yconic - Queen's or McMaster?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's or McMaster?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi everyone!
So the deadline is quickly approaching and I cannot decide which university to go to!
I got accepted to the QS Science program and Queen's, and the Life Science program at McMaster. Could you guys please enlighten me on some details about each program? Or are they both virtually the same, because that's what I've been hearing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of particle particle
From what I've heard about Queen's science is that everyone does the same thing and then you focus life science second year. At mac, if you're in life science you're required to take courses that, for example, an environmental science student might not have to take.

I think the biggest difference between the two are the school's students themselves and their location. So I think it's better to think about that for now. You'd take basically the same courses, only difference being who's teaching them. I can vouch for McMaster since I've studied there this past year and I do not hate any of my professors thus far.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lt93 lt93
The poster above is right, at Queen's it's just a general science at first and then you have to apply to Life Science second year. I don't go to Queen's but spots into the second year program are limited but I am not 100% sure how competitive it is, I've heard from some it is not hard to get in but then again I am not sure so make sure you know about this before going in! On the other hand McMaster first year is Life Science and then second year you have many things to choose from to major in ex. Enviro Sci, Many different biology programs, many different chemistry programs, psychology programs, physics, math programs or you can stick with life science! I think it's neat that there are so many choices, many of them have the same pre reqs which you should look into but more specialized ones such as Enviro Sci you will have to take the first year Enviro Sci courses.

Anyways overall I LOVED my experience so far at Mac, I love the people I've met and the Profs are awesome!! I love the chemistry department I feel as if they are really invested in student success and they ALWAYS have office hours and you can talk to any prof and they are all so nice and they try to make sure you receive the highest mark you deserve. And for Biology I also loved the profs for molecular bio. I was in the same position as you choosing between Mac and U of T, those were my two in the end and I am SOOOOO happy I chose Mac!!! So I'm telling you the program at Mac is great and now it's up to you to decide if you like the Queen's or the Mac environment better. Overall they are both great schools and congrats!

When do you have to decide by?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay, thanks for the input! I have to decide by June 2nd :(!
I'm glad to get some more information on Mac, because I know people who attend Queen's, but not Mac!
I really like that it's a flexible university (at least that's what I'm getting from your two posts), could any of you please tell me, if you have any idea, how difficult it is in the life science program? Umm.. I guess I'm asking how competitive it is, and how many people drop out/kicked out of the program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Mac in general is very competitive
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
To be honest, I think you're getting bad advice here. I'm fairly confident that you'd get good advice if you had specific questions about Mac and its life science program, but I don't think you're getting really good answers to your questions. All the more reason why you should do some research on your own. Queen's and Mac are both really good schools, and, from what I've gathered, their life science programs are very similar. I really agree with lt93 when he or she told you, "now it's up to you to decide if you like the Queen's or the Mac environment better."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lt93 lt93
I am not sure how many people are kicked out or drop out to be honest. To go on in Life Science you need to have an average of C+ which is around high 60s. To get into other second year programs it depends on how popular the program is and admission averages vary year to year but when I asked the people at the program fair most were looking for a B average, obviously the higher the better I think with a B+ you are fine and with an A- you're on solid ground to get into any program of your choice second year. I didn't really feel the competition meaning that people were not rude or unhelpful in any way in my experience. Of course you get the odd know it all in class but you get those everywhere you go. Over all if you focus on your own studies you should be fine!
Was this helpful? Yes 0