yconic - QUEEN`S COMMERCE OR WATERLOO AFM-PA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

QUEEN`S COMMERCE OR WATERLOO AFM-PA

A photo of lalala1232 lalala1232
I was first waitlisted at Queen`s and so I accepted Waterloo Accounting and Financial Management (Public Accounting) since I got into their Fellowship program. But Queen`s has offered me a spot and I can still change - should I take it... Also, has anyone heard about the Fellowship program, and how good it is or beneficial, because I dont know if its worth it to go to Waterloo because of that program since Queens commerce is more general and it also has an international exchange program...
Thanks in advance for any feedback! =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Search: Posted by as "watchusaying" and posts as "fellowship"

I think you should consider whether you want to commit 5 years of your life to an accounting program (although it has some finance opportunities too) or if you want to go to a 4 year full-business program with lots of options. Spoiler alert: the Fellowship program isn't a deal breaker.

Also, if you accept Queen's, don't you lose your scholarship?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
It really depends on what you want to do later on, if you are set on accounting and you really want to do it, then I recommend AFM. However, high school accounting isn't the slightest bit like university and there is a risk that you might end up disliking it. Why take a risk? These were some of the reasons why I ruled out AFM-PA very early.

I chose Queen's Commerce because it is overall a very well renowned program with strengths in every sub-stream of business. Although I'm interested in finance, it will give me a good foundation in all business streams before I really am set on a stream I want to specialize in. They have strong accounting recruitment, so if you figure out that you want accounting you will still have a wide range of opportunities. I also chose Queen's Commerce because of the strong international exchange program because they are partnered with like 80 different schools, and some of them are very reputable. Most students go on it and this is something I want to experience. Most students also find summer internships after second year, some even first year so it's just like the co-op at Waterloo except it's not mandatory.

The rest were just my personal personal preferences, so I rather not say. Good luck and congratulations!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apark17 apark17
Yeah all depends what you want to do.

I chose AFM-PA pretty much had the same dilemma your going through. Chose it for the flexibility of the CA designation, its just a title not a job. You can pretty much go in to anything in business with your CA, also good money :)

Co-op is a tremendous advantage IMO, because you can get your CA designation faster than anyone that is graduating in 2011.

But yeah like everyone else says, depends on what you want to do!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@goldmansachs wrote
It really depends on what you want to do later on, if you are set on accounting and you really want to do it, then I recommend AFM. However, high school accounting isn't the slightest bit like university and there is a risk that you might end up disliking it. Why take a risk? These were some of the reasons why I ruled out AFM-PA very early.

I chose Queen's Commerce because it is overall a very well renowned program with strengths in every sub-stream of business. Although I'm interested in finance, it will give me a good foundation in all business streams before I really am set on a stream I want to specialize in. They have strong accounting recruitment, so if you figure out that you want accounting you will still have a wide range of opportunities. I also chose Queen's Commerce because of the strong international exchange program because they are partnered with like 80 different schools, and some of them are very reputable. Most students go on it and this is something I want to experience. Most students also find summer internships after second year, some even first year so it's just like the co-op at Waterloo except it's not mandatory.

The rest were just my personal personal preferences, so I rather not say. Good luck and congratulations!

Except you are working in the summer. This is one of the reasons why many of the QC students' resumes are... lacking (which I was surprised by btw).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lalala1232 lalala1232
wow! you guys are all so helpful! Thanks so much. I really appreciate it. I guess whichever way I choose there will be some sort of flexibility for me. And there are pros to both sies. I wont regret either way. I`ll make my decision tomorrow. I`m still stressed about it but I`m more reassured knowing that both are good for the business field. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apark17 apark17

@lalala1232 wrote
wow! you guys are all so helpful! Thanks so much. I really appreciate it. I guess whichever way I choose there will be some sort of flexibility for me. And there are pros to both sies. I wont regret either way. I`ll make my decision tomorrow. I`m still stressed about it but I`m more reassured knowing that both are good for the business field. :)

haha no prob. Let us know what you choose!
Was this helpful? Yes 0