yconic - Queen's Commerce, Western Ivey or Rotman ?!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's Commerce, Western Ivey or Rotman ?!

A photo of tb95 tb95
Pros, Cons?
Have you applied to these schools? What are your marks/extra-curriculars?
Do you currently attend any of these schools/ programs.. do you like it? what would you change?

Any thoughts on these school's and their commerce programs would be great!
Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Redprince Redprince
In my opinion...

Ivey - offers a dual degree in two very different fields (e.g business and engineering). However, it is a really big rip-off if you are just doing Bmos and HBA because you are paying $20,000 just for one degree.

Rotman - Has the highest international reputation in all of Canada (My brother was applying to a foreign company and they took him over an Ivey graduate). However, when you graduate from Rotman, the degree says "University of Toronto" (does not mention Rotman) which puts you together with the UTM - commerce.

Queens - The only thing I know is that you can sign up to live in a Castle =D.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@Redprince wrote
In my opinion...

Ivey - offers a dual degree in two very different fields (e.g business and engineering). However, it is a really big rip-off if you are just doing Bmos and HBA because you are paying $20,000 just for one degree.

Rotman - Has the highest international reputation in all of Canada (My brother was applying to a foreign company and they took him over an Ivey graduate). However, when you graduate from Rotman, the degree says "University of Toronto" (does not mention Rotman) which puts you together with the UTM - commerce.

Really big rip off? When you average out Queen's commerce and Western Ivey + 2 first years, the price is within a couple thousand of each other. And last time I checked, you still get only one degree from Queen's commerce.

Also, you can't possibly take one single anecdote from your brother being taken over an Ivey graduate and make such a huge conjecture like that. All three schools are recognized internationally and have their own strengths for each program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bcd92 bcd92
personally, i find Rotman commerce the best. I've also applied for this program. I don't think i stand a good chance because it is very competitive (90+ average). I'm only getting an 85% with high chances of fluctuation. Extra curricular activities include: SAC, annoucement and DECA. Volunteer hours are 150+.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DayOnBay DayOnBay
Studentawards has a great breakdown on undergraduate business programs in Canada here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tb95 tb95
Thanks everyone!

I was wondering about what people thought about Rotman.. Is it true that you are not "
in business school" from day one at U of T.. and you only really start the program in 2nd year?
Any info is appreciated!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheConsultant TheConsultant

@onlymatthew wrote

@Redprince wrote
In my opinion...

Really big rip off? When you average out Queen's commerce and Western Ivey + 2 first years, the price is within a couple thousand of each other. And last time I checked, you still get only one degree from Queen's commerce.

Also, you can't possibly take one single anecdote from your brother being taken over an Ivey graduate and make such a huge conjecture like that. All three schools are recognized internationally and have their own strengths for each program.

when i applied to ivey, i did a cost comparison and found that ivey was a few grand more, however if you were going to do a degree in engineering like i was going to, it got significantly more pricey. also i believer ivey hiked up tuition a bit more now so the gap keeps growing and i believe will continue to grow till the new ivey building is donw
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
I don't think rotman is comparable at ALL with ivey or queen's.

The reasons are:

1. Ivey and queen's have much better BUSINESS reputation; UofT just has a name, but program wise it is not in the same league as queen's or ivey (2nd tier program vs. 1st tier for both queen's and ivey)

2. Placements of students after university are much better at ivey and queen's than at commerce -again bec. rotman isnt in the same league.

3. While ivey and queen's really focus on their undergrads and have unique aspects to their programs (ivey=case study ethod and 2+2; queens=incomparable case competitions and commerce society), rotman mainly focuses on their graduates -for grad school they are good, but undergrad no.

4. related to above^, the rotman teachers dont care about undergrad, because their reputation comes from their grad program.

5. While Queens and ivey invest heavily in supp. apps, rotman still only judges mainly on marks = ppl who can memorize vs. people who can actually do something/get you somewhere.

6. Queen's and Ivey alumni are awesome.

7. U.S. grad schools and companies KNOW Ivey and Queen's. Rotman is a vague acquaintance.

8.The programs and environments at western and queen's are much better; uoft is mostly study study study and theoretical learning based. you are also just a number (according to friends in the program). Queen's and ivey dont approach their students that way.

I'm not trying to be offensive btw.. so excuse any harshness
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@Windsongs4 wrote
I don't think rotman is comparable at ALL with ivey or queen's.

The reasons are:

1. Ivey and queen's have much better BUSINESS reputation; UofT just has a name, but program wise it is not in the same league as queen's or ivey (2nd tier program vs. 1st tier for both queen's and ivey)

2. Placements of students after university are much better at ivey and queen's than at commerce -again bec. rotman isnt in the same league.

3. While ivey and queen's really focus on their undergrads and have unique aspects to their programs (ivey=case study ethod and 2+2; queens=incomparable case competitions and commerce society), rotman mainly focuses on their graduates -for grad school they are good, but undergrad no.

4. related to above^, the rotman teachers dont care about undergrad, because their reputation comes from their grad program.

5. While Queens and ivey invest heavily in supp. apps, rotman still only judges mainly on marks = ppl who can memorize vs. people who can actually do something/get you somewhere.

6. Queen's and Ivey alumni are awesome.

7. U.S. grad schools and companies KNOW Ivey and Queen's. Rotman is a vague acquaintance.

8.The programs and environments at western and queen's are much better; uoft is mostly study study study and theoretical learning based. you are also just a number (according to friends in the program). Queen's and ivey dont approach their students that way.

I'm not trying to be offensive btw.. so excuse any harshness

1. Agreed
2. That really depends on the field, maybe in finance Queen's/Ivey are "much better", but I find it hard to believe it for accounting and other disciplines. I don't think Rotman gets bad placement by any means...
3. Kind of hard to prove, but Rotman's reputation seems that way
4. Also hard to prove :/
5. Would that make McGill the worst of all the schools in any field because they have no supplementary application for any programs? I get what you're trying to say but it's not that great of an argument. Also, how would you know Rotman only considers marks?
6. I'm sure Rotman alumni are/can be just as awesome
7. Rotman can ride off of U of T's name and reputation (which is pretty much the most widely known school in the States along with McGill). Ivey has a reputation too but you can't compare it to U of T's imo
8. That's up to the person, maybe some people like to study study study lols
Was this helpful? Yes 0