yconic - Queen's Commerce Elective Decisions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's Commerce Elective Decisions

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Compiled some student testimonials for certain electives, feel free to look at them to make your decision. Which one(s) are you leaning towards? Let's just discuss all of it here.

History 121

medium/hard. the readings are all long with convuted diction and antiquated sayings and phrases. it often takes a few readthroughs to get exactly what the writer is trying to say. as well, the lectures are not very interesting, and the powerpoint slides are really sparse. the exam was not terribly difficult but it took alot of preperation.
some of the readings and people are really interesting and it is fascinating to see the origins of a lot of our modern ideas and concepts. you can trace a lot of science, philosophy etc to the people we learn in the course and its interesting to see how it developed and such. also, rob moody is a great seminar instructor.
we spend way too much time muddling around in the middle ages with christian theologians who aren't that different from each other and who are not very interesting. the time we waste here would be better spent learning more about roman philosohpers and other elightened thinkers. that and the really sparse slides and boring lectures. its an interesting course but its really time consuming and at times can be incredibly dry

Classics129

super interesting course, and the concepts are not hard to grasp at all. There are no assignments, but there are 2 or 3 tests throughout the each semester and a final exam. The tests and exams are good because they are all in the exact same format, but if you don't know your stuff (and you won't if you don't go to the lectures) then you definitely won't do well. Also, I found that the marking was very subjective and that even if you did know your stuff inside and out then it was still entirely possible to get a mid-60.
The professor (B.Reeves) was awesome and she was super engaging and you could tell that she really enjoyed teaching. Hope that helps!

CompSci101

This is the first computing course I took, and as mentioned, if you have some experience, it should not be too difficult. Without any experience, it is still possible, but a little more difficult. The prof for this course varies depending on when you take it, but I have had 2 of the ones that normally teach it, and having heard from many others, this course is generally well liked by those interested in learning the skills of programming. (In this course you will be learning Python, it was Java when I took it, but has since changed)

Gender Studies120

was very easy and also if you're already interested in taking a WMNS course you'll probably find it very thought provoking! Going to the lectures aren't necessary becasue there's no exam, but I always went to them just becasue they introduced a lot of interesting issues. Also, the tutorials bring up good disscussion and I always wanted to go to them, opposed to feeling forced to because they're mandatory. Overall, cool course, easy marks, would def recommend it

Health 101

is the Social Determinants of Health - so you learn about how a peoples social situation effects their overall health, for example aboriginals and how impoverished many of their communities are in the north. There was a eight page report based on a book, and a few small writing assignments. You go to the lectures three times a week for about an hour. It was a great complement to the commerce workload as it did not take up too much time, and was rather interesting.

Health 102

is the Physical Determinants of Health - more about how the physical aspects of the world affect our health, like the location of doctors and what food is available in specific regions of the world. It did not have a final, rather three 20% in class tests, and two 20% projects.

POLS 110

(Intro to Politics & Government) – “An introduction to political science that provides both a framework for thinking about politics and the institutions of governance, and some of the vocabulary necessary for political analysis.”
• Very large classes
• Some students find first-year politics to be dry, but this course unlocks upper year politics classes which are known to be more interesting.

MATH 121

(Differential & Integral Calculus) – “Differentiation and integration of the elementary functions, with applications to physical and social sciences; Taylor polynomials; multivariable differential calculus.”
• Unlocks upper-year economics courses and some upper year mathematics courses
• A definite choice if you wish to pursue a dual degree in Economics

CLST 101

(Introduction to Greek and Roman Civilization) – “An introduction to major themes in the development of Greek and Roman civilization using the evidence of literature, history and archaeology. Some attention will be given to those aspects of ancient cultural and intellectual growth that are of significance in the western tradition.”
• Generally receives good reviews; a good choice if you’re good at memorizing and interested in ancient history
• Marking format is two tests, a midterm, and a final.

FILM 110

(Film, Culture and Communication) – “Introduction to analysis of film, television, advertising, and other, related forms of contemporary culture. Includes classical and contemporary Hollywood cinema, Canadian film and television, and alternatives in international cinema. Course requirements include both written work and elementary projects on videotape.”
• No final exam; students write four tests over the course of the year and are also marked on assignments/essays.
• Not considered a particularly difficult course

GPHY 101* (Human Geography) -

“The fundamentals of human geography including the meanings of place, the impacts of globalization, multiculturalism, population change and movement, environmental history and politics, cultural geography, issues of uneven resource distribution, the role of colonialism in the modern shape of the world, agricultural geography, and urban geography.”
• Generally, format is two short essays and an examination
• Widely recognized as an easier course
• Very important to go to lectures as last year, the exam was mostly lecture-based.

PSYC 100 (Psychology) –

“An introductory survey of basic areas of psychology including perception, cognition, learning and motivation and their biological substrata. Also reviewed are child development, individual differences, social psychology and behaviour disorders.”
• Known to be a difficult course, but unlocks interesting electives in upper years
• Exams determine your mark in the course, and they are typically multiple choice

PHIL 115 (Fundamental Questions) –

“Representative basic philosophical issues will be explored, such as: good and bad arguments, the source of moral obligation, the justification of knowledge claims, free will and determinism, the social enforcement of gender roles, taking responsibility for the environment, and the meaning of life.”
• Essay-based course
• Generally hard to do very well, but not too hard to do okay in
Was this helpful? Yes 0
48 replies

A photo of apark17 apark17
Leaning towards MAT121, just cuz i dont mind math and decent at it.
I just hope i do well haha..

How about you?

BTW did you guys ALL get your enrollment appointment today?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No we didn't get it yet, they said they will send an email tomorrow about our dates or something but I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think they just want us to think about what electives we are going to take, when I opened my solus I saw some shopping cart for courses thing and it's letting me add courses, so I don't know pretty confused, I'll just wait for the email. Math121? Yeah good choice, the only reason I didn't choose it is because it's a full year course and I'm already going to be taking Commerce Calc and Stats, so I don't want things to overlap.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote
No we didn't get it yet, they said they will send an email tomorrow about our dates or something but I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think they just want us to think about what electives we are going to take, when I opened my solus I saw some shopping cart for courses thing and it's letting me add courses, so I don't know pretty confused, I'll just wait for the email. Math121? Yeah good choice, the only reason I didn't choose it is because it's a full year course and I'm already going to be taking Commerce Calc and Stats, so I don't want things to overlap.

isnt it good to overlap in a way? kind of reinforce it?
i honestly dread essays and readings are boring if the topic is boring, so yeah math is the way to go for me..

which one are you leaning towards?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think I'm going to take Mandarin, if you read my blog you'll be convinced to take it too! Though Mandarin is 1.0 course, I'm thinking of taking an extra 0.5 course that's interesting and soft at the same time. Health 101 seems interesting we'll see, nothing is final. Remember how many times I switched around with my university decisions? Haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote
I think I'm going to take Mandarin, if you read my blog you'll be convinced to take it too! Though Mandarin is 1.0 course, I'm thinking of taking an extra 0.5 course that's interesting and soft at the same time. Health 101 seems interesting we'll see, nothing is final. Remember how many times I switched around with my university decisions? Haha.

haha i thought you were brown? sickkk. LOL bro, i had to change it from UW AFM-PA to QC AFTER the deadline. Biggest hassle of my life and still is...

Gah all these doubts surrounding MAT121... dont even know what to do. Shouldnt even be on SAF now, econ exam tomorrow.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm brown lol, but when's the last time you seen a brown guy speaking Mandarin? That's sexy. LOL bro don't even talk, I wasted $300 on McGill and my cheap parents are nagging me every day about it. It's all good study for your exam, we'll talk later! Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara
Leaning towards that first health.

What about that the languages?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of whysocurious whysocurious
guys, is it just me or all the bird courses just offered 1st term? -_-
I'm deff taking spanish first term and I want to find a bird course for second term but all the ones I have interest in just aren't offered during the winter, it's so frustratinggggg
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Business1234 Business1234
anyone have skype or facebook that would like to discuss this further over next couple of weeks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pjmas pjmas

@goldmansachs wrote
Compiled some student testimonials for certain electives, feel free to look at them to make your decision. Which one(s) are you leaning towards? Let's just discuss all of it here.

History 121

medium/hard. the readings are all long with convuted diction and antiquated sayings and phrases. it often takes a few readthroughs to get exactly what the writer is trying to say. as well, the lectures are not very interesting, and the powerpoint slides are really sparse. the exam was not terribly difficult but it took alot of preperation.
some of the readings and people are really interesting and it is fascinating to see the origins of a lot of our modern ideas and concepts. you can trace a lot of science, philosophy etc to the people we learn in the course and its interesting to see how it developed and such. also, rob moody is a great seminar instructor.
we spend way too much time muddling around in the middle ages with christian theologians who aren't that different from each other and who are not very interesting. the time we waste here would be better spent learning more about roman philosohpers and other elightened thinkers. that and the really sparse slides and boring lectures. its an interesting course but its really time consuming and at times can be incredibly dry

Classics129

super interesting course, and the concepts are not hard to grasp at all. There are no assignments, but there are 2 or 3 tests throughout the each semester and a final exam. The tests and exams are good because they are all in the exact same format, but if you don't know your stuff (and you won't if you don't go to the lectures) then you definitely won't do well. Also, I found that the marking was very subjective and that even if you did know your stuff inside and out then it was still entirely possible to get a mid-60.
The professor (B.Reeves) was awesome and she was super engaging and you could tell that she really enjoyed teaching. Hope that helps!

CompSci101

This is the first computing course I took, and as mentioned, if you have some experience, it should not be too difficult. Without any experience, it is still possible, but a little more difficult. The prof for this course varies depending on when you take it, but I have had 2 of the ones that normally teach it, and having heard from many others, this course is generally well liked by those interested in learning the skills of programming. (In this course you will be learning Python, it was Java when I took it, but has since changed)

Gender Studies120

was very easy and also if you're already interested in taking a WMNS course you'll probably find it very thought provoking! Going to the lectures aren't necessary becasue there's no exam, but I always went to them just becasue they introduced a lot of interesting issues. Also, the tutorials bring up good disscussion and I always wanted to go to them, opposed to feeling forced to because they're mandatory. Overall, cool course, easy marks, would def recommend it

Health 101

is the Social Determinants of Health - so you learn about how a peoples social situation effects their overall health, for example aboriginals and how impoverished many of their communities are in the north. There was a eight page report based on a book, and a few small writing assignments. You go to the lectures three times a week for about an hour. It was a great complement to the commerce workload as it did not take up too much time, and was rather interesting.

Health 102

is the Physical Determinants of Health - more about how the physical aspects of the world affect our health, like the location of doctors and what food is available in specific regions of the world. It did not have a final, rather three 20% in class tests, and two 20% projects.

POLS 110

(Intro to Politics & Government) – “An introduction to political science that provides both a framework for thinking about politics and the institutions of governance, and some of the vocabulary necessary for political analysis.”
• Very large classes
• Some students find first-year politics to be dry, but this course unlocks upper year politics classes which are known to be more interesting.

MATH 121

(Differential & Integral Calculus) – “Differentiation and integration of the elementary functions, with applications to physical and social sciences; Taylor polynomials; multivariable differential calculus.”

CLST 101

(Introduction to Greek and Roman Civilization) – “An introduction to major themes in the development of Greek and Roman civilization using the evidence of literature, history and archaeology. Some attention will be given to those aspects of ancient cultural and intellectual growth that are of significance in the western tradition.”
• Generally receives good reviews; a good choice if you’re good at memorizing and interested in ancient history

FILM 110

(Film, Culture and Communication) – “Introduction to analysis of film, television, advertising, and other, related forms of contemporary culture. Includes classical and contemporary Hollywood cinema, Canadian film and television, and alternatives in international cinema. Course requirements include both written work and elementary projects on videotape.”
• No final exam; students write four tests over the course of the year and are also marked on assignments/essays.

“The fundamentals of human geography including the meanings of place, the impacts of globalization, multiculturalism, population change and movement, environmental history and politics, cultural geography, issues of uneven resource distribution, the role of colonialism in the modern shape of the world, agricultural geography, and urban geography.”
• Very important to go to lectures as last year, the exam was mostly lecture-based.

PSYC 100 (Psychology) –

“An introductory survey of basic areas of psychology including perception, cognition, learning and motivation and their biological substrata. Also reviewed are child development, individual differences, social psychology and behaviour disorders.”
• Known to be a difficult course, but unlocks interesting electives in upper years
• Exams determine your mark in the course, and they are typically multiple choice

“Representative basic philosophical issues will be explored, such as: good and bad arguments, the source of moral obligation, the justification of knowledge claims, free will and determinism, the social enforcement of gender roles, taking responsibility for the environment, and the meaning of life.”
• Essay-based course

Thanks goldmansachs! u rule dude haha, needed this
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pjmas pjmas

@goldmansachs wrote

History 121

Classics129

CompSci101

Gender Studies120

Health 101

Health 102

POLS 110

• Very large classes

MATH 121

CLST 101

FILM 110

PSYC 100 (Psychology) –

• Essay-based course

Also, are these all 1.0 credit courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

The health courses, gender studies, computer science, geography are 0.5 courses. The rest are 1.0.

EDIT: Can we discuss this here, it's hard to keep track on what we are talking about, there are like five threads about this, let's use this one. Anyway pjmas, if you are looking for bird courses, take human nutrition, health 101/102, geography, computer science081 not 101.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hmm anyone else going to take MAT121?

idk why i am having doubts about it, was gonna do a math degree except i didnt get in to math/ca..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do it if you like it buddy, I just don't know if I will be able to handle it as I don't have any AP/IB credits, just the regular MCV 4U. I'll probably get murdered, I see a lot of people at QC who are AP/IB makes it sorta intimidating.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@apark17 wrote
math/ca..

I know this but everything is blanking on me lol. What is math/ca again? :$
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote
Do it if you like it buddy, I just don't know if I will be able to handle it as I don't have any AP/IB credits, just the regular MCV 4U. I'll probably get murdered, I see a lot of people at QC who are AP/IB makes it sorta intimidating.

lol thats honestly the same case for me, but like im sure we will be fine!

@Username81 wrote

@apark17 wrote
math/ca..

I know this but everything is blanking on me lol. What is math/ca again? :$

lol its waterloo's afm + math degree, and i got rejected :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Math/CA the 5 year program at Waterloo?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote
Math/CA the 5 year program at Waterloo?

yeapp that was my first choice haha..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah just answering UN81's question. Okay so dude you set on Math121? When's your enrollment appointment?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote
Yeah just answering UN81's question. Okay so dude you set on Math121? When's your enrollment appointment?

thing is lol i didnt get one.. i should call right about now. I'm like 99% sure, all my life my highest marks have been in maths so it should be fine..

did you get yours?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah it should be on your student center, go click on details on the right hand bar that says enrollment appointment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks goldmansachs. I thought so but I was like, "wtf, Queen's has one too? :s" haha. Exams are turning my brains to mush.

@apark17 wrote
idk why i am having doubts about it, was gonna do a math degree except i didnt get in to math/ca..

You're probably self-doubting yourself now because since Waterloo rejected you, you're wondering whether or not you can do it/if it's for you.

But you got into Queen's so you're no dummy :). If you enjoy it go for it! Had Waterloo accepted you'd be doing it so..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote
Thanks goldmansachs. I thought so but I was like, "wtf, Queen's has one too? :s" haha. Exams are turning my brains to mush.

@apark17 wrote

You're probably self-doubting yourself now because since Waterloo rejected you, you're wondering whether or not you can do it/if it's for you.

But you got into Queen's so you're no dummy :). If you enjoy it go for it! Had Waterloo accepted you'd be doing it so..

hahaha thanks for the motivation! But hmm if i recall i remember you having 93 avg getting rejected at qc and ivey.. thats very very very odd..

i just cant seem to focus anymore haha damn..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@apark17 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@apark17 wrote

hahaha thanks for the motivation! But hmm if i recall i remember you having 93 avg getting rejected at qc and ivey.. thats very very very odd..

i just cant seem to focus anymore haha damn..

Exactly so I know how you feel lol. You have no idea how much I keep doubting myself about whether or not I can get co-op 2nd year. A couple guys here chose Laurier over Ivey so the mind plays tricks with me by saying they'll likely get the better placement.
Was this helpful? Yes 0