yconic - Queens Internships
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queens Internships

A photo of Alex22 Alex22
Hey,

Regarding Internships at Queens, are they easy to get?

1) When can you start getting the internships
2) What are the salaries?
3) Duration Periods
4) How hard is it to get a position. There must be 300 other students trying to get a summer position too?

ALL info would help, thanks :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of QueensHSL2011 QueensHSL2011
Lot's of students at QC get summer interships, generally after second year. First year is pretty rare, unless you have family contacts. You need to be proactive and utilize the resources that are available (career centre one-on-one meetings, workshops, recruiting events).

Salaries differ based on industry, location, years of study. Some jobs are set per hour while others offer a salary for the summer.

Most, if not all, are for four months (May-August).

The difficulty of getting a position varies enormously. Recruiters that come to Queen's are mostly from the Toronto area so if you are from the GTA it's much easier than if you are from elsewhere in Canada. Some industries recruit a large number of students for the summer, where others hire less. For example, the Big 4 accounting firms will each hire about 10 Queen's 3rd students each summer. Banks won't be hiring nearly that many Remember that 300 students are not vying for the same position. There is a huge variety of industries we can chose from and students come from all over Canada.

Bottom line, if you really want a summer job, you'll be able to find one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jennyau jennyau
If I compare co-op and Internships, which one do you think is more beneficial and why?

How does the process of finding an internship work and how involved in Queen's in this. Or do the students have to go look for internship opportunities theirselves?
Does Queen's have it's on office or have many resources to help those who want to get a summer internship?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@jennyau wrote
If I compare co-op and Internships, which one do you think is more beneficial and why?

How does the process of finding an internship work and how involved in Queen's in this. Or do the students have to go look for internship opportunities theirselves?
Does Queen's have it's on office or have many resources to help those who want to get a summer internship?

To answer your first question - I am thinking that you are wanting to become a CA (so many are now, and you applied to AFM). In that case, co-op is better. The reason being that you will have most of your work terms in the winter term - that's right, tax season. You will be in the office when you are actually needed. It will be fast-paced and as exciting as it gets; a great learning experience. If you go for internships, you will be working during the time when small and medium-sized firms don't come in on Fridays, when people take 4 weeks off for vacation, when they leave at lunch to go golfing (please note, not every firm does this). The pace will be slower, the learning opportunities will be diluted. Also it will be easier to get a job in winter than in summer. In tax season they need all hands on-deck.

Edit: also in a co-op program, you will be fighting for jobs with less people, where as in the summer you will be fighting with people from Schulich, Rotman, Ivey, McMaster, some from Laurier, some from Brock, UTM, Western, Ottawa, Carleton, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jennyau wrote

For a lot of fields, the process to finding a summer interships starts the week before school starts in September: Career Week. Recruiters are on-site and the Business Career Centre is holding workshops on job search, resume preparation, etc. Throughout the fall, firms will continuously be at Queen's holding information sessions and interviews (applications generally travel to Toronto for final interviews). Industries such as finance and banking will undergo the same process but starting in January.

The Business Career Centre (BCC) (http://business.queensu.ca/student_career_services/index.php) is extremely involved in this process. On a weekly basis, they are annoncing which firms are on campus that week, when the info sessions are as well as a posting job openings. You can schedule one-on-one appointments with one of the counsellors as well as attend workshops throughout the year. While finding a summer intership definitely requires active work on students' part, the BCC is an excellent resource, they help quite a bit. We're lucky at QC that we have our own Career Centre instead of sharing it with the rest of the school.

There a few reasons why Queen's opts out of a co-op program. One is that firms recognize the strength of the program and are extremely interested in recruiting QC students which means we have a lot of success in finding internships without having to possibly extend the length of studies. In addition, just as Queen's is a community, the students at QC become extremely close over 4 years. Personally, being able to graduate at the same time as all my classmates fosters strong bonds of friendship and is something that was important to me. This wouldn't be possible with a co-op program. More importantly still, over 80% of students at QC chose to go on exchange during 3rd year, another opportunity which might be lost with a co-op program.

As I mentionned, the Big 4 accoutning firms hire about 10 QC students each a summer (not counting the smaller firms). If accounting is what you are interested in, there are many many opportunities for summer interships.

I hope I answered your questions, please feel free to PM us, visit the Facebook Fanpage or ask a follow-up here if anything is unclear!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BBA14 BBA14

@QueensHSL2011 wrote
Lot's of students at QC get summer interships, generally after second year. First year is pretty rare, unless you have family contacts.

That's nice to know. I am a Queen's reject (wasn't planning on going there anyways) and I have a summer internship after year 1. Guess I'm already ahead of the pack they selected before me. Go Laurier!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@BBA14 wrote

@QueensHSL2011 wrote
Lot's of students at QC get summer interships, generally after second year. First year is pretty rare, unless you have family contacts.

That's nice to know. I am a Queen's reject (wasn't planning on going there anyways) and I have a summer internship after year 1. Guess I'm already ahead of the pack they selected before me. Go Laurier!

I highly doubt that you wouldn't have been able to secure that same internship at Queen's. You were obviously smart and active enough to seek internship opportunities, and would've succeeded wherever you went. I know plenty of people with internships first year, but they're all keeners who actively pursued those positions.

Besides, most company's hire first and second year's not because they're incredible intelligent and have learned all the technical details, but because they display enthusiasm and a great passion for that industry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TKBCOM14 TKBCOM14

@QueensHSL2011 wrote
First year is pretty rare, unless you have family contacts.

That is simply not true. I know a whole bunch of people, including myself, who were able to acquire internships without any "family contacts".

As long as you are motivated and know exactly what you want, it is not that difficult to acquire an internship. The issue is that lot of first years don't know what it is that they want, and that is why they weren't able to acquire an internship.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Maybe I should clarify.

There is a much smaller percentage of students who obtain interships after first year than in later years (2nd year: about 80%, 3rd: over 90%). This can be for a number of reasons. Lot's of students prefer to not be working at a desk job just yet and take one last summer at a camp job, for example.

I definitely did not mean to infer that there were no students who get industry jobs after first year (I did) nor did I say you needed family contacts to do so. Some students do, they just are not the majority.

It's important that we paint an accurate picture of the program so as not to disappoint or mislead incoming students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0