yconic - Queens just pissed me off
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queens just pissed me off

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Suck it up, my family's net income is about 20k, and the OSAP estimate was only around 9K for CS co-op at UW (tuition alone cost 12k).
Was this helpful? Yes 0
57 replies

A photo of blurX blurX
Suck it up, my family's net income is about 20k, and the OSAP estimate was only around 9K for CS co-op at UW (tuition alone cost 12k).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So my familys net income is about 95k.

you find it fair for my family to pay over 40,000$ a year on tuition and res while queens didnt even offer $1000 bursary?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Slowwy Slowwy
I think you too piss people off. Your parents earn 175k per year and yet you expect Queens to give you bursary? Is this a joke or something that you are pissed off? There are many more families out there earning so much less then you and yet, you expect them to give you a bursary....I believe that Queens is giving it to people who are actually in money issues, not families already earning 175k per year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@iKam22 wrote
So my familys net income is about 95k.

you find it fair for my family to pay over 40,000$ a year on tuition and res while queens didnt even offer $1000 bursary?

It's life. There are plenty people who are in worse situation than you. The world does not revolve around you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle
I don't get why you're complaining lol, your parents will still have $55,000 left. Your parents could fully pay for you and still carry on with their lives.

You're not even in need of student loans.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle
In fact, it seems like you're making this thread looking for sympathy. But in reality, there are kids who need to pay tuition by themselves. I don't see them ranting about a bursary.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Why would they ever give out bursaries for students in a family with an income of nearly 100k a year?

Attention seeker is attention seeker.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ToiTeam ToiTeam

@iKam22 wrote
Last Saturday my family and I went down to Queens for a tour. One of the main points the representative said is that money shouldnt be an issue when coming to queens.

So anyways, I applied for the General Bursary, and today I got the result saying that I got nothing...

This is absolute bullsh*t, cause Im going into commerce and staying in res, and my twin brother is going to university this coming fall aswell.

Thats over 40k$ a year for my family to pay. Even if my family has a gross income of 175k, that is ALOT.

Queens really pissed me off giving me nothing..

I feel it wasnt looked at properly, how should I go about changing this?

Suck it up kid. I know people who sacrificed there dreams because they were not able to afford their education even with maximum bursary support & I know people who sacrificed their dreams just to live and take care of their parents.

You should be happy that you have two legs eyes and brain, and most importantly 175K a year. You are not even eligible for OSAP as osap's cutoff is 150K i believe.

Furthermore, bursaries are for people with FINANCIAL need. You can survive kid. People like me with an income of 20K a year cannot.

Bursaries are donated by kind souls to help souls in need.

No harsh feelings.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yatesb Yatesb

@iKam22 wrote
Last Saturday my family and I went down to Queens for a tour. One of the main points the representative said is that money shouldnt be an issue when coming to queens.

So anyways, I applied for the General Bursary, and today I got the result saying that I got nothing...

This is absolute bullsh*t, cause Im going into commerce and staying in res, and my twin brother is going to university this coming fall aswell.

Thats over 40k$ a year for my family to pay. Even if my family has a gross income of 175k, that is ALOT.

My family has about a 24 000 dollar income. I have a twin brother going to University along with me.

Suck it up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LeafsFan16 LeafsFan16
Lol, iKam22's ongoing soap opera with Queen's continues. Honestly man, you'll be fine with that kind of gross income in the household, but I guess you could try talking to them again. Did you have to state on the bursary form if you have a sibling who's attending university as well? Mention that to them if you do end up contacting them.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
175k/year is well above average..im not really surprised they didnt give you a thousand dollars?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of foreveryoung foreveryoung

@iKam22 wrote

This might be the dumbest, most selfish post I've seen so far on this site.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround

@Jack555 wrote
175k/year is well above average..im not really surprised they didnt give you a thousand dollars?

It's over 100k more than the average lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Omg you might have to sell one of your cars! Which one? The mercedes or BMW? Tough call...

But seriously you're situation isn't that bad. If you make that much you can afford it :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote
Omg you might have to sell one of your cars! Which one? The mercedes or BMW? Tough call...

But seriously you're situation isn't that bad. If you make that much you can afford it :)

It's only 175k a year. He probably doesnt have a bmw or mercedes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle
I find it funny that the word "kid" is being thrown around a lot here, even though everyone here is basically the same age. Im not gonna list my family's income here for fear of being raged at (shameless self brag?).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tjozef tjozef
ooh mr. top three percent has his knickers in a twist...
shut up. if only university costs were progressive, then you would be paying the amount you and your 175 000 dollars deserve
:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca

@iKam22 wrote

there are a lot of kids on this planet who dont even get to go to elementary school.. and u have a laptop and complain about queens not giving you money? lol, come on, if you know ur family cant afford it, u shouldve started working couple yrs ago to make sure u have da money to go to school!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ephemerality Ephemerality
...that's bad..?
my family income is barely 10k a year (single parent, 3 children)
I really want to go to Laurier for DD in Business/financial math co-op
even though I got accepted, I'm crying inside because it's a fantasy....can barely afford to pay tuition, let alone residence and such
so now I have to stay at UTSC mgmt co-op, at least it's less of a burden for my family and I may (hopefully) land on an acceptable co-op placement to support myself...
just be grateful
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heyppl123 heyppl123
cant the government do anythin bout the students that cant afford tuition/rez? imo if u have the brains nothin should stop u
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iKam22 wrote

$40,000 for your family to send 2 kids to University is not expensive. Tuition in Canada is cheap as it is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Get a job
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade

@g93 wrote
Get a job

+1

yup, work study should help a lot (not as bad as you probably think, if you qualify though) but you can definately get a job somewhere in kingston if money is such an issue...

but... iunno, i think Queen's would reserve their bursaries for people who actually really depend on it

(your family makes like almost double that of an average family so there are a large number of people who make it less, cuz of the pyramid effect) So.... they probably did the right thing unless you have some sort of special circumstance

40k is quite a lot though (probably gonna be more)
Was this helpful? Yes 0