yconic - Queen's Commerce electives?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's Commerce electives?

A photo of whysocurious whysocurious
Hey I was just wondering what are some good bird courses (electives) I should take first year, preferably classes with minimum essay writing and all.

Thanks so much!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Human nutrition and human geography seems to be the easy ones. Political Science or Socio is pretty easy too but it has essay writing. I'm so disappointed Queen's doesn't have a criminology course...I really wanted to take it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

criminology would have been sooooooo cool :(
are those the ones you're taking?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I know...I was pretty surprised though what kind of university doesn't have criminology =/?

Uh no I think I'm going to take the Math 121 for sure so it opens up the option to take more economics courses upper year if you are interested and I might take Health 101 which I heard was very interesting or CISC081 which is the very very easy computer science course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

what is MAT121 anyway? calc?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of apark17 apark17
How hard is the Math electives at queens? doable?

Mat121?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Buzz Buzz
where do you find out about electives in some detail?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara
The Queens website has some details on courses, although just a general overview of everything. I think we're getting a package in July sometime with more detail.

I'm not sure what to take yet either, I'll probably just go for whatever bird course fits into my schedule best.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm just looking at the calendar http://www.queensu.ca/calendars/artsci/Courses_of_Instruction__by_Subject_.html

Well Math121 isn't bad from what I hear but I don't think I'm going to take it, I don't want math as an elective for the entire year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of unigirl123101 unigirl123101
Congrats to everyone coming to Queen's next year! You made the right choice ;)

I hope I can give you some insight as to picking electives, having done it myself last year...

All you people who were mentioning math electives, just remember that you will be taking a calc(ish)and stats COMM classes already, so throwing another math in the mix might just be annoying rather than useful. Two of my friends took MATH121 and found it irritating to have to do 2 different math classes at once with similar, but different material.

Unless you are that person who gets 100% in math without ever cracking a book (I'm jealous..) then why bother with it?

As for wanting to take econ ever again, HAHAHAHA. Econ was HORRIBLE and the vast majority of my class will agree. It is PAINFULLY boring and awful and I will never ever take it again.

There are a few more interesting econ classes in upper years that only require ECON110 or COMM162 as a pre-req, which you will be taking anyway...

Human geography and health were popular and fairly easy from what I heard. Taking a language (French, Spanish, German, Mandarin w/e) at the zero level is another fairly easy choice and might come in handy for your future exchange...

I would advise that you try to avoid anything with frequent papers, essays and assignments (POLS, DEVS, SOCY, RELS, PHIL, ENG...etc.) as those classes tend to have large amounts of reading and time-consuming papers.

For now, just pick something you think you will be interested in, and doesn't seem to have a very heavy workload.

Add-drop period comes at the end of August and goes until the middle of September (if I remember correctly...) and you can always switch then. It's a bit of a pain, but it gives yu a chance to try out the class you enrolled in for a few weeks. If you hate it, you can switch into something else.

Good luck! Feel free to PM with questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0