yconic - Queen's Commerce/Ivey Hopeful
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's Commerce/Ivey Hopeful

A photo of StillHopes StillHopes
Hi guys,

I am a queen's commerce/ivey hopeful. Not horribly worried about grades but I am concerned with EC's as I have seen so many people with AMAZING EC's already. This is mine personally so far:

-Volunteer experience e.g. Food banks
-Concert band (1 practice a week for 2 hrs)
-Student tutor
-Organised badminton (Sundays)
-Badminton team
-Outside of school language school (does this even count?)

The thing is, I never had time to get around to other EC's. I am currently in 10th grade. If I was to be more involved in higher grades, will universities frown upon that? As well, with the current EC, a good essay combined with a 92-4 range average, what are my chances at QC or Ivey?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
As long as you can sell yourself on your ECs, you are fine =)

Cant wait to see the new QC Class of 2016, maybe I'll see you there
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bcd92 bcd92

@cliffhanger33 wrote

he/she is in grade 10
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
...why are you here if you are in grade 10?
No offence, but go out and have fun or get some more EC's if you're so worried? Two years is more than enough time to start a club/become an exec of several.
Also, this isn't always true but averages DO tend to drop from grade 10-12. In my case I went up, but I'd still be worrying about MAINTAINING your 92-94. Most people who had 90+ averages in grades 9 and 10 that I knew simply couldn't handle the pressure of getting an 85 in the grade 11 sciences and math, which stressed them out and made them do even worse. I'd worry less about getting a 90+ average in grade 10 (which is useless pretty much) and worry more about your EC's if that's where your concern lies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of michaelchang516 michaelchang516

@cliffhanger33 wrote

I'll probably end up going to Queen's! Class of 2016!

Is Queen's your first choice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@michaelchang516 wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote

I see that you applied to Stern, I was going to apply there but turned out I couldn't as I do not have Math HL. Good luck!

And yes, Queen's would most likely be my first choice, but I'll wait on Ivey to decide!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jpmorgan jpmorgan
cliffhanger and mike, how did you guys get into qc already? I thought the earliest acceptance was in march?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tyop Tyop

@jpmorgan wrote
cliffhanger and mike, how did you guys get into qc already? I thought the earliest acceptance was in march?

I believe they have received their early admission into the programs because they are Chancellor's Nominees.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Finance27 Finance27
^ I'm a Chancellor's but haven't received anything. I think it is because they have their Grade 12 first sem or something, marks submitted to OUAC.

I have no gr.12 marks submitted - are first semester mid-terms at least supposed to go on?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mundane12321 mundane12321

@StillHopes wrote

The thing is, I never had time to get around to other EC's. I am currently in 10th grade. If I was to be more involved in higher grades, will universities frown upon that? As well, with the current EC, a good essay combined with a 92-4 range average, what are my chances at QC or Ivey?

the eff.. go study history
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mundane12321 wrote

@StillHopes wrote

the eff.. go study history

I don't think you need to have an overwelming amount of ECs. I think colleges look for commitment to something you're intrested in. But I think especially in business they tend to look for ECs involving in leadership. So find something you enjoy doing and step up as a leader, then it's up to you to communicate with the admission officers regarding your extra involvements through your essays. All colleges want well-rounded students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Tyop wrote

@jpmorgan wrote

I believe they have received their early admission into the programs because they are Chancellor's Nominees.

Yes, I believe they start accepting Chancellor's Nominees first. They also want to see some sort of grade 12 marks before they make any acceptances. I'm not sure about cliffhanger, but when I sent my Major Admissions Awards Application for Chancellor's Award, I included a report card that had my grades for the first part of grade 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cliffhanger33 wrote

@michaelchang516 wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote

I see that you applied to Stern, I was going to apply there but turned out I couldn't as I do not have Math HL. Good luck!

And yes, Queen's would most likely be my first choice, but I'll wait on Ivey to decide!

Yeah, if I get into Stern and Ivey, I'll have a tough time deciding between them and Queen's. Do you think Stern would provide recruitment that Ivey and Queen's don't?
I also applied for Wharton (Early Decision) but I got rejected.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@michael

TBH, I did a lot of research on Stern and the only advantage really is the location. Stern is an internship powerhouse and you will be gauranteed internship in NYC. However, I don't know if it is worth it to spend $250,000 on Stern, when you could get pretty similar opportunities from Queen's or Ivey. BUT if you are dead set on U.S. to work and are okay with spending the money, then Stern all the way.

To the OP,
As for ECs, it is crucial to have commitment and leadership. Almost all of my ECs on my apps reflected leadership with strong achievements (e.g. raised $21,000). I even excluded a lot of ECs that did not demonstrate leadership, e.g. basic service hours and soup kitch stuff. As long as you show passion and leadership in your ECs, you will have no problem getting into anywhere in Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@michaelchang516 wrote

@Tyop wrote

@jpmorgan wrote

Yes, I believe they start accepting Chancellor's Nominees first. They also want to see some sort of grade 12 marks before they make any acceptances. I'm not sure about cliffhanger, but when I sent my Major Admissions Awards Application for Chancellor's Award, I included a report card that had my grades for the first part of grade 12.

Yes I submitted my entire HS transcript with grade 12 first term as well as my IB predicted grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0