yconic - QUEEN'S COMM or LAURIER BBA/FINMATH
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

QUEEN'S COMM or LAURIER BBA/FINMATH

A photo of whysocurious whysocurious
So i just got accepted to queen's commerce and I am debating whether I should accept that offer or stay with my Laurier BBA & financial math double degree (co-op)

THOUGHTS???????????????

Was this helpful? Yes 0
40 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Congrats!
I'm sure by now you know the positives and negatives of the 2 programs.
There have been others in the same position and some chose Queens while others chose Laurier.http://forums.studentawards.com/yaf_postst23889_QUEENS-COMMERCE-VS-LAURIER-BBA-AND-FINANCIAL-MATH-DOUBLE-DEGREE.aspx
It's all down to you and which school you like most.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of whysocurious whysocurious
thanks man!! I just don't know if Laurier's co-op outweighs Queen's Commerce's name & the amount of big companies that recruit there. Also I'm more into IB, consulting & finance than marketing and accounting..AHHHHHHHHHH
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Congrats! Depends on what plans you have for the future, but I'm secretly going to hope you come to QC
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@whysocurious wrote
thanks man!! I just don't know if Laurier's co-op outweighs Queen's Commerce's name & the amount of big companies that recruit there. Also I'm more into IB, consulting & finance than marketing and accounting..AHHHHHHHHHH

Guaranteed Co-op is great!! but the BA in financial Math is very specialized.
It will not help you if you want to head into Consulting. If you are looking at Financial Engineering or Quantitative Finance then it will be useful.
You could always drop down to just the BBA if you choose Laurier and feel like the Financial Math is not worth it. Make sure you are interested in Financial Math and are willing to work hard with the DD.

Queens on the other hand may suit you more as you still want to look at all your options. The DD may turn out to be a waste of time and effort if you feel like the Financial Math will not be useful with the career you are heading towards.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I can't speak for Laurier's DD and I don't know how good the recruitment is there but I do know that if you want to do finance specifically investment banking or consulting QC is a solid choice because of their extensive alumni in those industries. Every year they get some BBs hiring, MBB comes and of course the big 5 banks. Personally I chose Queen's because they do very well in every business stream, like I know as of right now I would like to do finance but in case I change my mind and say I want to go into accounting/marketing, I would still have solid opportunities at QC. And don't worry about the co-op, I know the co-op is sweet but honestly I'm seeing many motivated QC students getting internships after their second year which is very possible. With the networking opportunities available at Queen's, someone very motivated will have no problem getting an internship. From what I see on linkedin and from current Laurier students, they don't get the same caliber of recruiters in finance as QC does, specifically for consulting and investment banking.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@whysocurious

Everything said here is a valid point. Laurier's co-op would be really nice but again, I don't know how that would compare to Queen's Commerce. That's a tough decision. Didn't you have to respond by June 2??

And in regards to you signature...and this...if Bieber gets into Ivey and not me....I'm gonna be so pissed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote
if Bieber gets into Ivey and not me....I'm gonna be so pissed.

LOL he's guaranteed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QC2015 QC2015
Queens Commerce 2015!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote

@Username81 wrote

LOL he's guaranteed.

I know that's what's stupid. His avearge is probably like 80 tops (really, who can do all he does and do really well in school?) and he'd get in because he's "Justin Bieber". Meanwhile my 93 didn't suffice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

@goldmansachs wrote

@Username81 wrote

LOL he's guaranteed.

I know that's what's stupid. His avearge is probably like 80 tops (really, who can do all he does and do really well in school?) and he'd get in because he's "Justin Bieber". Meanwhile my 93 didn't suffice.

His teachers probably just hand him 90s and 100s. Who would want to get yelled at for giving Justin Bieber poor marks. They'd probably complain (JB, family, agents, etc.) and little girls would send the teacher(s) death threats.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@goldmansachs wrote

@Username81 wrote

LOL he's guaranteed.

His teachers probably just hand him 90s and 100s. Who would want to get yelled at for giving Justin Bieber poor marks. They'd probably complain (JB, family, agents, etc.) and little girls would send the teacher(s) death threats.

And I suppose maintaining that cumulative 80% average in university to keep AEO would be no problem too, as what you just said would probably continue in university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of axiom2true axiom2true

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@goldmansachs wrote

@Username81 wrote

LOL he's guaranteed.

Bieber's got "decent" ECs though, haha.

I honestly don't see why he'd ever go to university (for academic pursuits)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@whysocurious wrote
So i just got accepted to queen's commerce and I am debating whether I should accept that offer or stay with my Laurier BBA & financial math double degree (co-op)

THOUGHTS???????????????

I am in the same position, but it is Ivey HBA vs. Queens Commerce.

Regardless, I think I am sticking with Ivey :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BBA14 BBA14

@goldmansachs wrote
. From what I see on linkedin and from current Laurier students, they don't get the same caliber of recruiters in finance as QC does, specifically for consulting and investment banking.

http://business.queensu.ca/recruiting/student_resumes/bcom/index3.php

These are the resumes of the upcoming 4th years in QC. Take a look at the "Finance" and "Investment Banking" resumes from A-G. I can say with confidence that I have better professional experience after year 1 than 80% of these students. It's all about the individual, there are lazy kids at Queen's, Laurier and any other top biz school who don't take summer internships seriously. So, I wouldn't say from the sample you saw on linkedin that Laurier has worse recruiters. Some of these resumes are frankly embarassing (but I'm not saying Laurier doesn't have students like this too).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@BBA14 wrote

@goldmansachs wrote
. From what I see on linkedin and from current Laurier students, they don't get the same caliber of recruiters in finance as QC does, specifically for consulting and investment banking.

These are the resumes of the upcoming 4th years in QC. Take a look at the "Finance" and "Investment Banking" resumes from A-G. I can say with confidence that I have better professional experience after year 1 than 80% of these students. It's all about the individual, there are lazy kids at Queen's, Laurier and any other top biz school who don't take summer internships seriously. So, I wouldn't say from the sample you saw on linkedin that Laurier has worse recruiters. Some of these resumes are frankly embarassing (but I'm not saying Laurier doesn't have students like this too).

Thanks for the link. I was looking at the accounting jobs people were getting (3rd and 4th years) and there were some pretty bad ones.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of axiom2true axiom2true

@g93 wrote

@BBA14 wrote

@goldmansachs wrote

Thanks for the link. I was looking at the accounting jobs people were getting (3rd and 4th years) and there were some pretty bad ones.

Although I'm not certain on this, I've heard that a lot of students do not list their resumes on there. For example, some students list their class rank and you can see that there are only ~3 of the top 15 on there.

I'll be taking summer internships seriously, as I'm sure many on this forum will. Keeners unite! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@axiom2true wrote

@g93 wrote

@BBA14 wrote

@goldmansachs wrote

Although I'm not certain on this, I've heard that a lot of students do not list their resumes on there. For example, some students list their class rank and you can see that there are only ~3 of the top 15 on there.

I'll be taking summer internships seriously, as I'm sure many on this forum will. Keeners unite! :cheers:

That's what I was thinking. There seemed to be too few people. Investment banking, for example, there were only 2-3 people with what seemed like really good jobs, when in reality there are more QC students with Wall/Bay Street jobs.

This forum definitely has many people who will be successful.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of yyang389 yyang389
I see that you've posted this june 7...but wasn't the deadline on june 2?

Because I kinda want to switch my acceptance from bmos/ivey to qcomm right now but the qcomm offer on ouac has already expired

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca
many ppl want to break into ibanking when ther goin into first yr bschools, but gradually a lot of them realize ibanking isnt for them ...

as u can see from the queens resume book, only a few ppl (around 10) post resumes for ibanking, and from what i know four out of these landed summer internships at BB, which is pretty good actually .. and of corz some didnt list their resumes for some reasons

frankly some of those resumes are embarrasing, but hey u cant expect everyone to get good jobs.. after looking through many of these resumes i saw a decent amount of ppl got some solid jobs there.. (Deloitte, KPMG, PwC .....)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@GoBarca wrote
many ppl want to break into ibanking when ther goin into first yr bschools, but gradually a lot of them realize ibanking isnt for them ...

+1

The amount of people who want ibank drastically decreases after a while. Problem is, best way to get the high finance jobs with better hours on the buyside (HF, PE, VC) is still to start in IBD ...

One of the reasons why I didn't choose Ivey and chose for a more technical undergrad. I do regret not applying to QC though; it's a solid business program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I've been reading those resumes since like January, and I've found most of them to be pretty impressive. Why are you guys looking at Class of 2012 though, those resumes haven't updated. Most of the third years have found their summer internships after they have posted them up. For instance if you search function Robert Hoy in the class of 2012 (I know him personally), it says he worked with Deloitte but for this summer he landed an internship with BCG. Take a look at the Class of 2011 ones.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BBA14 wrote

So, I wouldn't say from the sample you saw on linkedin that Laurier has worse recruiters. Some of these resumes are frankly embarassing (but I'm not saying Laurier doesn't have students like this too).

What's your point, I don't understand? I'm not saying Laurier has crappy recruiters in the field of finance, I have a great deal of respect for the school but it's general knowledge that Queen's Commerce gets better recruiting in finance. That list that you saw, none of the resumes were updated to their recent summer internships.

A couple of notable third year IBD interships:

Katie Hayes - GS, NY
Mohammed Gulam - CIBC, TO
Nikhil Wadhwa - GS, NY
Patrick Brown - MS, NY
Daniel Hertz - GS, NY
Seth Rosenberg - GS, NY
Conor O'Kelly - TD, TO

For a bank like GS giving a Canadian school in the middle of nowhere, that kind of attention says something about Queen's. Hopefully their recruitment improves in the next few years to expand to much more than just GS like Ivey does.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
Problem is, best way to get the high finance jobs with better hours on the buyside (HF, PE, VC) is still to start in IBD ...

What do HF, PE, and VC stand for?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

@immaculatedx wrote
Problem is, best way to get the high finance jobs with better hours on the buyside (HF, PE, VC) is still to start in IBD ...

What do HF, PE, and VC stand for?

Hedge funds,, private equity and venture capital.
Was this helpful? Yes 0