS and you know it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Buzz Buzz
Don't get me wrong, I did chose Queen's due to its excellent reputation and recruitment, and that you enter it right away (unlike Western) but for Ontario; Western, and Laurier (and probably others) all have very good reputations with the business people I have spoken with, and students seem to like all those programs. Choose the type of program (co-op, 2 + 2, 4 years direct) the town and the size of the university that you want. Go have tours. Part of the increased Queen's cost (more than other Queen's programs) is the size of the classes and the quality of the facilities and support (technical, study, emotional etc.) available. One friend,an MBA prof. at an Ontario university told me that the difference between Queen's for example and his program is that with the larger no. of business students (a couple thousand) at his university you would have to be in the top 1 % to have good recruitment and in some of the other schools like Queen's it is so hard to get in, and the academic percentage so high (at least on admittance) that the recruitment is much more pervasive and aggressive. There were 5,000 applicants last year for the 450 places but it wasn't chosen just on marks. If you had a minimum of 87% your application would be looked at, and then the essays are marked.
Was this helpful? Yes 0