yconic - Queen's Commerce questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's Commerce questions

A photo of ergo ergo
I've taken the leap and accepted Queen's offer. Very stoked, but I've got a few random questions.

I've heard stuff about QC "buddies." What exactly is this?
How easy is it for a freshman to get involved with ComSoc?
Aaaand if anyone in the Ottawa area wants to unload some first year books, I'm interested in obtaining them at less than the outrage bookstore price. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
QC buddies? Hmm, I think it is when you have a second year QC student mentor helping you out with your transition.

Once you are in Queen's Commerce, you are already a member of ComSoc. If you are asking in regards to leadership positions, there are plenty I heard there are like 700 positions available and hopefully out of the 700 there will be some positions designated for us haha.

I'm in the Toronto area and I'm also interested in getting a hold of first year books, please message up if you can hook me up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TKBCOM14 TKBCOM14
"buddies" is a scheme to sell textbooks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QueensHSL2011 QueensHSL2011
We would love to see your questions on our page, so they can get answered by current Queen's students and staff.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Queens-Commerce-2015/162152840510200

Ask Away
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QueensHSL2011 QueensHSL2011
And just in case you don't have Facebook... (it's time to get it!)

I've heard stuff about QC "buddies." What exactly is this?

As mentionned, your buddy is a second year student that you meet on the last day of Frosh Week. Yes, this is a great way for you to get textbooks, but it's also a great go-to person for any QC-related advice. My buddy still contacts me regularly about class selection or anything else... so like mentor. You'll have your Bosses too (Orientation Leaders) but your buddy is just one more contact in QC who can help you out when you need it.

How easy is it for a freshman to get involved with ComSoc?

Every conference (10, case-competition (4) and committee (27-- HSL being the best. Clearly.), hire 1-3 First Year Reps during the first two weeks of school. This is your chance, so apply to what interests you. It's competitive, but it's a great wait to get your foot into the door because conferences in particular are competitive to get on in upper-years. I got on HSL as a Frosh Rep and now I'm co-chair.

Also, the ComSoc President (Kelsey), VP Internal (Kathryn) and VP External (Rob) each hire a First Year Intern who sit on Assembly. Also, you can run for COMM15 Class Pres (I'm the COMM12 Class Pres if you have questions about that), Treasurer and Social Coordinator.

Once the conferences have been held, they start hiring the new exec for the next year, so you can apply to be an executive member for conference while still being in first year. (For example, QACE is held in October. They will start hiring their exec for the following year in November-ish)

Aaaand if anyone in the Ottawa area wants to unload some first year books, I'm interested in obtaining them at less than the outrage bookstore price.

THIS IS IMPORTANT. We always suggest to wait until you arrive at Queen's to get your textbooks. The textbooks change year to year so please don't buy them off a second year student until you've been to your first class and the prof has confirmed the edition of the textbook. It might be tempting to get a heads up, but it's not worth it if the prof changes the edition OR the entire textbook (if it's a different prof, for example.) Like I mentionned, your buddy will most likely be wanting to sell his/her textbook or you can buy them at a discounted price at the Used Bookstore.

If you really can't resist, then go to http://www.campusbookstore.com/Textbooks/SearchEngine/ and look up the book list. But like I said, it might be in your interest to hold off.

I hope that helps - come join us on the Facebook group, you guys always have great questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0