yconic - QUEEN'S engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

QUEEN'S engineering

A photo of jpmorgan jpmorgan
Hey did any of you guys get acceptance to Queen's engineering yet? I was asking because there doesnt seem to be a lot of information on it on this forum; there are more threads on Toronto and Waterloo. So, I'm inferring that Toronto and Waterloo are better than queens Eng? Also do you guys know a safe average to get in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
53 replies

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
I haven't been accepted, but I've seen one or two people who have been accepted to Queen's Engineering; however they were all out of province. Toronto and Waterloo are generally better known for engineering, but Queen's is still a great school for it too. I believe Queen's is looking for an 80+ average for Engineering, so I would say 85+ to be safe? They also look at the PSE.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ngoumeniouk ngoumeniouk
I can't compare them to u of t/waterloo, but from personal experience all the queen's engineers I've talked to LOVE IT to the point of it being a new, very rowdy religion haha. it still holds a lot of weight in terms of looking good on a resume if that's what you're worried about, and from what I here it's in no means an easy program. I'm from BC and the schools that have the best rep here for engineering (at least in the eyes of students) are waterloo, queens, and western
and in terms of avg I think ninetyfour is right, 85+ with a good pse is definitely safe
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Yeah, in addition to the post above me, I have a family friend who owns some car dealerships and stuff (he went to school for mechanical engineering), and talking about where they hire students from, he had Queen's on his list.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plaidboy plaidboy
queen's is one of my engineering choices as well, i was talking to the admissions lady for queen's and she told me an 86 average will guarantee you into the program, but they also consider EC's and the supplementary application if your grade isn't 86. I also read somewhere that a lot of queen's graduates end up going to great grad schools in America and Canada, because Queen's is overall a prestige school and it's easier to get a higher GPA than say U of T and Waterloo
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thats good, cuz I have around 86 this semester minimum. But the thing is my physics and chem marks are my lowest marks, 83 and 84 I think, so will they not favour me because of low physics and chemistry marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@lolapop i dont think 80 is the average, its the cut off for Queens Eng
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato
Queens and Western are two schools that blend engineering well with student life. But please note, both schools receive the lions share of Ontario private school graduates. This has implications that you may or may not appreciate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lolapop lolapop
yes sorry, i meant the cut off
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm so happy I have 86 and 84 now in physics and chemistry, but will they look at my pse at all if I'm around 88, or disregard it completely?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Ghanooj1 Ghanooj1
I got accepted on January 18th, I have a 93% average but I'm from BC
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RossGemaco RossGemaco
Finally! a queens engi thread!
anyway, Im from BC too, had a couple questions
So I have absolutely no volunteer experience, with little EC except 11 years of soccer and 5 of lacrosse. No work experience yet either. My academics are pretty good though,94 in AP calculus, 96 in History, 91 Physics, only 82 in chem though. Would they seriously consider EC's in my case?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yah, I'm sure they wouldn't mind your extra circulars if you have good marks. Just make sure your PSE essay is pretty good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Academentia Academentia
Wow good for you Ghanooj1. When did you apply? And are you trying for the Chancellor's scholarship? Are your ECs really strong? Cause you have the same average as me from the same province but I haven't heard anything yet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

My EC'S were good, but nothing out of the ordinary. Just MUN and Me2We and other things. I wrote a wonderful essay though, I never knew i could write something so good! Is queen's ur first choice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

And, no, i didn't apply for any scholarships but i got an entrance scholarship of 2000$. Don't worry, people in my school are getting accepted everyday. I applied in november and submitted my PSE in early december.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ha, after I posted that I checked SOLUS and I got in too! Same scholarship as well. Definitely my first choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Anyone know what the conditions are for Queen's engineering? What average do you have to keep and is it for specific courses? When do you find out?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

you'll get a package in the mail in a week or so. It includes your conditions (graduating, english final mark of 70%, final average b/w your prereq of 75%), information about residence and your student ID application.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maddawg maddawg
I got accepted today with, but I am from out of province (nova scotia)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

maddawg, what was your average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maddawg maddawg

@jpmorgan wrote
maddawg, what was your average?

it was 93%
adv math 12 - 95
pre-cal 12 (equivalent to ontarios adv functions i thinkkk...) - 95
english 12 - 88
chem 11 - 92
physics 11 - 94

Also, my EC's were fairly avg (soccer teams, students council executive, junior achievement program, leadership conferences)
and my pse was alright
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RossGemaco RossGemaco
wtf!!! how are people getting accepted so early? my brother got into Queens in 2009, he had a 97% average with all academic courses and didnt get accepted until after they saw his term 2 marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0