yconic - QUEEN'S COMMERCE 2018 ACCEPTANCES
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

QUEEN'S COMMERCE 2018 ACCEPTANCES

Hey guys, university applications to Queen's Commerce has just begun!  

Please post about the following :  
-Projected grade 12 average  
-grade 11 average  
-EC'S  
-Date of admission when available
-Other universities of interest  

About Myself...  
-Projected grade 12 average 93.5%-95%  
-Grade 11 average 93% ( included 3 grade 12 courses, economics (94%), business leadership (97%), grade 12 english (88%))  
-EC'S: Deca, president of accounting and financial management club, president of investment club, coach for school tennis team, coach for school baseball team, badminton team, ultimate frisbee team (fall and spring seasons), part time job as a tennis stuart, weekly childcare worker at my church.  
-Also interested in Waterloo AFM, Laurier BBA, Ivey, Rotman, Telfer, Sprott  

Good luck to all! Hope to see you next year!
Was this helpful? Yes 1
68 replies

Projected Grade 12 Average: 91-93
Grade 11 Average: 91
ECs: President of my school's DECA Team, President of a community volunteering organization, Co-President of my school's FBLA Club, Taekwon-Do Black Belt, Taekwon-Do Instructor at my club (I conduct classes in the club), school soccer team since Grade 9, worked as a Kumon Instructor for a year, executive member of another volunteering club, played Rep. Soccer.
Other universities of interest: Western IVEY, Rotman, Schulich, Laurier

My marks could be better, but I hope I can get into IVEY and Queen's with my EC's. 

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey,
I think you have a great chance of being accepted as your marks and ECs are great! Are you a chancellor nominee? Good luck with your application and hope to see you next year! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Projected Grade 12 Average: 95 Grade 11 Average: 91 ECs: President of my school's DECA Team, President of a community volunteering organization, Co-President of my school's FBLA Club,school soccer team since Grade 9, worked as a Kumon Instructor for a year, executive member of another volunteering club, played Rep. Soccer. Other universities of interest: Western IVEY, Rotman, Schulich, Laurier
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey,
I think you have a decent chance of being accepted! Good luck at DECA provincials:) I hope your application process runs smoothly and hope to see you next year! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

lemme guess, you are all chancellor nominees like everyone else on this forum.....
Was this helpful? Yes 2

No, my school did it based off averages and this kid with a 97 avg and a few ecs got the nomination
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I am not a chancellor's nominee.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Has Queen's actually started sending out offers for commerce already? I thought we wouldn't start hearing back for like another week at the earliest.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Depends if you are a Chancellor nominee or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Even as a Chancellor's Nominee, I heard the dates December 18 and 20 being thrown around as the earliest acceptance dates. However, every year does vary so I guess they may have started early this year.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Yeah, only two people have reported thus far being accepted. So even the vast majority of Chancellor's nominees have yet to be accepted this year up until this point.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Projected grade 12 average: 92-95% (Haven't taken Calculus yet, so this is just an estimation)
Grade 11 average: 89% (I took a bunch of grade 11 courses in grades 9 and 10 in addition to grade 11)
EC's: Martial arts (brown belts in two martial arts, junior instructor status), Reach for the Top (team member or regional and provincial tier teams for 4 years, captain for 2 years), Scuba Diving (Open water diver currently pursuing Advanced Open Water Diver, Enriched Air Nitrox certifications. Studied biology in a South American marine sciences institute last spring), Model UN for 3 years, Science Olympics (4 years, team member and captain of provincial-tier award winning teams)
Volunteering/Work: Hospital volunteer, Amnesty International volunteer advocate, Head of Canadian representatives and campaign coordinator for a North American mental health charity, tutored student with a learning disability through a community LD association for 3 years, and worked with children throughout the autism spectrum at a summer camp for 2 years.
Awards: National 2nd Place in writing competition, team captain of provincial first place team in a Science Olympics competition, Reach for the Top (regional 2nd place and Ontario top 10 team), Academic award for average over 90% (they only let me list one year so I put 2016), school citizenship award for helping with school food services and lower school activities.

Non-Chancellors nominee. 
Ontario student. 
Essays have been read over by several people, gotten really positive feedback about them so I'm feeling optimistic! 
Hoping that my lack of business-related activities won't be too much of a problem, my school doesn't have DECA, FBLA or many of the opportunities a lot of schools have (I live and go to school in a fairly rural area). I did try my best at whatever we did have though, so I hope that's enough! 
Do you guys think I have any hope to get in? I'm so in love with this program, it sounds incredible! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Best of luck to all! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If you are not a Chancellor nominee, there is a lot of luck in getting an acceptance letter. Your essays are what matters most, however, and it seems like they are very well written! I would say you have a pretty good chance!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I was a Chancellor's Nominee and my EC's were nowhere near as good as yours. I see a large variety of things you've been involved with and if your essays were well written, then you definitely have a great chance of getting in. The fact that you're not a Nominee won't hurt you too much. I don't know who started saying that you have to be a Nominee to get in. It helps, but doesn't guarantee an acceptance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think you have an awesome chance of being accepted. Your ECs and grades are excellent! Hope to see you next year!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Hoping to get it in, but I hear its super hard, not a chancellors nominee but hopefully that's not a big deal

-Projected grade 12 : 93  
average -grade 11 average 93
-EC'S:  4 month Exchange student to South America, Church volunteer and summer intern, competitive kitesurfer and also certified instructor, member of athletic and global committees, Science center volunteer and science/math award winner and junior achievement VP and CPR and first aid training

just finishing my essays and I think they're good so I'm feeling good about it. What do you guys think?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

It so unpredicatable nobody can guess. Highly qualified people have been rejected. Best bet is to continue critiquing your essay; you might thing they are well written, but the admissions committee may not.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

All I can say is good luck! You are a strong applicant; however, admissions are so competitive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah you're definitely right, thanks a lot
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Hi guys, so basically my question was that for the supplemental essay and PSE, do we have to write a multiple paragraph structure, or can it be 1 paragraph?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It's up to you mate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does anyone know when admissions will start rolling out?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

End of February for regular applicants
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi guys, so basically my question was that for the supplemental essay and PSE, do we have to write a multiple paragraph structure, or can it be 1 paragraph?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It's up to you bud
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Projected grade 12 grade: 94-95%
Grade 11: 91%
Still waiting for a response from Queens soon as the school opens up again on Monday...
Chancellors nominee 
As a chancellors, I don't have to do the PSE and SE correct? Yet they are still both on my To Do list on Solus. Can anyone help me out with this? 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Apparently ALL COMMERCE APPLICANTS will recieve acceptances in late February at the earliest.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Where did you hear that?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Not the OP, but I would also agree that is a good bet. No acceptances have been given out, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did do that....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay, I was the one on the Chancellor's thread that suggested Queen's Admissions might wait to give acceptances to Chancellor's and regular applicants at the same time. However, this was just me own personal guess and is in no way a definitive fact. I hope we can hear as early as next week, but only the admissions office really knows. As for the To Do list, mine is still the same as well. Some people have said that theirs has changed, but for most it's still the same. I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

When is the earliest for regular applicants to hear back?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I mean, Chancellor's Nominees haven't even heard back yet so I'm assuming the earliest for regular applicants is at least after first semester marks are in. Possibly early-mid February
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Projected average- 90
105 applicant, Founder and president of a Deca club (first one outside of Ontario), Basketball Coach for 2 years, Interned at a Drone company, Manage my own bussiness that resells clothing and have helped facilate over 2500 dollars worth of goods.
Not a Chancellors Nominee.
How are my chances?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

With Queen's it's random
Was this helpful? Yes 0

but what do you think
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It depends on how you can sell yourself in your essays. EC's alone are never enough to be able to determine an applicant's qualifications. It's all about how you present them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ivey capitalizes on the extent of your EC's and what you did during your participation. Queens capitalizes on your personality and what you have learned from your experiences.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That fair

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Your average and Ec's are pretty good. Good luck with your acceptance as it is indeed very random.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is it a disadvantage to apply closer to the deadline? (i.e. Early february)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I was told to expectt to hear by third week of January.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

From who?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

And are you a Chancellor nominee?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Not a chancellors nominee but have some connections.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is your comment in relation to Chancellor nominees or only regular applicants?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I was just told early admissions to commerce will happen by the third week in January.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does applying later lower chances of getting in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I mean, there's obviously going to be fewer spots left.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I guess, Queens seems to send decisions earlier. Ivey starts in march which i guess gives them time to send decisions to applicants regardless of when they applied (as long as its before the deadline)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Wait, so a bunch of people are saying here that all Commerce applicants will hear back by end of either January or February, does anyone know how true any of these claims are? (ie. has anyone had these confirmed by admissions?) I'm just a bit nervous because I just submitted my essays and PSE today (wanted to take the winter break to write and edit the best that I could) so it's quite late compared to many others and I'm not sure if that will affect my chances or the date I hear back...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If you are not a Chancellor nominee, you will recieve admission after the submission deadline (feb 15).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes, you will hear back much later like Feb or March as the early admission deadline was Dec 1st so those applicants will hear back first
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks! Good to know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I hope some come out this week
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Me too lol:) Good luck mate!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

^that doesn't mean shitt. I got declined by QLEAD and I'm first year queens comm right now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Here is my profile:

Note: I applied as a Chancellor's nominee, so I did not do the PSE and SE.

Grade 11 (top 6): 97.3%

Grade 12 (Mid-terms): 98.7%

Projected Grade 12 (top 6): 99%

Extracurriculars:

1. Started my own video marketing business. Received a $3,000 Government of Ontario Business grant. I made ~$18,000 in revenue in my first year in business.

2. Lead the production of educational video material for my school board's Indigenous education program. APTN has asked to show one of our video projects through their online platforms.

3. Head goalie coach of a local recreational hockey program.

4. Assistant inventory manager of my family business.

5. Founder and president of my school's debate club.

I have others, but we could only list 5.

Essays:

1. Volunteerism: I wrote about my work directing educational material for my board's Indigenous education program, and how my work is now used to educate subsequent Native studies classes.

2. Leadership: I wrote about the challenges I faced starting my video marketing business. I also discussed what I have learned during my two years operating the business, and the responsibilities that come with every project I take on.

3. Creative component: I wrote about my final talk with my mentor 16 hours before she passed away and how she changed my life. I also discussed how she helped me through my 5-year battle with mental illness. I addition to this, I included a scanned pencil sketch of me holding her hand in the hospital.

Letter of recommendation: My letter of recommendation was written by an ex-CBC and Toronto Star reporter. She wrote about our work together on a documentary for a local women's shelter where I served as the cinematographer and assistant editor.

To-do list cleared: Yes

Other Universities of interest (Queen's my top pick, however): Ivey, McGill Desautels
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Wow! That is very impressive. I think you have a great shot in getting admitted.
Good luck! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hardest part is waiting...acceptance rates are really low and I’m not sure I have enough of a chance to make it, but I kind of just want to hear back with any kind of news, you know? Good or bad news, I just want to hear it. Best to rip the bandaid off quickly rather than have it taken off slowly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

IM SO NERVOUS! Even chancellors are having a tough time getting in this year!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

As a Chancellor's Nominee this year, I think the reason we haven't heard back yet is that Admissions is waiting for regular applicants to submit their stuff to make it fairer. The waiting is tough, but in the meanwhile, I'm just working on my other supplementary applications. Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

WHY ARE COMMERCE ACCEPTANCES COMING OUT??? Omfg
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Relax. They'll go out when they go out. I think Wednesdays are our best bet anyways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0