yconic - Queen's or Sauder's?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's or Sauder's?

A photo of Serawyn Serawyn
I have been accepted to both these schools and I can't make up my mind. I keep seeing how much people enjoy Queen's Commerce on this forum and I honestly don't realize why. My sister told me UBC would be a better decision because it has a business school. As opposed to Queen's who is science-oriented, which means they spend their money on science whenever funded.

Neither of these schools is not my most-preferred school as I haven't gotten an acceptance letter from Ivey, which would be my first choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Chara Chara
Your sisters logic doesn't make any sense lol.

Queens commerce is the most competitive program at the university, it has its own seperate faculty, in its own building, with its own dedicated professors. The only thing that doesnt make it a business school is the fact that there isnt a sign outside that says "_____ school of business".
I've never heard anyone say Queens was underfunded. Check out [url]http://business.queensu.ca/alumni_and_donors/donors/index.php[/url]
Theres a list of just a few of the more famous grads, many bcomms on there, that have donated millions of dollars to the program.
I never considered sauder as one of my choices, so I don't know much about the program, but I've never ever heard anyone say QC was lacking spending money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Chara wrote
Your sisters logic doesn't make any sense lol.

Queens commerce is the most competitive program at the university, it has its own seperate faculty, in its own building, with its own dedicated professors. The only thing that doesnt make it a business school is the fact that there isnt a sign outside that says "_____ school of business".
I've never heard anyone say Queens was underfunded. Check out [url]http://business.queensu.ca/alumni_and_donors/donors/index.php[/url]
Theres a list of just a few of the more famous grads, many bcomms on there, that have donated millions of dollars to the program.
I never considered sauder as one of my choices, so I don't know much about the program, but I've never ever heard anyone say QC was lacking spending money.

+ 1. Queen's>Sauder
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QueensHSL2011 QueensHSL2011
That's interesting; it's the first time I hear Queen's being referred to as a science school... I think even the science students might disagree with that. If anything, Queen's has reputation (perhaps even to a fault) to be very engineer and business focuses.

Goodes Hall is the home of QSB (Queen's School of Business). This is a building dedicated solely to Commerce, MBA, and Masters and PhD business students. QSB is the best funded program on campus; we have our own business career services, academic counselors, personal counselor, IT centre (where they fix your computer for free and give you a loaner for free - anywhere else on campus, you would have to pay for this service), a printing centre with Bloomberg terminal, a centre for international management (they set up exchanges), a café, a student lounge with big screen TV and Goodes is current undergoing an expansion. Most of the services exclusive to Commerce students are services that have be shared by everyone else on Campus (ex: we have exclusive access to 20 study rooms with flat screen TVs in Goodes).
C
omSoc (Commerce Society - student government) is also extremely well funded. It oversees 10 conferences (some with $100,000 budgets), 4 case competitions, 2 businesses and 27 internal committees. It also has a $100,000 CORE fund. This is for student proposals for improvements that will benefit everyone in the faculty. Last weekend, ComSoc Assembly approved spending money for a 2nd year scholarship, 2 Macs for the printing centre and ComSoc Office, Mac adapters for IT centre, 3 TV’s for Atrium for live news feeds on top of an additional $30,000 in CORE funds that were approved throughout the year. Check out comsoc.queensu.ca for the details on that.

In general, to say that QSB is in anyway underfunded could not be further from the truth. If you haven't taken the time to visit Queen's or Sauder, and you have the opportunity, I really encourage you to do so. A lot of people say they made their choice based on intangibles ("the feel") and that's something you can't pick up on browsing Student Awards. I think you would also understand why so many people like QC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lyyndaa777 lyyndaa777
queens is one of the best schools for buisness. i dont think its science based :scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0