yconic - Queen's First Year Science Difficulty PLEASE HELP
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's First Year Science Difficulty PLEASE HELP

A photo of Sweet99 Sweet99
I have accepted my offer for BSC at Queen's University. I am wondering if It is extremely hard or if I put in the hard work I can do well. Also, How is the difficulty level compared SFU and Uvic. I am aware the UBC and U of T are really hard, is Queen's up their with the difficulty level?

PS. I know that Life Science is really hard, but how is general science?

Thanks for your time, it means a lot
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy
Generally in first year the course work (especially first semester) isn't overly difficult at all, what's difficult is time management and prioritizing your work properly.

Also, since when is a life science degree considered difficult?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Its what ive heard...

Do you know anything about the difficulty level of Queen's compared to UBC or U of T

Thanks for your help
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@Sweet99 wrote
Its what ive heard...

Do you know anything about the difficulty level of Queen's compared to UBC or U of T

Thanks for your help

University of Toronto > University of British Columbia = Queens University

UofT might be more difficult than UBC and Queens, but they'll be around the same difficulty.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

K thanks a lot

Last question, are schools like sfu and uvic way easier than Queen's, or is their just a slight difference in marking ect..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Sweet99 wrote
K thanks a lot

Last question, are schools like sfu and uvic way easier than Queen's, or is their just a slight difference in marking ect..

Queen's > SFU > UVic. I would say the difference is more in the caliber of students you'll encounter at each rather than any inherent difficulty.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So are you saying a student at Queen's would get the same grade if he/she went to uvic?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
They'd probably do a bit better. Since classes are curved, your mark is relative. The material can be the same, but if your peers aren't as intelligent, then you'll get higher marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

For someone intereseted in going into medicine, pharmacy or dentistry, should I chose to go to uVIC over Queen's just because it is slightly easier? Or should I go the the better school and get a better education/experience to better prepare me. Also, do med schools ect. look at where you did your undergrad at all?

thanks in advance
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
You'd probably be better off asking that in the Health Sci forum.

But as far as I know, Canadian med/law/grad schools do not care where you went for your undergrad in Canada (e.g. a 3.9 from UVic will beat a 3.8 from Queen's, even though the latter has a better reputation). However, if you wanted to go outside of Canada, prestige will be a factor.

Queen's doesn't seem to have a lot of deflation (like U of T and McGill are notorious for) so I don't think you should avoid it. If you can't handle Queen's, then you probably can't handle med school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0