yconic - Queen's Commerce to Ivey HBA Transfer
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's Commerce to Ivey HBA Transfer

A photo of undisputed92 undisputed92
Hi Studentawards,

I am a 1st year student at Queen's Commerce. I did not like Queen's Commerce very much. I was very happy when I was accepted last year but realized that Queen's Commerce isn't really for me.

I know that UWO AEO students are not allowed to take 1st year courses in 2nd year; Does the same hold for transfer applicants? I can take 1.5 elective courses in second year. I took PSYC100 in first year (first year psychology), and I really don't want to take 200 level PSYC course. I could also take 200 level ECON course but I don't like ECON courses either.

So if I take 100 level language courses next year as my electives, does this mean Ivey won't consider me?

Sincerely.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of IveyRecruiting2011 IveyRecruiting2011

@undisputed92 wrote
Hi Studentawards,

I am a 1st year student at Queen's Commerce. I did not like Queen's Commerce very much. I was very happy when I was accepted last year but realized that Queen's Commerce isn't really for me.

I know that UWO AEO students are not allowed to take 1st year courses in 2nd year; Does the same hold for transfer applicants? I can take 1.5 elective courses in second year. I took PSYC100 in first year (first year psychology), and I really don't want to take 200 level PSYC course. I could also take 200 level ECON course but I don't like ECON courses either.

So if I take 100 level language courses next year as my electives, does this mean Ivey won't consider me?

Sincerely.

If you're applying from Queen's Comm, you'll need to take the equivalent of our Business 2257, which is COMM 111 (Fin. Acctg.) + COMM 112 (Mgmt. Acctg.) = BUS2257 (both ½ courses).

If you decide to take 1st year courses in 2nd year, we would adjust your "Academic Challenge" rating, which compares how difficult your set of courses are versus others who apply. If it's just the 200 level psych course you don't like, are you able to take another 200 level course in another subject area?

You are allowed to take other courses, just bear in mind we look at those as factors too.

Good luck with the application process, let me know if you have any other questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK

@IveyRecruiting2011 wrote

If you're applying from Queen's Comm, you'll need to take the equivalent of our Business 2257, which is COMM 111 (Fin. Acctg.) + COMM 112 (Mgmt. Acctg.) = BUS2257 (both ½ courses).

If you decide to take 1st year courses in 2nd year, we would adjust your "Academic Challenge" rating, which compares how difficult your set of courses are versus others who apply. If it's just the 200 level psych course you don't like, are you able to take another 200 level course in another subject area?

You are allowed to take other courses, just bear in mind we look at those as factors too.

Good luck with the application process, let me know if you have any other questions.

If I am going to apply from Schulich, what are the equivalent courses I would have to take?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@undisputed92 wrote
Hi Studentawards,

Sincerely.

How many credits does Ivey look at? I vaguely remember 10.0 credits, and I would have 11.0 credits at the end of 2nd year.

Also, at Queen's Commerce, 2nd year commerce courses are 100 level courses. However, the same exact courses are 300 level courses at schools like Laurier (Finance II COMM122 is a 3rd year courses there) and Rotman (Marketing II COMM132). Does this negatively affect my "Academic Challenge" rating? Also, courses like Marketing I, Managerial Stats, Fin & Mgmt Accounting and Organizational Behaviour are often 2nd year courses in other schools, but at QC, we take it during first year. Again, does this negatively affect my "Academic Challenge" rating? 1st year QC courses are not easier in any way or form compared to corresponding 2nd year courses at other schools.

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Another Q.

In terms of verifying extracurricular activities, my references will be co-chairs of Queen's Commerce Society committees. And Queen's Commerce is not a fan of its students defecting to Ivey, and I would think that they could give untrue malicious info to hinder my chance of getting accepted to Ivey. How would something like that be dealt with?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jeffhe Jeffhe

@undisputed92 wrote
Another Q.

In terms of verifying extracurricular activities, my references will be co-chairs of Queen's Commerce Society committees. And Queen's Commerce is not a fan of its students defecting to Ivey, and I would think that they could give untrue malicious info to hinder my chance of getting accepted to Ivey. How would something like that be dealt with?

Wow what a way to paint Queen's Commerce :)

I heard the professors there are nice. Use them as your references instead.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jeffhe wrote

@undisputed92 wrote
Another Q.

Wow what a way to paint Queen's Commerce :)

I heard the professors there are nice. Use them as your references instead.

QC Society committees and conferences are entirely student run.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
If you don't mind me asking, what part of commerce did you not like? What aspects of it did you feel "weren't for you"?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nazarus nazarus
yea cus ivey would want you.. someone who couldnt make it at queens. rofl what a joke
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
err whaaa?

Why would you leave QC for Ivey? What don't you like about it?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nazarus nazarus

@Serendipity wrote
err whaaa?

Because Ivey is the best business school in Canada. Why else?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of baller7 baller7

@nazarus wrote

@Serendipity wrote
err whaaa?

Because Ivey is the best business school in Canada. Why else?

There is just too much debate regarding both of those universities. Each uni. has both it's pros and cons...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@AZK wrote

If I am going to apply from Schulich, what are the equivalent courses I would have to take?

ACTG 2010.03 + 2011.03 + 3020.30 = BUS2257
 ACTG 2010 + 2011 + AK2510 (Atkinson) = BUS2257
 ACTG 3020 + Acctg. 253 (Athabasca) = BUS2257 2002-04-22
 ACTG 2010 + ACTG 2011 = 1
st
½ BUS2257 2005-02-04
 ACTG 2020 (former ACTG 3020) = 2
nd
½ BUS2257 2005-02-04

Check out http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/hba/pdfs/Business_2257_Dec_2010.pdf for all information.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@undisputed92 wrote

@undisputed92 wrote
Hi Studentawards,

Sincerely.

How many credits does Ivey look at? I vaguely remember 10.0 credits, and I would have 11.0 credits at the end of 2nd year.

Also, at Queen's Commerce, 2nd year commerce courses are 100 level courses. However, the same exact courses are 300 level courses at schools like Laurier (Finance II COMM122 is a 3rd year courses there) and Rotman (Marketing II COMM132). Does this negatively affect my "Academic Challenge" rating? Also, courses like Marketing I, Managerial Stats, Fin & Mgmt Accounting and Organizational Behaviour are often 2nd year courses in other schools, but at QC, we take it during first year. Again, does this negatively affect my "Academic Challenge" rating? 1st year QC courses are not easier in any way or form compared to corresponding 2nd year courses at other schools.

Thanks

Ivey will look all of the courses you've taken thus far. If you've completed 11.0 credits in 2 years, that would bolster your academic challenge rating (if you specifically overloaded), as for the difficulty of each course - our admissions coordinators pay very close attention to the level of difficulty each course is and will evaluate them as such.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@undisputed92 wrote
Another Q.

You will still need to list references, you may want to emphasize the sensitive nature of asking for a reference. Our office would only then check that reference if they felt that it was absolutely necessary.

This is a similar situation that you might find in the workplace to (ie. applying for another job while still working at your current job), and a key learning here is to find a reference that you don't mind letting know of your intentions. It's a personal discussion you may want to have.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@undisputed92 wrote
Another Q.

You will still need to list references, you may want to emphasize the sensitive nature of asking for a reference. Our office would only then check that reference if they felt that it was absolutely necessary.

This is a similar situation that you might find in the workplace to (ie. applying for another job while still working at your current job), and a key learning here is to find a reference that you don't mind letting know of your intentions. It's a personal discussion you may want to have.

Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@undisputed92 wrote
Another Q.

Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0