yconic - Queens BSC in Kines vs. Western BMSC
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queens BSC in Kines vs. Western BMSC

A photo of hassano hassano
Can anyone help a dazed and confused future med-school hopeful?
Im in this dilemma where i can see the good in both these programs and cannot decide.
Can anyone who knows of the Queens Kinesiology program tell me if it prepares you well enough for the MCAT (really want to take it September before 3rd year) and med-school cause I think that may sway me towards Queens.
Also can i take some of the basic science courses at sometime during my four years as electives in the Kinesiology course? Or will i not have the opportunity?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@hassano wrote
Can anyone help a dazed and confused future med-school hopeful?
Im in this dilemma where i can see the good in both these programs and cannot decide.
Can anyone who knows of the Queens Kinesiology program tell me if it prepares you well enough for the MCAT (really want to take it September before 3rd year) and med-school cause I think that may sway me towards Queens.
Also can i take some of the basic science courses at sometime during my four years as electives in the Kinesiology course? Or will i not have the opportunity?

I don't think any one program prepares you well for the MCAT. It's a mix of physics, chemistry, biology, English, and various social sciences - so unless you're program has many courses in those three it won't really prepare you well.

This chart shows how well people from specific majors do on the MCAT if you're interesting in which ones might prepare you best: http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/reports/mcat2009.pdf
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Prepping for the MCAT is pretty simple, and it's basically the same regardless of your background. You study MCAT prep guides, possibly take a MCAT prep course. It's all pretty basic stuff, and you should study it till it becomes second nature anyways, so taking advanced courses in the subjects covered in the MCAT does not necessarily give you an edge.

One interpretation of the data JNBirDy posted is that those majors prep you best for the MCAT; another plausible interpretation is that people who take certain majors are better at certain things and/or are smarter. If you're not good with verbal reasoning (i.e. reading passages of text to come to an understanding of the message carried by the text), then you're probably not going to major in English. As a result, very few English majors are going to have poor verbal reasoning skills. It makes sense, then, that English majors do well on the verbal reasoning section of the MCAT. Or it could be that constantly analyzing texts, like English majors do, improves your verbal reasoning ability. Or, more likely, it's some combination of the two. You can't tell from those data alone.

Also, I'm not totally sure that what Respects is saying is true. Kinesiology majors tend to take the same biology and chemistry courses that life sci students take. This may not be the case at all schools, but, even then, the kines bio and chem courses are still probably accepted by med schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hassano hassano
thanks for the responses guys, they've been real helpful !
Was this helpful? Yes 0