yconic - Queens or Schulich?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queens or Schulich?

A photo of SKing16 SKing16
So, I've been accepted to both schools and I really can't make up my mind on which to attend. They both have their pro's and con's, but I guess any advise would also be helpful in deciding which school I should go to.

I want to get into finance/consulting, and both schools are relatively good for that industry according to their Employment/Salary reports. Schulich is a good school, but is in York... a not-so-good location, area or campus. I also want to live on res and there is a slight chance I may have to commute if I go to Schulich.

Queen's is REALLY far from home (3 hours drive) and although I want to live on res, I also want to come home sometimes on weekends. As well, how is the diversity in Queens, specifically their Commerce program? Is it truly made up of "white, ignorant elitists" or are there students from various backgrounds? I'm from a visible minority myself, and although I have many white friends, I've also met some really arrogant, stuck-up ones.

But nonetheless, which is the better school, both academically and prestige/reputation wise, but also taking the social scene and campus life into factor?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of g93 g93
QC all the way
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
You want finance/consulting and you're considering Schulich over QC? umadbro? I didn't even read past that sentence.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well, according to Salary reports the difference is minimal between Queens and Schulich. Heck, Schulich does have a higher average salary than Queens.

But I know Queens is really good for consulting though, but I also want to know if anyone knows how the social scene is at Queen's School of Business? Although I've been leaning towards Queen's, I rather not go to a school filled with ignorant individuals.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heyppl123 heyppl123
york region is so ghetto, some girl got raped by a black guy inside a public building tis time o_o
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jeffhe Jeffhe
Where did you hear that from.

I actually live really close to the York University Campus area, and honestly it's not nearly as bad as what some people make it out to be. It is true that there has been a few incidents in the past few years that does justify the negativity people feel towards the york region, but we have to realize that some things are just beyond our control. For example, the latest homicide of a York University Student is not something that could have been prevented. The girl was living in an private off campus rooming house owned by someone totally unaffiliated with York University. She was hanging out with the wrong kind of person and unfortunately it cost her life. Because of this incident, York University actually invested millions more into security than a university should, so it is logical to assume that its campus is safer than most others. But in the end, you can't keep every bad person out. And it isn't like York University is the only school that has experienced such incidents. I remember hearing on the news a year or so ago about a Queen's University Student who died on Campus.

I've lived in the York region for all my life, and I've never experienced anything that would make me feel in any way in danger. It doesn't matter where you are, just be smart and you'll be fine.

Aside from this, York University is quite notorious for a few other things, one being good looking girls :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of undisputed92 undisputed92

@Jeffhe wrote

I actually live really close to the York University Campus area, and honestly it's not nearly as bad as what some people make it out to be. It is true that there has been a few incidents in the past few years that does justify the negativity people feel towards the york region, but we have to realize that some things are just beyond our control. For example, the latest homicide of a York University Student is not something that could have been prevented. The girl was living in an private off campus rooming house owned by someone totally unaffiliated with York University. She was hanging out with the wrong kind of person and unfortunately it cost her life. Because of this incident, York University actually invested millions more into security than a university should, so it is logical to assume that its campus is safer than most others. But in the end, you can't keep every bad person out. And it isn't like York University is the only school that has experienced such incidents. I remember hearing on the news a year or so ago about a Queen's University Student who died on Campus.

I've lived in the York region for all my life, and I've never experienced anything that would make me feel in any way in danger. It doesn't matter where you are, just be smart and you'll be fine.

Aside from this, York University is quite notorious for a few other things, one being good looking girls :)

If you think York girls are good looking, you either have a thing for brown girls, or you've never been to UWO/Queen's/Guelph/WLU.
Also, all of deaths at Queen's this year is from suicide/accident, nothing that can be compared to the malicious acts taken place at York.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
You can't go wrong with both, they are amongst the best.
Personally, I'd take QC just because more people get into finance than they do in Schulich. Schulich is known for its accounting, since nearly half end up there.

Also, Queen's has more of a campus experience.

But Schulich does have its advantages too. Number one being that it's hell of a lot cheaper.

It's all your choice and how you want to play the game.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heyppl123 heyppl123

@Jeffhe wrote

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/student-assaulted-york-u-campus-165852636.html my mistake it was "sexual assault" twice, not rape, this was yesterdays news btw
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@waazup wrote
You can't go wrong with both, they are amongst the best.
Personally, I'd take QC just because more people get into finance than they do in Schulich. Schulich is known for its accounting, since nearly half end up there.

Also, Queen's has more of a campus experience.

But Schulich does have its advantages too. Number one being that it's hell of a lot cheaper.

It's all your choice and how you want to play the game.

This is actually a fairly sensible post, I am surprised.

QC will definitely give you better opportunities in finance/consulting, however the schools aren't so far apart that you couldn't rationalize choosing Schulich over QC when considering other factors.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
Queen's.

Getting into finance/consulting is a lot harder from Schulich due to the lack of alumni and recruiters, and you better be in the top 5-10% of the class if you want to get called for an interview at Schulich.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of speedy48 speedy48
^LOL

queeen's
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of TruthfulTruist TruthfulTruist
Why not go to Schulich for 2 years and then transfer into a school like Ivey?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah, I'm starting to lean towards Queens.

How are the people at the commerce program though? Is it diverse? Do visible minorities like it there?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@g93 wrote
This is actually a fairly sensible post, I am surprised.

QC will definitely give you better opportunities in finance/consulting, however the schools aren't so far apart that you couldn't rationalize choosing Schulich over QC when considering other factors.

Thanks! I could make all my posts like this if you want... :P

Anyway,

From what I read and some of my opinion, Schulich's finance is a lot *harder* to do. Queen's seems to give you a more broader experience on commerce whereas Schulich's education is harder. Out of a class of 50, Probably 6-7 get over 80%. What I am talking about is second year, not third or fourth.

Is it the same at Queen's?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
Queen's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0