yconic - Queen's Con Ed Applicants
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's Con Ed Applicants

A photo of Fawlkes Fawlkes
It seems like there are quite a few of us on here, each of us just as anxious as the next in our desperate pining for that acceptance letter. So I thought we should have our own thread to bemoan our wait and celebrate those who have already been accepted. And of course go crazy with people who understand if and when we do get accepted.

So far I've only heard of two people who have gotten in. Have you heard of any more?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
22 replies

A photo of Katzel Katzel
Same here - I've only heard of 2-3 people getting in..

And I haven't even been accepted to Arts (I have a 97 average and spent a considerable time working on my PSE, which I submitted February 15th.)

I think I can take a guess as to why though. Since their policy is that if you're accepted and get a scholarship then it doesn't matter if your average drops considerably, they're waiting until mid-terms before accepting people with 95+. That way they can make certain applicants lose out on 6000 dollars, just by waiting a few more months and seeing if their averages drop.

anyone else think this might be the case?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
I got accepted last year in March, just before March break. Maybe the fact that I applied to science and not arts had something to do with that though...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This year they have been telling us that acceptances are later than in previous years because Queen's changed its entire administrative system and there have been so many problems that they wanted to try to work them out before they started making offers.

In some ways your theory does make sense Katzel. Out of the two I've heard of, one was a chancelor's recipient, so they are already getting money, and the other had an average below 95%. I'd like to believe they have a better reason for it, but I know that sadly, that's not the way the world works all the time. At the same time though, if that really was the way it worked they wouldn't guarantee the scholarships at all. And besides, between scholarships and bursaries, they offered me more that $6000 with my arts acceptance.

Personally I have around a 92 average, and its the same story with my PSE. To be honest, the acceptances seem to be pretty random (for arts anyways). I had a friend who got in with an 83 average and another who hasn't heard back with a 94.

I have heard some whispering about things like that though. Queen's is one of the only schools to ever admit to ajusting student's grades based on the high school they are comming from. Queen's sent a letter to my school last year saying our students could apply to commerce with an 82 even though the cutoff is 87.

Who knows, we could speculate for hours, but honesly, I'm rather alarmed to find myself sounding like a conspiracy theorist. All I know is that the wait is by no means an insignificant source of anxiety.

The upside of none of us having heard of many acceptances is that it means there are more spots still open which (hopefully) will be offered to us!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Omok Omok
:cheers: Recently got accepted on April First. :D (Almost thought it was gonna be a cruel Joke from Queen's.)

My average is only about 92...My ECs are....mediocre at best. O_o; (School badminton team, badminton club, healthy schools club, volunteered for a year at a senior home, volunteered for a month at a child's summer camp.) -_-; my PSE and Supplementary essay was WONKY at best...:bounce:

:batman: When i was writing the supplementary essay...i had such a hugeee headache that weekend, I honestly crashed and burned and didn't care as much as i should have (still a lot of care) and wrote it in a five paragraph/versus format....=_=; for a mere 300 word essay. :batman: :batman: and I only got a friend who have better grammar than me to edit it.....O_O;

:bounce: Even my mom's like...something probably bonked the head of Queen's admission for them to gimme this offer so soon...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katzel Katzel

@Omok wrote
:cheers: Recently got accepted on April First. :D (Almost thought it was gonna be a cruel Joke from Queen's.)

My average is only about 92...My ECs are....mediocre at best. O_o; (School badminton team, badminton club, healthy schools club, volunteered for a year at a senior home, volunteered for a month at a child's summer camp.) -_-; my PSE and Supplementary essay was WONKY at best...:bounce:

:batman: When i was writing the supplementary essay...i had such a hugeee headache that weekend, I honestly crashed and burned and didn't care as much as i should have (still a lot of care) and wrote it in a five paragraph/versus format....=_=; for a mere 300 word essay. :batman: :batman: and I only got a friend who have better grammar than me to edit it.....O_O;

:bounce: Even my mom's like...something probably bonked the head of Queen's admission for them to gimme this offer so soon...

Hahah your mom is wrong - you got in because you deserved it!

But it really makes me wonder.. like I said I have a 97 avg, my ECs were VERY strong, and I spent WEEKS working on my PSE and Supplementary essay, all the while with the advice of someone who worked for Queens admissions. Finally, I got about 10 teachers to look it over. I sent in my PSE on February 15th (you said you sent yours Feb 23rd right?) , which was the last submission date for an early offer of admission.

.. I STILL haven't been accepted to Arts..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Omok Omok

@Katzel wrote

@Omok wrote

Hahah your mom is wrong - you got in because you deserved it!

But it really makes me wonder.. like I said I have a 97 avg, my ECs were VERY strong, and I spent WEEKS working on my PSE and Supplementary essay, all the while with the advice of someone who worked for Queens admissions. Finally, I got about 10 teachers to look it over. I sent in my PSE on February 15th (you said you sent yours Feb 23rd right?) , which was the last submission date for an early offer of admission.

.. I STILL haven't been accepted to Arts..

=) I think for your case, it's 'cause of the scholarships thing (your theory). Hahaha, if I were working for admissions, I'd probably wait a little while, at least till 2nd wave of marks go in, to see if the individuals who'll get a hefty scholarship will drop their marks...=P

So...I'm sure we'll meet each other in September. =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Konn2011 Konn2011

@Omok wrote
=) I think for your case, it's 'cause of the scholarships thing (your theory). Hahaha, if I were working for admissions, I'd probably wait a little while, at least till 2nd wave of marks go in, to see if the individuals who'll get a hefty scholarship will drop their marks...=P

Couldn't resist to chime in here :bom: . I think Queen's is just taking their own sweet time to see if Katzel may have the highest entering avg to the faculty and, if so, will qualify for the appropriate hefty award (or awards). See, I am more of an optimist than either of you :clown: . After seeing how much they offered me, I almost wish I still haven't heard from them yet. Hope springs eternal...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Congradulations Omok! I have to say, hearing you got accepted is a relief and gives me hope for myself. My average is about the same, but my ECs are a least more plentiful. I was just wondering, is your school semestered?

And Katzel, try not to worry too much. I can't see any way they could possibly not take you. I like Konn2011's way of thinking about it. Try to look for silver linings. For example, if you have to wait for your acceptance, there is no way you would chance things by slacking off a little, which many people are wont to do once they have been accepted, so in the end, there's less chance of loosing that 97. My guidance councillor says that is quite rare for people to get Queen's Con Ed acceptances before mid term marks come out, so try to think of Hannah's acceptance as a happy surprise, not something to hold yourself to in comparison (I am so the pot calling the kettle black).

I really hope, and almost believe that we will be seeing each other in september. After Katzel and I hear back we could make plans to meet up for coffee or something when Omok and I get to Kingston!:colors:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katzel Katzel

@Fawlkes wrote
Congradulations Omok! I have to say, hearing you got accepted is a relief and gives me hope for myself. My average is about the same, but my ECs are a least more plentiful. I was just wondering, is your school semestered?

And Katzel, try not to worry too much. I can't see any way they could possibly not take you. I like Konn2011's way of thinking about it. Try to look for silver linings. For example, if you have to wait for your acceptance, there is no way you would chance things by slacking off a little, which many people are wont to do once they have been accepted, so in the end, there's less chance of loosing that 97. My guidance councillor says that is quite rare for people to get Queen's Con Ed acceptances before mid term marks come out, so try to think of Hannah's acceptance as a happy surprise, not something to hold yourself to in comparison (I am so the pot calling the kettle black).

I really hope, and almost believe that we will be seeing each other in september. After Katzel and I hear back we could make plans to meet up for coffee or something when Omok and I get to Kingston!:colors:

Sounds good! I like your optimism! To be honest, I'm not really worried about getting accepted, just mad that its taking so long (is that egotistical? hahaha). WILL be seeing you in Sept :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Omok Omok

@Fawlkes wrote

Thanks thanks. =) My ECs are...they're alright. But I think the key thing that got me my acceptance is the fact that I finished four U/M courses BEFORE grade 12 started. (I took two in grade 11, and two during the summer)...and one of them was English 4U. And the final mark was 92...so yeah. o:

But I am stuck in a termed school. =/ So I have all eight (or six this year) courses packed up on me at the same time. My mid-term marks are going in soon, and hahaha, gosh I dropped like 1% probably.

>=D And Coffee at Kingston sounds awesomeeee. xD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lcstudent lcstudent
There is hope out there! I got accepted to Queen's Con-Ed yesterday and my average is only 92 and my EC's are OK, glad I got in, now I just need to choose where to go :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lcstudent wrote
There is hope out there! I got accepted to Queen's Con-Ed yesterday and my average is only 92 and my EC's are OK, glad I got in, now I just need to choose where to go :S

Congrats! Are you in a semestered or a termed school?

I just found out today that the mid-term marks from my highschool don't go to OUAC until April 28th. Me thinks I have a looong wait ahead. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lcstudent lcstudent
I'm in a semestered school and took English last semester if that has anything to do with it maybe? Hope everything goes well for you! Pretty sure I'll be going to Queen's next year... and hopefully the castle in fourth year! Ahh.. soo exciting!
Good luck everybody!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of megsoleil megsoleil
Hey guys, so Queen's is where I am pretty set on going, however it is the only school that hasn't replied. So far I have 90% as my top 6, and pretty good ECs, my supplementary essay was (hopefully) decent. I'm starting to get a little worried that I won't hear back.

I think the majority of Queen's Con Ed applicants are in the same situation :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Madss Madss
Hi guys! I decided to re register for this forum cus I'm bored and I'm on my practicum right now so I can't go out this week cus I was way to tired when I did so I'm prioritizing :D

I'm in the Queen's con-ed program and I'm telling you guys.. it's so great!!
If you get in GO!! I didn't get accepted till May 6th last year (and there was another round after me!) I had a super duper high average also (even though it doesn't matter now nor did it matter to me then I just wanted enough to get into con-ed).

I'm really good friends with a few con-ed people and I love them so much ! You see all the con-ed people and have happy shmiless wif dem and frosh week was so fun. I opted out from being a frosh leader because I wanted to drink and have a kegger lols..... but your frosh leaders will be awesome. It's an amazing week seriouslyy! Way more fun then the regular artsci frosh.

Just go in with an open-mind... and don't be afraid of the academics. I literally thought I was going to get a 65 BARELY to stay in con-ed (cus of how hard it is (I failed the first Psych 100 exam hahhaha but pulled up my socks and wound up with a 63) and my average was a 75) and so when I found out my marks (most recent one today!) I was really happy. It's a tough adjustment and don't hesitate to go to any of your frosh leaders whenever you're feeling stressed cus they'll love you little shits and they have experience (as many times as you've heard this)

tl;dr, if you get into Queen's con-ed GO and school isn't to hard, it's manageable! Good luck guyyyys
Was this helpful? Yes 0

OMG WHERE YOU BEEN!!! Glad to hear your first year went great - hope you have as much fun on your PRAC as I did on mine (us Queen's-Trent people need to finish ours by March 1). Super awesome experience :). BTW, next year you have to attend Queen's Conference and we have to party, k? :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey!
just got accepted to queens Con-ed for Science ! :)
But i'm not sure if i will be going into that program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Omok Omok

@pennypengy12 wrote
Hey!

=/ they only accept 30 people for B.SC con-ed............................................just saying.....hahahahahaha. go man. gooooo. such a great accomplishment. Plus, it's the same story with a B.A. --- what can you do with a mere B.Sc? =/ (reassure you, once you graduate, and wanna get in teacher's college, it'd be ten times harder.) (okay, fine, that's my impression, but better to be safe than sorry.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Omok wrote

@pennypengy12 wrote
Hey!

=/ they only accept 30 people for B.SC con-ed............................................just saying.....hahahahahaha. go man. gooooo. such a great accomplishment. Plus, it's the same story with a B.A. --- what can you do with a mere B.Sc? =/ (reassure you, once you graduate, and wanna get in teacher's college, it'd be ten times harder.) (okay, fine, that's my impression, but better to be safe than sorry.)

Well my other option is nursing at queens or mac. But i'm scared that I won't get a job once im graduated, soo... to be on the safe side, i might get a BSN first. I know it's a great accomplishment and it's always been my goal to get into this program, but i'm just iffy about the security of the job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Madss Madss

@pennypengy12 wrote
Hey!

GOOOO SERIOUSLY. If you're gonna do a regular B.Sc you may as well do con-ed. It's such a joke the education classes... Prof 110 and 115 was ONCE A WEEK with ONE ASSIGNMENT that took no more than 2 hours to complete.

I just finished my prac today!! I got really good reviews.. I LOVED my kindergarten placement... died in my 7,8 (and they accidentally stuck me in a frikken 9!) MATH PLACEMENT... I was under my gr. 8 math teacher hahaa.

Oh actually tho.. if you don't want to teach and only want it as a back up and wanna do nursing/doctor... I suggest nursing. there will ALWAYS be a job (and you can still go to med school!)

You can always drop con-ed like seriously I didn't go to prof class sometimes and nobody would notice and I got my "pass".... and the best reviews I could get (I think). So don't worry about the workload of con-ed cus realistically it is SO little and I actually wrote essays before in my PROF class (sorry leroy you were awesome in the classes I participated in heh)

And yah for sure I'll do the conference next year I need to start getting some crap done!

How are u supposed to get prac in by March 1st? That makes no sense. The only time I'd have time would have been reading week... I had mandatory tutorials on Wednesdays and Fridays. PS Guys I'm not even very smart and I managed to do FINE!! like i'm not a very school oriented person but sorta pulled up my socks a little to get in and got used to the whole getting B's thing haha. Above average tho.. average is like 71 at Queen's I think... I got like 75!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Congratulations on finishing PRAC 111! I remember how great that felt (even though I still had a whole booklet of work to do for the course afterwards - URGH!). So are you doing PJ now Madss since you loved the young ones so much? Let me know because if you are we'll be in a lot of the same classes year 5 :).

As for how we finish it before March 1, us Trent people have 2 reading breaks so we use them both. Also, some people book a day off each week and do a local Peterborough placement 1 day a week for 10 weeks. They really do everything to fit that placement in!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Madss Madss
I feel your prac is SO much harder. Mine wasn't a booklet... I had to do an observation chart on like 5 difference instances on 3 students... one with an exceptionality or whatever. I knew I was doing PJ from the start haha I don't have teachables. I'm majoring in Film and Media... and I'm going to minor sociology or gender studies. Kinda pissed atm tho cus I just got an 88 on my multiple choice portion of my exam but apparently got a 40 on the essay part??? VERY confused haha. It doesn't make much of a difference on my marks and I did well but GAH!!
I think I'm going to volunteer once a week before school ends at an elementary school. And I just had to get reviewed by the teachers.. :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0