yconic - Queen's Chancellor's Scholarship 2017/18!!
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's Chancellor's Scholarship 2017/18!!

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey so I was looking around for one of these updated threads but couldn't seem to find one so I thought I'd make one! Just thought of making this as an update thread on applications/acceptances. 

EDIT: Got a request to change this to a Queen's Commerce Thread lol there do seem to be a lot of people here for commerce
Was this helpful? Yes 2
980 replies

I applied on November 6th and got the application acknowledgement email 1 week later. You should be fine. Deadline is December 1st to submit the application so make sure you do the practice application posted so that you can just transfer your answers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

On the website it said the 15th was the deadline I think but I applied, haven't been told if I've been nominated but haven't gotten any email from Queen's yet....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does the school have to tell you that you got nominated before you get a SOLUS email?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

After you apply to Queens, as part of their acknowledgement email they'll give you your student number which gives you access to their student centre. SOLUS is just a part of the student centre so you can access it anytime after you get your acknowledgement email. The chancellor's application is on SOLUS and I would however, wait to fill it out until after your school tells you if you're nominated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How long does it usually take for the acknowledgement email?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I got it about 1 week after applying. That's why they say to apply by November 15th. Deadline is December 1st, but if you apply by November 15th, you'll have time to receive the email.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have not gotten an email from Queen's after applying..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I haven't either (I applied on the 16th). I don't think we should worry yet tho lool
Was this helpful? Yes 0

great lol

Was this helpful? Yes 0

What is everyone applying to? I'm hoping to get into Commerce!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Same, I'm applying to commerce
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Same....but I was at the Fall Preview today and they accept only 475 students when they receive over 7000 applications!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm pretty sure most of us have a REALLY good chance since we are Chancellor nominees!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Same, going for commerce.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm applying to nursing! Any other nominees going for nursing?

Good luck to everyone!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

COMMERCE!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Commerce!! Hoping the chancellor's nomination increases everyone's chances!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey, I keep hearing that rejection from Queen's Commerce as a Chancellor's nomenee is almost unheard of. Is this true? Have any of you heard of someone getting rejected from QC with the nomination?
Thanks!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Unless there are some major red flags, or if ur essays are complete crap, I doubt they would deny a chancellors nominee.....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yup! Actually, I was a Chancellor nominee myself, and I got early acceptance, I think around December/January, which was really nice. I've talked to some other people in Commerce too, and there definitely seems to be a pattern of Chancellor nominees getting accepted. In fact, I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that getting a Chancellor's nomination almost guarantees Commerce acceptance, since to get the nomination you need a 90%+ average (so you've already passed the Commerce cutoff) and you need to have proven leadership qualities and have people at your high school support you (therefore, you'll probably have a good reference). So I'd say if you're trying to get into QC, definitely try to get nominated for Chancellor's! Even if you don't end up getting the scholarship, it will increase your chances of getting into the program :) Another perk which I enjoyed was that if you fill out a Chancellor's app, you don' t need to write a PSE.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Have you guys written your essays yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Not yet, planning on starting them tomorrow.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I had to have my application complete to even be considered for the nomination. I'm awaiting a response from guidance. I will find out if I get it on Monday. 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Same, I had to complete the application in order to be nominated (which I was)!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What school are you from?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You've never heard of it unless you're from the Ottawa area. Most kids on yconic are from the GTA it seems.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have to complete my essays too by Dec 1 (the normal due date) THEN hand it in to my guidance dept, then they will nominate people. Which is kinda annoying cause I'm doing all this work possibly not resulting in a nomination... :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ahaha! I felt like that too! Just work really hard on those essays --- you won't regret it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does commerce require an interview as part of the admission process or is it just the essays.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No interviews are required to get admission into commerce. Only essays (and a creative component if you are applying through the Chancellor's application.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You just saved my life, I thought there was an interview because other schools had interviews as part of their supplementary application.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey no worries! A lot of commerce programs require one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

105D applicant here. If I were to apply for the Chancellor's scholarship, when should I expect an admissions decision? And if I don't apply for it, when should I expect an admissions decision? I've already submitted everything expect applied for the Chancellor's scholarship.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If you are a nominee, acceptances will usually be around December - February. Normal acceptances could be anytime after!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Are we suppose to physically mail our application to Queens? Or is all online through SOLUS?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i'm pretty sure its all online
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Its all through SOLUS. Once you log in, you can submit your application through the Major Admissions Awards section.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Anyone have any ideas for the original/creative thinking section?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A lot of people use writing as their original/creative section.....so I would try to stay away from that. Express it visually somehow!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The generic options would be a artwork, a written piece, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I composed a piece for piano, I thought it would be unique :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you need to do the commerce supplementary in one sitting or can you save and go on whenever before submitting the final drafts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I haven't even got access to my SOLUS account yet. I have all my essays in a separate document so I can just copy and paste.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I just got access to my SOLUS (i applied on nov14) but ya you can go on in different sittings
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Hey Nominees! What are your EC's and Grade 11 grades?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I had around a 93 with decent ec's.....what about you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

around a 97 average and my EC's are alright
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does the commerce supplementary have a time limit? It says the PSE will time out after 20 minutes so does that mean it must be written within that time frame?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Would it matter if I had the same answers for both my Chancellor's application and Commerce supplementary? Or should they be different?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You don't need to do both. If you are a nominee, you only have to complete the chancellors application....
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Um excuse me, but you do need to do both. If you're a nominee then you don't need to do the mandatory PSE for commerce students. However, there's an additional supplementary essay application commerce students do and that must still be filled out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Um excuse me......"PSE: Students nominated for a Chancellor's Scholarship are not required to complete a Personal Statement of Experience (PSE)/Supplemental Essay for admission purposes. "
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Altogether, there's the Chancellor's application, Queen's PSE, and Commerce Supplementary. If you're a chancellors, I thought you just didn't need to do the Queen's general PSE. The Commerce supplementary still needs to be completed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do Commerce applicants need to do the supplementary essays?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I thought we didn't need to do the Queen's general PSE, but still had to do the Commerce supplementary. However, some people are saying otherwise so I'm not even sure anymore lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Nope, you don't have to do either (this is according to the application information and the admissions office -- who I called)
Was this helpful? Yes 3

Thanks for clarifying that!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

SERIOUSLY?? That's really good. I don't believe you though. I will call them myself.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

"Students who have been nominated for the Chancellor's Scholarship do not need to submit a PSE or Supplemental Essay. Students who have applied for other Major Admission Awards, excluding the Chancellor's, must still submit a PSE and Supplemental Essay (if applicable)" this is right off the website.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It's true. I thought the same as you, but it says directly on their website that we don't have to do the PSE or supplementary applications.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Good morning, Thank you for your interest in the Commerce Program at Smith School of Business. Students who have been nominated for the Chancellor’s Scholarship do not need to submit the PSE or supplemental essays. If you have any additional questions about the application process or admission requirements, please contact the Undergraduate Admission office. admission@queensu.ca 613-533-2218 http://www.queensu.ca/admission/ Regards, Commerce Program Smith School of Business Queen’s University Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 3N6 (613) 533-2301 commerce@queensu.ca
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey Guys!

On the application for extra curricular, how do you indicate that you are still presently doing the activity? Would you say up to 2018? 

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

From (Insert Start Date) - Present
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

So currently I have a 95 plus average, which according to queens, I will be awarded the principal scholarship automatically. Do these marks automatically update once we submit the application? For example, if we gain acceptance in early January, will those marks I submitted in November be the same marks that they are looking at?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

All automatic admission awards are awarded based on the average you were accepted into your program with.  As a chancellor's nominee (who will be receiving admission in December or January), Queen's will make their decision based on your mid-terms (if they are available) and your top grade 11 grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I do not have semesters in my school, and thus, I will only be sending my current marks of 95+. If I receive admission in January, will I be awarded the principal scholarship?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes, you will receive the Principals, however, they will be based on your grade 11 grades or whatever is available at the time you are accepted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If I have a grade 11 average of below 95, but a first term gr 12 average above 95 would I receive the principal scholarship automatically? Or would I receive the one that is awarded to 90+?
My school is in terms instead of semesters, so I'll have official first term marks by the time I submit my chancellor application.

Any info would be great! 
Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Not the op, but how do you they are based on grade 11 and 12 marks? According to the website, it only says grade 12 marks.....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It would make more sense if acceptance was based on grade 11/12 marks, however, I believe the principal scholarship will only be based on grade 12. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

All entrance scholarships are based on your final grades, not term 1 grades!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does anybody know how much grades 9 grades are factored into the decision? Are grade 9 grades looked at as equally as 10, 11 and grade 12 mid-terms? I had a rough transition into high school and had a 73% average my first year. However, my cumulative from 10-12 was ~97%. I barely got the nomination as I have exactly a 90% average throughout high school due to grade 9. My essays, awards, letter of recommendation and creative component are strong otherwise, and are why I got the nomination.

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

With the cumulative 90% average, I thought that meant having a 90+ average each of the 4 years?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Before completing the MAA section in SOLUS, it says you need a 90% cumulative average to be competitive. Nowhere does it say you need a 90% during each year of high school on the Queen's website. I don't know where this rumor comes from. I think some high schools just require that you have 90's during all 4 years for them to nominate you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think if you are not semerstered, and have enough courses to calculate a top 6 average, they will not look at grade 11 marks for the principal scholarship.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hello, 

I am a nominee and my application has already been submitted and stuff. I submitted my application on Nov 11th and got nominated on the 15th (I got an email from queens that was just like your nomination has been received from Queens). However, when I click on the "view award application status" tab, it says "You currently do not have any Award Applications available for viewing online." I am just wondering if anyone else is seeing this, but I do realize I did everything really early. I am not too concerned though as Queens have already acknowledged they have received my nominated application, just seeing if anyone is in a similar situation.... 

Thanks and good luck!  
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How do you indicate that you were nominated?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

You don't decide, of course, your school does and they nominate you. Go and talk to you guidence but u are really late to just mention it to your school now........
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm from alberta. Why are grade 9 marks even relevant?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Good Question! I imagine they just want to see that you have a strong academic track record and did not just pull yourself together in grade 12. I really messed up grade 9 academically, however, I did make up for it and have a cumulative average of 90% at this point.

As long as your cumulative average is 90% or above, you are still in the race for the scholarship. It does not matter if one year you were below this, as long as you pulled it up in other years.
Was this helpful? Yes 0